Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 1st August - New Orleans Pelicans vs LA Clippers - 0-1 (28-37) - Bubble Game 2

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The biggest thing is finding a coach that is known for developing young players.

As far as a time frame it depends on the coach. If it's a young inexperienced coach they get a larger window.
    That's fair.

What if it's their first head coaching job, how long do you give?
    Basketball.

Hall of Famer
    What's jrue job idk even know a more

This team has serious issues on the defensive side of the ball and for the most part look lost and non prepared...looking at the coach on the latter. Where is the actual urgency from the players..oh well

The biggest thing is finding a coach that is known for developing young players.

As far as a time frame it depends on the coach. If it's a young inexperienced coach they get a larger window.
    Lue? Isn’t he a Grif hire in Cleveland?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's fair.

1st year coaching seems pretty evident on how good they are in year one. It's rare to see a struggling coach turn great outside of talent holes. It's not like football where you really have to build a large talented team. You can really see a bb coaches worth with just a small number of talented players.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    1st year coaching seems pretty evident on how good they are in year one. It's rare to see a struggling coach turn great outside of talent holes. It's not like football where you really have to build a large talented team. You can really see a bb coaches worth with just a small number of talented players.
    Sure but I also think you would agree that ''ring in year 1 or bust'' is a bad way of evaluating a coach.

So we understand that while a coach either has it or they don't, in terms of the actual results they may take a bit of time to materialise the goods. How long do we wait? If we start 5-10, do we go ''welp, this coach hasn't got it, fire them and get a new one''? Or do we accept maybe a 37 win season year one, and see how year 2 goes? Personally I lean on the latter, but I can imagine some people thinking otherwise.

Gentry doesn't believe effort was an issue.

Okay.
    What game was Gentry watching?

Sure but I also think you would agree that ''ring in year 1 or bust'' is a bad way of evaluating a coach.

So we understand that while a coach either has it or they don't, in terms of the actual results they may take a bit of time to materialise the goods. How long do we wait? If we start 5-10, do we go ''welp, this coach hasn't got it, fire them and get a new one''? Or do we accept maybe a 37 win season year one, and see how year 2 goes? Personally I lean on the latter, but I can imagine some people thinking otherwise.
    It's why it's really important do your homework in the hiring process. Since Griffin bought himself a year and since his 6-26 start. He really should have robust list of candidates by now...

He probably hasn't unfortunately.

he is right

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It's why it's really important do your homework in the hiring process. Since Griffin bought himself a year and since his 6-26 start. He really should have robust list of candidates by now...

He probably hasn't unfortunately.
    Me firing pebbles with HAMMON written on them through Griff's window with a spud gun

Hall of Famer
    If you want a coach who cna develop young players than hire kenny Atkinson, maybe hire a great defensive assistant coach to his staff

he is right
    We couldn't lose games to start this thing man... We always sleep walking into these situations.

But if it is preseason... Undefeated champs.

Comes from strong coaching tree. Very good working with young talent. Read his resume

https://www.mavs.com/team/coaches/jamahl-mosley/

We need somebody that can fire our players up and that certainly isn’t Gentry with his ‘pretend the first half didn’t happen’ shtick. We need a lot of things actually, but the coaching situation has been of utmost importance for some time.

You are what your record says you are. That extends beyond this current team and to the coach as well.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

This team shouldn't be in the playoffs. Nice story but there was too much working against them.

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    This team shouldn't be in the playoffs. Nice story but there was too much working against them.
    We honestly don’t deserve it at all. Sure, things may or may not have been different without COVID, and we still may luck out big time with the remaining schedule. Our performances overall just haven’t garnered playoff worthiness. We are talented but I can’t say we look like a good team.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Deserve has nothing to do with it. Either we qualify or we won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Deserve has nothing to do with it. Either we qualify or we won't.
    That’s not the point. The point is we need to make changes or we won’t challenge the upper echelon any time soon.

Kenny Atkinson would fit in well

That's fair.

I wouldnt judge the coach on wins and losses until at least year 4. Until then it would be all about player development.

Here's my sell on Atkinson over all of the unproven coaches and those that are open for a reason.

Atkinson, if nothing else, proved he could develop young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Here's my sell on Atkinson over all of the unproven coaches and those that are open for a reason.

Atkinson, if nothing else, proved he could develop young players.
    So could Monty (however once the talent was developed he couldn’t get them to the next level).

Zion played way too many minutes in his first two games. In the first game he at least made his layups, but he couldn't even do that against the Clippers. I'm sure the league mandated that he start at least each half, so I don't blame the team. I'm not sure what happened between the ripped Zion we saw a few months ago and now, but he is in worse shape than ever. He needs to get in shape and come off the bench until then.

I think Zion is hurt. Remember a few weeks back when he was leaving the bubble and reporters said that he had hurt himself? Perhaps there was some truth to it.

TERRIBLE game, no heart, pathetic effort....

Thread Information