Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zions been out for four months, he's 20 years old and he plays 15 minutes

Hall of Famer

Zions been out for four months, he's 20 years old and he plays 15 minutes

What the hell was that. 15 minutes really

Is this some sort of punishment for leaving bubble? Or Alvin being a hard head again?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Is this some sort of punishment for leaving bubble? Or Alvin being a hard head again?
    Griffin control minutes

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Emotional overreaction that it may be, I don't like this. If he's not ready in the trainers eyes, then don't play him at all. Play him until he looks too tired and pull him? Are we sure this isn't detrimental to everything we're doing in the moment. If this is about the future, fine. Make it about the future. Have Zion run wind sprints until he's where he needs to be. This is both blueballing all the fans and is not helping us win games.

so done with smug Griff. Total buffoon.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    it's totally insane.

Zion was not the reason why we lost. We lost because we can't close out games and turnovers. An argument can be made that Zion made us loose this game and his lack of conditioning should make him leave the bubble. I feel fans are just looking for a scapegoat reason of how to win, and until we address the fact that we lack closing game winning schemes, defensive assignments, a non athletic starting center, and a PG that struggles in the half court when the game matter than having Zion won't matter.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Zion was not the reason why we lost. We lost because we can't close out games and turnovers. An argument can be made that Zion made us loose this game and his lack of conditioning should make him leave the bubble. I feel fans are just looking for a scapegoat reason of how to win, and until we address the fact that we lack closing game winning schemes, defensive assignments, a non athletic starting center, and a PG that struggles in the half court when the game matter than having Zion won't matter.
    Seconded. If Zion had played 0 minutes, we'd still have had a game we should have won. There was a long stretch at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th when Gobert was out that we should have punished the Jazz and built a large lead. Instead, we let them close in during that time, and spelled doom for the end of the game.

I don't know enough about basketball to identify why we blow it late in games, but it's been a problem for a long time, and Zion's restrictions really have nothing to do with any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Sorry this doesn't make any sense. How can you make an argument that we aren't negatively impacted without possibility our best player.

It's indefensible at this point to have Zion on such a low mins restrictions. He's either healthy enough to 25-30 mins are he isn't healthy enough to play at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Griff upon hiring had proven nothing IMO. He had shown more negative decisions than positive decisions in his career. I wanted Troy Weaver. A guy who has made his way in the league as a talent evaluator.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Seconded. If Zion had played 0 minutes, we'd still have had a game we should have won. There was a long stretch at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th when Gobert was out that we should have punished the Jazz and built a large lead. Instead, we let them close in during that time, and spelled doom for the end of the game.

I don't know enough about basketball to identify why we blow it late in games, but it's been a problem for a long time, and Zion's restrictions really have nothing to do with any of that.
    Agree. I was frustrated that we did not go to the paint when Gobert was out. We settled for long jumpers. We should have extended our lead at that point. Instead, our defense faltered and turnovers rose.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Griff upon hiring had proven nothing IMO. He had shown more negative decisions than positive decisions in his career. I wanted Troy Weaver. A guy who has made his way in the league as a talent evaluator.
    I think he did a good job with the AD trade given the cards were stacked against us. His draft is still to be judged. He lucked into a no-brainer with Zion, but will be judged on Hayes, NAW and Didi. Not taking Bol Bol at 39 could be questioned, but I think those picks we got from GS were sent to Utah for Favors.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I won’t especially hold anyone to task for not taking Bol Bol. There were 29 teams who also passed on him.

The only right move that I see is him salvaging AD's trade value and hiring one of the best scouts in Langdon. He hired a great medical staff, but they really play no games when it comes to minute restrictions.

But if Gentry knows he only had 15 minutes of Zion. You have to manage it better. Burning up daytime cell phone minutes faster than a kid back when we had minute plans on cellphones

My biggest issue with Griffin is how he has this unearned clout of secrecy for a Lebron puppet. I want NOLA to have a thriving basketball fanbase. He acts in a way that you think we are the San Antonio Spurs. He doesn't have that goodwill. He's just lucky there isn't enough fans to really call him out. Being secretive about injuries and minutes just alienate fans. Went from the talk of the town to hiding in his ivory tower.

Remember 6-26. Multiple Worst ever franchise losses.. Tied longest Pelicans franchise losing streak. Because a rookie got injured. Griffin did a poor job building this roster and overall just a massively disappointment with how much he hyped up season.

AD made the right move by not wasting another year of his prime here.
    Last edited by Taker597; 07-31-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think he did a good job with the AD trade given the cards were stacked against us. His draft is still to be judged. He lucked into a no-brainer with Zion, but will be judged on Hayes, NAW and Didi. Not taking Bol Bol at 39 could be questioned, but I think those picks we got from GS were sent to Utah for Favors.
    I thought the Lakers were the wrong team. What we were able to get was impressive given the amount of players had to be limited, but the deal was going to be very limiting to our future success. Unless the Lakers are incapable of re-signing Davis and/or incapable of attracting another big time player those draft picks are going to be of little value.

I know I talk a lot of crap on Jrue.

But... if you rewatch the game. He tried to take over the game in the 3rd when Zo got his 4th foul and sat. Jure has 4 TO in the quarter and shot over and over. We had an 11 point lead and it disintegrated during that time.

This was was Jrues, Favors, and Alvins fault all the way.

Such a joke! If they keep this crap up. Zion will not want to resign with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    The only right move that I see is him salvaging AD's trade value and hiring one of the best scouts in Langdon. He hired a great medical staff, but they really play no games when it comes to minute restrictions.

