Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fire David Griffin and Gentry

Just FYI Lakers were lobbying for Griffin before upgrading Pelinka.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Surprised to see people want Griffin gone. Looking at the big picture I am very pleased with what he has done so far. He was forced to keep Gentry. Gentry should be replaced, and we'll see what happens after the season. Bringing up the Knicks is a pipe-dream because all reports indicate their offer was trash, so why talk about something that never existed? The Lakers essentially bid against themselves and Griffin made a masterful deal.
    It's overreaction, but the signs of bad bb president are there. We've broken/tied a lot of franchise worst record this year. Griffin for being vocal and arrogantly setting high expectations in the offseason to him going radio silent when team bottom out at 6-26. A complete disregarded to be transparent with fans when things get rocky. This huge mess of a roster that horde so much redundancy. Jrue Holiday should of been traded when we could of gotten a great haul for him vs. AD whom was constantly sabotaging his trade value.

Griffin made a lot of glaring bad decisions. Even if he was catering to build Gentry's roster. He should of did what his job title said and seen the glaring issues in the roster with bigs. Then, pushed back and build a more balanced roster. Cut the fat and trade away all these guards that don't fit or play defense.

I really hope he can build from this and be better next year. His best two decisions where cap flexibility and Langdon. That's it. The AD trade was just a means to an end with best we can do.AD getting what wanted and our reward so far is a B+ player with a bunch of moving parts that haven't done much. Hardly to the caliber to AD.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-02-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    At this point getting routed might be better than squeezing into the playoffs. still rooting for the latter but I've always been a hopeless masochist.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It's overreaction, but the signs of bad bb president are there. We've broken/tied a lot of franchise worst record this year. Griffin for being vocal and arrogantly setting high expectations in the offseason to him going radio silent when team bottom out at 6-26. A complete disregarded to be transparent with fans when things get rocky. This huge mess of a roster that horde so much redundancy. Jrue Holiday should of been traded when we could of gotten a great haul for him vs. AD whom was constantly sabotaging his trade value.

Griffin made a lot of glaring bad decisions. Even if he was catering to build Gentry's roster. He should of did what his job title said and seen the glaring issues in the roster with bigs. Then, pushed back and build a more balanced roster. Cut the fat and trade away all these guards that don't fit or play defense.

I really hope he can build from this and be better next year. His best two decisions where cap flexibility and Langdon. That's it. The AD trade was just a means to an end with best we can do.AD getting what wanted and our reward so far is a B+ player with a bunch of moving parts that haven't done much. Hardly to the caliber to AD.
    I'm not going to respond to all of this, but just a few of these points are bonkers to me.

1) Griff wasn't radio silent during the losing streak, I'm pretty sure he was on the Pels podcast like in November and December. I could be wrong on this one though, so this is only a minor issue. The bigger two are as follows:

2) You say ''Jrue should of been traded when we could of gotten a great haul for him vs. AD whom was constantly sabotaging his trade value''; maybe I'm just reading this wrong but this implies you think we shouldn't have traded AD, and should have traded Jrue instead. If that is truly what you meant then I have to ask whether you noticed the whole ''AD demanding a trade, will not sign anywhere but LA, does not want to be here'' thing, at all?
    3) AD Getting what wanted our reward so far is a B+ player ''hardly to the calibre to AD'': you never get equal value you when you trade a top 10 star, that's just the rules of the game, it has nothing to do with Griffin. Basically any superstar trades gets lesser value back than what is sent out and really, I think with Ingram's improvements plus the future picks, the trade was better than anyone could have offered other than Boston who were staunch about refusing to move Tatum.
    Basketball.

I'd also add trading back from 4th was a mistake as well. This isn't the NFL where 4 quarters are better than a dollar. In this situation you do your home work you find which draft prospect you grade the best and you select that player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm not going to respond to all of this, but just a few of these points are bonkers to me.

