Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fire David Griffin and Gentry

Fire David Griffin and Gentry

Both are responsible for the downfall of this team. Gentry doesn’t call any plays,substitutions are horrible, and he just sits back and watches this. Griffin should’ve canned gentry at all star and he is also responsible for the roster and bringing in a defensive coordinator who led a last ranked defense in Houston as our coordinator. This buddy buddy thing is our downfall and Tom benson wouldn’t put up with it if he was here. They are walking over ms benson.

Gayle should be hands off imo. Rushing the rebuild absolutely screwed us with AD (as well as bringing in Gentry), and the rushed rebuild was Tom’s idea. The Griffin blame is fair. My one beef with Gayle was that she was adamant about hiring anyone that would retain Gentry. That was a bit foolish.

Hall of Famer
    Gentry needs to go for sure. Players never look prepared and the defense is absolutely invisible. .

...Griffin?

After less than a season?

Come on now.

Edit: also just ''Tom Benson wouldn't put up with it'', dude, Tom Benson put up with a lot worse for a lot longer.
    Basketball.

Bring back Dell Demps? Bring back Monty?

I never felt like Griffin's resume was impressive enough to hire. Sadly I think he's making some key mistakes. People don't like the "Hinkie process" but for teams in our market it gives you the best chance at securing top end talent all in a similar window for success. We trade should have trade Davis to the Knicks. We should have moved Holiday this off season. Griff went out and made win now signings of Favors and Redick on a team where the core outside of Holiday are still learning how to be impact players. By the time Williamson, Ingram(and to a lessor degree) Ball develop Jrue, JJ and Favors won't be in their primes.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Firing Griffin after one season is the stupidest thing we could do right now. Not even worth entertaining.

Bring back Jeff Bowers

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    We trade should have trade Davis to the Knicks.
    You want to explain that? The same Knicks that did not even want to part with the #3 pick this year? What were we going to get and how were we going to force them to give us any value?

Gentry clearly needs to go, but my concern is that he will not. With such a short offseason upcoming, I can see management sticking with him for continuity purposes through the short offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Gentry clearly needs to go, but my concern is that he will not. With such a short offseason upcoming, I can see management sticking with him for continuity purposes through the short offseason.
    That's the worry for me as well.

It's interesting, when you see the major reasons people have had for keeping Gentry on, there's a clear trend.

This offseason, if we keep him, it will be that injuries derailed the season and we need continuity for Zion.
    Last offseason, it was continuity after the shakeup of the AD trade.
    The season before that, it was that we had made the playoffs (fair)
    The season before that, it was injuries and continuity.

Etc etc etc. One thing you barely ever see is the argument that we should keep Gentry because he's a good coach who keeps us playing good basketball. Weird how that works.

Hit the Pels in the pocketbook and you will get the result you want.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Griffin has some major course corrections to do, but the culture he instilled is that of a farm team.

Langdon is proof that David can make the right decision and is more than a Lebron Puppet that got carried to a chip. I hope this 1st has humbled him and learn that he not only has to build a franchise from the ground up, but also a fanbase. If you want NOLA to have a semblance of a basketball crowd. You can't alienate fans and got to be passionate.

The way he handled 6-26 was atrocious. He build up a horrible unbalanced roster. Constantly putting up franchise worst marks in the 1st year. Never trading Jrue might of been a bad move. The haul we got from the Laker already seems to be slowly depreciating. All that theoretical value doesn't matter till you got talent in its place.

He needs another year and I really hope he shows some humility from it. I really hope David let Gentry built that roster over the off-season. If not... That's a huge red flag for me. A basketball president that can't find talent or build a team isn't gonna have championship squad fall in his lap.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-01-2020 at 11:53 PM.

I'm sorry but what are we doing here ?

The team is in its first year of rebuilding, what did you expect ? The team still hold plenty of draft assets and young players. That's all that matters for now. Competing for playoffs is just a plus.

Now is Gentry the long term solution as HC ? I highly doubt it and I think his replacement should be a topic with Kenny Atkinson available.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's the worry for me as well.

It's interesting, when you see the major reasons people have had for keeping Gentry on, there's a clear trend.