But if Gentry knows he only had 15 minutes of Zion. You have to manage it better. Burning up daytime cell phone minutes faster than a kid back when we had minute plans on cellphones
    I think the Lakers trade won't bare much fruit other than Ingram.

I think Ball will turn the corner. He was playing lights out when the season got put on hold. He just has to get back in that rhythm again.

Josh Hart is the exact kind of guy you want on your team and off the bench. Then there are multiple future draft picks yet to be determined.

To say that haul won't bear much fruit, other than an all star in Ingram, is grossly premature.

Griff also went and got JJ Redick, who almost willed this team to victory by himself last night. I just wish he had gotten a forward for Moore during the season. Should have been able to move that expiring for something rather than the nothing this off-season.
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-31-2020 at 10:56 AM.

If Zion is only being played 15 minutes a game, you have to make those minutes count or don't play him at all. Play him at the end of quarters (particularly the end of game). It's a travesty to have your 'franchise' on the bench when the game is on the line (can't imagine Jordan or Bird sitting when it counts). In crunch time, Moore and Ball, should be the 12th and 13th men and nowhere near the court (if I were Snyder, I would have ordered up a foul against Ball with six seconds left on the clock).

Further, Melli (less than 15 minutes against Jazz) is a spacer with possibly the highest BB IQ on the team, while Favors is a non-factor offensively (being kind here). Gobert was licking his chops while playing 5 on 4 basketball defensively (playing centerfield like Willie Mayes). Come to think of it, Favors sucked defensively too proving totally unable to defend the pick and roll at all. At the very least Melli needs minutes with ZW to open the floor.

If everybody on the roster has to play, then Kenny Hustle needs to get floor time. Would have loved to seen him put in some 'hard hat' minutes last night against Mitchell. He is no worse than the 10th man on the team behind Melli, Hart, JJ, and Jax.

Finally, everyone has an opinion on Jrue as do I. I think the man is invaluable to this team. So much is asked of him that he is hung out to dry night in and night out ad nauseum on both ends of the court. It's got to be very difficult to play with a bunch of low Basketball IQ guys.
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-31-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    I still feel he need more time!! come back after the pelicans new coach is hired and a full off season!!

Let's not overstate it. There's no fireable offense, grotesque coaching incompetence or shouting-match worthy argument over the reason the New Orleans Pelicans coughed up its NBA restart showdown against the Utah Jazz.

But refusing to play Zion Williamson for most of the fourth quarter of what turned into a 106-104 loss was still a crucial mistake. Minute restrictions are fine. Entering an eight-game bubble that doubles for New Orleans as a kind of postseason, and then benching your chance at winning even one of those games, is not.

If you're going to risk players' health and potential infection of a virus that has shut down much of 2020 - which is exactly the reality behind the beauty of basketball's return - you play to win.

You don't sit Zion. Not in the fourth quarter. Not as a four-point lead turns to a dog fight and, in the end, a heartbreaking loss.

.....Bill Reiter CBS Sports

Quote Originally Posted by dmarrero View Post
    I still feel he need more time!! come back after the pelicans new coach is hired and a full off season!!
    I almost wish the organization shut him down in February before he returned. This whole Zion fiasco has been an absolute mess this season. It would have help pushed Gentry out the door, allow Zion to get into whatever shape he needed to for the 2021 season and he would have easily won ROY.

I honestly think the only reason they brought him back was to collect data to formulate an offseason training program. I always suspected it but I’m even more sure based on the bubble wrap they have on him during this restart.

If Ingram's final shot is one inch more to the center, we aren't having this conversation. Why is it so hard to understand that the medical team has protocols based on years and years of experience in managing players as well as tons of data on testing and evaluating Zion himself that go into these decisions. One of the things Grif promised when he took over the organization was that we would have top-flight medical and training departments employing the most up-to-date techniques to help and change the sad history the Pels have endured concerning injuries. Zion has already had one fairly significant injury, which may have been left over from college. He was out of camp for 11 days, got out of quarantine on Tuesday and had all of two light practice sessions before suiting up for an NBA game. The 15 minutes he played was roughly equivalent to what the starters played in the first scrimmage.

I think it should be clear by now that the organization is going to follow the protocols set out by the training and medical staff regarding player well-being regardless of game situations or schedule considerations. This is doubly true for a unique physical specimen like Zion. I, for one, am glad they finally have a no-nonsense attitude regarding player well-being, one based on data, research and experience rather than a coach's gut instinct or a player's willingness to "suck it up" and play. That's how stupid happens.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    If Ingram's final shot is one inch more to the center, we aren't having this conversation. Why is it so hard to understand that the medical team has protocols based on years and years of experience in managing players as well as tons of data on testing and evaluating Zion himself that go into these decisions. One of the things Grif promised when he took over the organization was that we would have top-flight medical and training departments employing the most up-to-date techniques to help and change the sad history the Pels have endured concerning injuries. Zion has already had one fairly significant injury, which may have been left over from college. He was out of camp for 11 days, got out of quarantine on Tuesday and had all of two light practice sessions before suiting up for an NBA game. The 15 minutes he played was roughly equivalent to what the starters played in the first scrimmage.

I think it should be clear by now that the organization is going to follow the protocols set out by the training and medical staff regarding player well-being regardless of game situations or schedule considerations. This is doubly true for a unique physical specimen like Zion. I, for one, am glad they finally have a no-nonsense attitude regarding player well-being, one based on data, research and experience rather than a coach's gut instinct or a player's willingness to "suck it up" and play. That's how stupid happens.
    I don't think anyone is questioning that. They are questioning the lack of transparency on these minutes and Gentry inability to properly manage said minutes so that Zion can finish games.

Thread Information