1) Griff wasn't radio silent during the losing streak, I'm pretty sure he was on the Pels podcast like in November and December. I could be wrong on this one though, so this is only a minor issue. The bigger two are as follows:

2) You say ''Jrue should of been traded when we could of gotten a great haul for him vs. AD whom was constantly sabotaging his trade value''; maybe I'm just reading this wrong but this implies you think we shouldn't have traded AD, and should have traded Jrue instead. If that is truly what you meant then I have to ask whether you noticed the whole ''AD demanding a trade, will not sign anywhere but LA, does not want to be here'' thing, at all?
    3) AD Getting what wanted our reward so far is a B+ player ''hardly to the calibre to AD'': you never get equal value you when you trade a top 10 star, that's just the rules of the game, it has nothing to do with Griffin. Basically any superstar trades gets lesser value back than what is sent out and really, I think with Ingram's improvements plus the future picks, the trade was better than anyone could have offered other than Boston who were staunch about refusing to move Tatum.
    While you can't expect to replace a top 20 player like Davis via trade you can put the franchise in a position to get a high caliber player. Why would we even make winning a priority this season with 3 1st round draft picks?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    1. Whether trading the 4th pick was a good idea or not won't be decided until years from now.

2. AD was gone, nothing to do with that. He got more than most of us thought he would.

3. I was 1 of like a grand total of 3 people on this board that wanted to trade Jrue. By a huge margin the majority here were in favor of keeping him at the time and it would've been a very unpopular (but probably correct) trade. Point being, hindsight 20/20 and all.

4. I'm not going to have any strong negative takes re: Griffin until at least midway through next season. The majority of his impact comes in the offseason.

5. People complaining about Zion not getting minutes are also being reactive. I'm sure Griffin is taking advice from medical professionals regarding that. Simmer down! We're not winning a chip this year anyway. Patience. This team could look very different next season.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'd also add trading back from 4th was a mistake as well. This isn't the NFL where 4 quarters are better than a dollar. In this situation you do your home work you find which draft prospect you grade the best and you select that player.
    That's just bad value, though. You do your homework, you pick who you think is the guy you want, and you select that player, but if you think (with good reason) that that player will be available at number 5 and you draft him #1, you have wasted value. Cause you could have traded down, probably acquired another asset, and still got the guy you want.

Since we don't have access to the pre-draft information, what if Jaxson Hayes was the target for Griff? We don't know, cause we don't have his information, but it's possible. If that's the case, which is the better outcome: Draft Hayes 4th and that's it, or trade 4, draft Hayes 8th cause you know he'll still be there, and then pick up NAW and Didi basically for free?

Even if NAW and Didi never work out, you've essentially bought yourself 2 extra bites at the cherry for free. That's good value. That's what you should be aiming for.

That's just bad value, though. You do your homework, you pick who you think is the guy you want, and you select that player, but if you think (with good reason) that that player will be available at number 5 and you draft him #1, you have wasted value. Cause you could have traded down, probably acquired another asset, and still got the guy you want.

Since we don't have access to the pre-draft information, what if Jaxson Hayes was the target for Griff? We don't know, cause we don't have his information, but it's possible. If that's the case, which is the better outcome: Draft Hayes 4th and that's it, or trade 4, draft Hayes 8th cause you know he'll still be there, and then pick up NAW and Didi basically for free?

Even if NAW and Didi never work out, you've essentially bought yourself 2 extra bites at the cherry for free. That's good value. That's what you should be aiming for.
    Fully aware of trying to get value. It's just rarely worth the risk of missing out on the player you want IMO. I know the Celtics did this when they drafted Tatum, but it was a super rare situation where Ainge knew the 6ers want Fultz and the Lakers wanted Ball.

1. That was a long time ago. I'm emphasizing the hype tour Griffin did prior to season. He was doing TV appearances, podcast interviews, and etc.

2. Jrue and AD should of been traded. Jrue was in a weird spot of not being too young, and having too much value at his age to not be moved. Aftet seeing what OKC did. It's probably the best move to shed weight in hindsight.

3. What I was trying to infer... AD trade wasn't a great move by Griffin. It was always going to happen. We were being funneled towards Lakers and nothing was goibg to change that. The whole process was sabotaged. It's not getting a B+ players and moving parts. We was funneled down a path where that was our only real option. It's really not that satisfying after seeing the ridiculous haul OKC got for Paul and Westbrook. Glad we got Lakers to bid against themselves. I still wouldn't call the Laker trade anything more than rearranging the farm lands with different crops.

Ehhhh... That draft didn't have much value at 4 for us. Especially, our biggest needs was replacing AD and getting a franchise 5 to help keep Zion clean. We made the most logical and safest move at the time. Hayes just needs time. Which we really didn't have coming into the season. Then, trading for a 4 to play the 5. Really didn't help that either.