This offseason, if we keep him, it will be that injuries derailed the season and we need continuity for Zion.
    Last offseason, it was continuity after the shakeup of the AD trade.
    The season before that, it was that we had made the playoffs (fair)
    The season before that, it was injuries and continuity.

Etc etc etc. One thing you barely ever see is the argument that we should keep Gentry because he's a good coach who keeps us playing good basketball. Weird how that works.
    There’s always some extenuating circumstance to why we need to keep him. It’s beyond weird. I say screw continuity. We’re rebuilding. Now is the time when you can knock down that ugly non-loadbearing wall and make your kitchen and dining area fully open.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Firing Griffin after one season is the stupidest thing we could do right now. Not even worth entertaining.
    Your a football guy. In 2018 Arizona GM Steve Kiem traded up to the 10th pick to select what he thought was his future franchise QB in Josh Rosen. Rosen could beat out the QB already there and struggled when he eventually got his time on the field. Next year Arizona landed the #1 overall pick. They drafted Kyler Murray most analysts thought the move was ridiculous at the time they hadn't even moved Rosen. 1 year later the consensus is it was by far the right move even with a stud like Nick Bosa having a great year.

I say all that to say this. If you can identify that a guy doesn't have it you should move on the minute you feel that way. Don't continue to make a mistake just to save face. This is not to say Griffin has or hasn't been identified one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You want to explain that? The same Knicks that did not even want to part with the #3 pick this year? What were we going to get and how were we going to force them to give us any value?
    Well we will never know if the Knicks were willing to give up the 3rd pick.. All the rumors leading up to the trade was that the Knicks would indeed include their pick. It wasn't until after the trade was made that things started to come out that the Knicks wanted to hold on to the pick. However if we are talking about just leveraging future assets I want the Knicks future picks over the next 3-4 years over the Lakers the way the two teams are setup (ownership, management, coaching, and roster).

I think BI is incredibly talented but we'll have to max him out this off season and let's not forget about the blood clot situation that could potentially end his career at any moment. Therefore even if the Knicks were indeed unwilling to move on from the 3rd pick I would have taken a fully unprotected 2020 and 2022. Along with Mitch Robinson, and Dennis Smith Jr,. However I strongly feel we could have leveraged the Lakers deal unto the Knicks giving up the 3rd pick.

Well we will never know if the Knicks were willing to give up the 3rd pick.. All the rumors leading up to the trade was that the Knicks would indeed include their pick. It wasn't until after the trade was made that things started to come out that the Knicks wanted to hold on to the pick. However if we are talking about just leveraging future assets I want the Knicks future picks over the next 3-4 years over the Lakers the way the two teams are setup (ownership, management, coaching, and roster).

I think BI is incredibly talented but we'll have to max him out this off season and let's not forget about the blood clot situation that could potentially end his career at any moment. Therefore even if the Knicks were indeed unwilling to move on from the 3rd pick I would have taken a fully unprotected 2020 and 2022. Along with Mitch Robinson, and Dennis Smith Jr,. However I strongly feel we could have leveraged the Lakers deal unto the Knicks giving up the 3rd pick.
    I believe it was Woj who reported that they did not even include the #3 pick in offers. To me that was a deal breaker as they had no real player assets. They reportedly tried to convince the Pels that Knox was a top young asset. I do agree we should have been able to get 2020 and 2022 unprotected. However, clearly Griffin felt Ingram was more valuable than any player the Knicks could offer. He also is banking on the Lakers slipping once Lebron calls it quits.

Your a football guy. In 2018 Arizona GM Steve Kiem traded up to the 10th pick to select what he thought was his future franchise QB in Josh Rosen. Rosen could beat out the QB already there and struggled when he eventually got his time on the field. Next year Arizona landed the #1 overall pick. They drafted Kyler Murray most analysts thought the move was ridiculous at the time they hadn't even moved Rosen. 1 year later the consensus is it was by far the right move even with a stud like Nick Bosa having a great year.

