Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 1st August - New Orleans Pelicans vs LA Clippers - 0-1 (28-37) - Bubble Game 2

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    For what it's worth...

Billy Donovan is my choice. He's a .600 coach winning with and without George and MVP Russel Wesbrook. And making the Playoffs every year in the tough West (5 for 5)
    They need an energetic disciplinarian that might even micro manage.

They need structure and identity on both ends of the court.

Firing Gentry is nothing new, chap.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Let's please please please not start this nonsense. If you didnt say this when he was dropping 23 ppg, then dont start now.
    He could still drop 23 even now. He looked heavy and moved heavily when he was during the season.

We never saw the same level of hustle as when he was at Duke. Not even close.

Edit: This is not a new take from me just because we're losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Once he's gotten a bit more svelte and trim, he's going to have the ability to tap into his physical gifts for longer in the game.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 08-01-2020 at 07:03 PM.

They need an energetic disciplinarian that might even micro manage.
    That was Tom Thibodaux.

I'm interested to see how the Pels writers handle this actually.

Whenever anything goes wrong people blame Gentry. Sometimes they're super wrong to do that (I've seen people do it after good games where rotations were good and plays were good and we just happened to miss a lot, nobody's fault) but sometimes they have a good point. We all know Gentry's rotations are shaky at best, we all know he has a stylistic preference for 3s over anything else, we all know he's slow to make adjustments against diverse teams, etc.

Yet whenever someone says ''man we need to fire Gentry, he always does this awful stuff'', someone will come out to argue that actually this is just an unfair hate train and try to play damage control.

Now, is it Gentry's fault that we turned it over a lot tonight? No. Is it his fault that the Clippers made a ton of 3s? Also no.

Is it his fault that our rotations suck regularly? That our lineups often go 4 guards with no ball handler for minutes on end? That Zion gets half his minutes with 4-man bench lineups? That we go 11 men deep basically every night?

Yeah that's his fault. Wonder how blame is gonna get deflected this time.
    Basketball.

The Franchise
    It's reasonable to believe Zion might be a bit heavy.. He clearly would benefit from lightening up and improving his stamina.

That was Tom Thibodaux.
    You only hire Thibodeau if you want someone to run 2012 era defensive schemes and play everyone 39 minutes a game while failing to run a good offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    It's reasonable to believe Zion might be a bit heavy.. He clearly would benefit from lightening up and improving his stamina.
    I think there's a difference between saying ''I don't know how much Zion weighs but he might benefit from losing a bit of a weight'', and going ''we gotta FACE FACTS, he is FAT, his career is DYING cause he's FAT'', etc etc.

Firing Gentry is nothing new, chap.
    Never said it was. Just saying it always comes up after the bad games.

Which it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Whenever anything goes wrong people blame Gentry. Sometimes they're super wrong to do that (I've seen people do it after good games where rotations were good and plays were good and we just happened to miss a lot, nobody's fault) but sometimes they have a good point. We all know Gentry's rotations are shaky at best, we all know he has a stylistic preference for 3s over anything else, we all know he's slow to make adjustments against diverse teams, etc.

Yet whenever someone says ''man we need to fire Gentry, he always does this awful stuff'', someone will come out to argue that actually this is just an unfair hate train and try to play damage control.

Now, is it Gentry's fault that we turned it over a lot tonight? No. Is it his fault that the Clippers made a ton of 3s? Also no.

Is it his fault that our rotations suck regularly? That our lineups often go 4 guards with no ball handler for minutes on end? That Zion gets half his minutes with 4-man bench lineups? That we go 11 men deep basically every night?

Then, when, sir, after five years of garbage play will Alvin be held to account?

One of the worst things about a bad loss is how people let it immediately go right to their heads and they feel the need to just radically change everything.

Bad loss?

Fire Gentry, get Zion down to 210lbs, trade Lonzo, turn BI into a centre, start Frank Jackson at power forward, refuse to shoot 3s ever on religious grounds, etc etc.
    no, no, and no. Im not saying the guy should lose 50lbs, jesus christ. this is a legitime concern i've had for a while and i refuse to let my point be straw-maned. He's out of shape, that's why he's on a minutes restriction. You really are just gonna hang onto "Well, the medical staff hasn't given an official weight yet, so we should all just assume he's in the best condition in his life?" Seriously? He doesn't need to lose a lot of weight, he needs to get back to where he was at Duke, or even back to where he was in the preseason. He's absolutely massive now.

The Franchise
    I think there's a difference between saying ''I don't know how much Zion weighs but he might benefit from losing a bit of a weight'', and going ''we gotta FACE FACTS, he is FAT, his career is DYING cause he's FAT'', etc etc.
    I'll give you that.. So we can all agree that he needs to tighten it up, to what extent I guess is up for debate. It will definitely prolong his career. The heavy explosive types don't usually have long productive careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    no, no, and no. Im not saying the guy should lose 50lbs, jesus christ. this is a legitime concern i've had for a while and i refuse to let my point be straw-maned. He's out of shape, that's why he's on a minutes restriction. You really are just gonna hang onto "Well, the medical staff hasn't given an official weight yet, so we should all just assume he's in the best condition in his life?" Seriously? He doesn't need to lose a lot of weight, he needs to get back to where he was at Duke, or even back to where he was in the preseason. He's absolutely massive now.
    I used that number for 2 reasons.