Coming to the realization that Zion is such an offensive spark, but his height leaves him in such a disadvantage. A 5 without an offensive presence puts us in a huge mismatch where opposing teams with great bigs would just stick a 5 or simply double on Zion.

I do think Hayes need the right coach to develop him to his potential, tho.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-02-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Garland’s defense is awful in Cleveland! Thank God we did not waste a draft pick on him. Yeah we dodged a bullet

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/...ie-season.html
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-02-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Garland’s defense is awful in Cleveland! Thank God we did not waste a draft pick on him. Yeah we dodged a bullet

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/...ie-season.html
    I think in full fairness to Garland:

1) He was always going to need more time than other guys since he basically didn't have a college year

2) Cleveland is horrifically bad at developing their youth

3) He did play better as the season went on

Just as predicted, the Blazers and Grizz lose. We will make the play-in.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Just as predicted, the Blazers and Grizz lose. We will make the play-in.
    In typical Pelicans fashion.... It'll probably come down to winner between us and Spurs.

In typical Pelicans fashion.... It'll probably come down to winner between us and Spurs.
    #pelslife
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Fully aware of trying to get value. It's just rarely worth the risk of missing out on the player you want IMO. I know the Celtics did this when they drafted Tatum, but it was a super rare situation where Ainge knew the 6ers want Fultz and the Lakers wanted Ball.
    The talk after the draft was that the 2 players Griffin was targeting at 4 were Culver and Hayes. If that is true, he got on at 8 and 2 additional picks. Just because fans on a board wanted Garland or Hunter or whoever, does not mean that the organization had them ranked that high.

You want to make sure New Orleans basketball is always the laughing stock of the league? Fire Griffin after one season. No respected person in the league will ever look at New Orleans again.

Look again we are already looked at that way. The NBA sees us as a laughing stock team. Look at the latest Zion fiasco. This team doesn't have the mental toughness needed to get to the next level. I don't know if it's age or what but it's between their ears and we need someone competent to reach them. If this doesn't work then new players are need.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    You want to make sure New Orleans basketball is always the laughing stock of the league? Fire Griffin after one season. No respected person in the league will ever look at New Orleans again.
    Yeah it’s obviously too early to fire the GM and not financially feasible. Still think it’s fair to question some of the decisions he has made and how we have looked in the PR department. More specifically how he has handled the silence around Zion this season... we have looked about as bad as an organization can look in the PR department.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    We really don't want to fire Griffin, but want to critique and hope he does better next season. This has been a really bad year and us willing ourselves from a 6-26 start doesn't change it. Either way, we are still a laughing stock.

Some of the same people who looked pass Dell Demps performance for nine years want to question David Griffin after just one. SMH

Could their be some dark underlying reason for this phenomenon?

In just one season (under Griffin) this team has a greater upside than anytime during the Demps era.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Some of the same people who looked pass Dell Demps performance for nine years want to question David Griffin after just one. SMH

In just one season (under Griffin) this team has a greater upside than anytime during the Demps era.
    I wanted Demps gone after the horrible trade for Asik. Upside means nothing if you can't build a balanced roster. Which is what really doomed us this past offseason. Maybe Griffin bought into Gentry's ALL small ball positionless garbage. So, maybe with a different coach. We don't repeat that mistake. Still... anyone that looked at the roster should had a creeping feeling that the lack of quality veteran bigs was gonna burn us badly. It has... We shipped out AD, Randle and Mirotic and shipped in 3 rookies & Favors.Dwight Howard was there for easy picking in the last offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

No. I don’t think it’s some dark reason. It’s called learning from your mistakes as an organization. If anything Dell gave us a nice sample size to base criticism off of. Despite having a young team, we have a very talented team and it’s very difficult to make the argument that they haven’t underachieved.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I mean, I can’t be the only person who feels our turnover problem is really simple. We’re asking players to do things they aren’t geared to do. Dribbling into a lot I’d trouble and asked to space and play the floor in ways that are unnatural to their player DNA.

We can’t play as fast as we want without also being spectacular on defense. Turning misses and TOs into fast breaks. Lonzo is useless in the half court. Jrue isn’t aggressive enough. And Zion’s conditioning takes too long to get into the proper rhythm he needs.

Thread Information