I say all that to say this. If you can identify that a guy doesn't have it you should move on the minute you feel that way. Don't continue to make a mistake just to save face. This is not to say Griffin has or hasn't been identified one way or the other.
    It's easier to say that with players. I'll give you that. Particularly with Rosen who just doesn't have the right mindset. He simultaneously wants to be great, but doesn't want to listen to anyone and is extremely conceited. It's a bad combo. To flip to the Pels, I'm just not super bullish on Lonzo. He disappears in every big moment. The ball isn't in his hands, he can't create anything. He purely facilitates and that is very easy to takeaway. If we flipped him in a deal to add some size and athleticism I would be in favor of it.

As for Griffin, I find it hard to also see him as needing immediate replacement as the returns on what he's done will take much longer to bear fruit. He got a load of assets for AD and Brandon Ingram. So far, he's done very well IMO.

I could see the benefits of the NY trade too. But I wouldn't say not taking it was a bad move on Griffin's part. Just like some want to bring up Bol Bol. Was there even any indication that we liked Bol Bol? I forget if there were.

You can’t fire Griff. He has done an admirable job putting the team in a place to gain assets, and be a force in offseason topics from here through 2023. You keep him on board and let him keep doing his thing. The thing he needs to be better at (and this is the sentiment that everyone shares) is that he is horrible at communicating with the fans. Unless he is trying to fluff things up, he is absolutely quiet. For a team trying to build fan loyalty, he isn’t going about it the right way.

Griff would be best off taking a que from Mickey Loomis and how he built a relationship with the Saints fans. When he first came on the job he was a bean counter (and he still is to a great extent), but he was very communicative with the city as far as the brand he was trying to put out. For good or bad he was in constant communication with the fans, and once Sean came along, and the Saints started winning he didn’t have to speak as much because people trusted him and his work. Until we have a solid winner, Griffin/Langdon/someone needs to be in the fans ear telling them what’s going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's easier to say that with players. I'll give you that. Particularly with Rosen who just doesn't have the right mindset. He simultaneously wants to be great, but doesn't want to listen to anyone and is extremely conceited. It's a bad combo. To flip to the Pels, I'm just not super bullish on Lonzo. He disappears in every big moment. The ball isn't in his hands, he can't create anything. He purely facilitates and that is very easy to takeaway. If we flipped him in a deal to add some size and athleticism I would be in favor of it.

As for Griffin, I find it hard to also see him as needing immediate replacement as the returns on what he's done will take much longer to bear fruit. He got a load of assets for AD and Brandon Ingram. So far, he's done very well IMO.

I could see the benefits of the NY trade too. But I wouldn't say not taking it was a bad move on Griffin's part. Just like some want to bring up Bol Bol. Was there even any indication that we liked Bol Bol? I forget if there were.
    I agree we will not see Griff fired. However my point is it doesn't pay to wait. I personally did not like the hire, but decision makers are much more difficult to grade than players and coaches.

I don't hate the Lakers trade FYI. I just feel for the future NYK was our best chance to draft a big time player in the next 4 years.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 08-02-2020 at 11:28 AM.

I agree we will not see Griff fired. However my point is it doesn't pay to wait. I personally did not like the hire, but decision makers are much more difficult to grade than players and coaches.
    It’s true, however some should be easier (and quicker to make) than others, like when you bid against yourself to extend a center that doesn’t fit into your coaches system, or when you fail to identify trade partners for players that you know you aren’t going to keep the following season. Those firings should be easier to make.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It’s true, however some should be easier (and quicker to make) than others, like when you bid against yourself to extend a center that doesn’t fit into your coaches system, or when you fail to identify trade partners for players that you know you aren’t going to keep the following season. Those firings should be easier to make.
    Demps should have been gone 4 seasons before we actually let him go. I fear we will do the same with Griff.

Regarding David Griffin....think Dell Demps and then reconsider.

Alvin Gentry is whole other matter.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Surprised to see people want Griffin gone. Looking at the big picture I am very pleased with what he has done so far. He was forced to keep Gentry. Gentry should be replaced, and we'll see what happens after the season. Bringing up the Knicks is a pipe-dream because all reports indicate their offer was trash, so why talk about something that never existed? The Lakers essentially bid against themselves and Griffin made a masterful deal.

Thread Information