1) Before the season, Gilbert Arenas said Zion should be 210, maybe 220lbs and play SG, so it was a reference to that.
    2) Each statement in the list became more ridiculous on purpose, for the reasons of comedic escalated impact. Nobody has said we should put Frank at PF either, it was clearly exaggerated for a joke.

My point is that you do not know how much he weighs now, or at Duke. People were calling him fat at Duke too, but now you're saying he needs to get back to that. Since people have called him fat basically at whatever weight he's been for the last 3 years, I just don't think it's worth discussing anymore. The medical staff that actually knows what they're doing and have his actual records will do what they can, and we just have to accept that.

You blame Gentry for this team losing by 40+ under these desperate circumstances. This isn't some random back to back game in January missing starters.

Way too much talent for this to ever happen. Inexcusable.

1. His awful rotations
    2. Steadfast attitude to play as many players as he can get away with
    3. Lack of offensive structure
    4. Leaving multiple reserves in too long
    5. Inability to adapt to the opposition are most of the issues.

Then, when, sir, after five years of garbage play will Alvin be held to account?
    No idea.

Personally I wanted him fired and replaced with Hammon before this season, but hey, nobody asks what I want

You blame Gentry for this team losing by 40+ under these desperate circumstances. This isn't some random back to back game in January missing starters.

Way too much talent for this to ever happen. Inexcusable.

His awful rotations, steadfast attitude to play as many players as he can get away with, lack of offensive structure, and leaving multiple reserves in too long, and inability to adapt to the opposition are most of the issues.
    Yeah, I'm not defending Gentry lol

I used that number for 2 reasons.

1) Before the season, Gilbert Arenas said Zion should be 210, maybe 220lbs and play SG, so it was a reference to that.
    2) Each statement in the list became more ridiculous on purpose, for the reasons of comedic escalated impact. Nobody has said we should put Frank at PF either, it was clearly exaggerated for a joke.

My point is that you do not know how much he weighs now, or at Duke. People were calling him fat at Duke too, but now you're saying he needs to get back to that. Since people have called him fat basically at whatever weight he's been for the last 3 years, I just don't think it's worth discussing anymore. The medical staff that actually knows what they're doing and have his actual records will do what they can, and we just have to accept that.
    ok, fair enough. tbc, i never considered him fat at duke, and regardless, i was seeing a different level of activity between then and now. Im sure part of that is being a rookie and Gentry being Gentry, but i think him gaining weight has contributed as well, though i suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    ok, fair enough. tbc, i never considered him fat at duke, and regardless, i was seeing a different level of activity between then and now. Im sure part of that is being a rookie and Gentry being Gentry, but i think him gaining weight has contributed as well, though i suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree here.
    His activity is definitely down. Not sure whether to call that rookie teething problems (he's one of the youngest players in his class, and he missed half the year), the awful coaching and team situation, the injury aftermath, the weight fluctuations, or a little bit of everything.

NAW is the team's leading scorer (15).

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Leaving aside all the potential health ramifications and other very serious and grave real world issues. Biggest thing COVID cost the Pelicans is a full offseason with total access to the facility and direct contact with training staff. Unfortunately, we won't get that proper offseason until NEXT year at this rate. Assuming a vaccine is produced and deemed effective by then.

Questions I have here, would appreciate answers from anyone:

Basically everyone on this board wants Gentry gone at this point. There might be one or two people who don't, and some others maybe aren't desperate for it, but we all agree that Alvin Gentry is not the coach of the future for this franchise.

So

1) In looking for a new coach, what do you prioritise? Knowing that all coaches with really good strong coaching records are pretty much employed, so you can't just say ''I want to prioritise a coach with rings'' or something lol.

2) For that new coach, what would be an acceptable time period for you before you start judging them ''seriously'' again? Do they get a half-season to adjust, or do calls for firings begin if we start 0-3 with the new coach next year?

3) Do you support keeping Alvin on in some capacity, such as moving him to the front office?

Basically everyone on this board wants Gentry gone at this point. There might be one or two people who don't, and some others maybe aren't desperate for it, but we all agree that Alvin Gentry is not the coach of the future for this franchise.

So

1) In looking for a new coach, what do you prioritise? Knowing that all coaches with really good strong coaching records are pretty much employed, so you can't just say ''I want to prioritise a coach with rings'' or something lol.

2) For that new coach, what would be an acceptable time period for you before you start judging them ''seriously'' again? Do they get a half-season to adjust, or do calls for firings begin if we start 0-3 with the new coach next year?

3) Do you support keeping Alvin on in some capacity, such as moving him to the front office?
    Edit: and of course feel free to give suggestions for your pick for replacement. Note that if you say Jeff Van Gundy or Mark Jackson I am ignoring you

So

The biggest thing is finding a coach that is known for developing young players.

As far as a time frame it depends on the coach. If it's a young inexperienced coach they get a larger window.

Gentry doesn't believe effort was an issue.

Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The biggest thing is finding a coach that is known for developing young players.

As far as a time frame it depends on the coach. If it's a young inexperienced coach they get a larger window.
    Kenny Atkinson?

Thread Information