Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zions been out for four months, he's 20 years old and he plays 15 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Josh Hart is the exact kind of guy you want on your team and off the bench. Then there are multiple future draft picks yet to be determined.

To say that haul won't bear much fruit, other than an all star in Ingram, is grossly premature.

Griff also went and got JJ Redick, who almost willed this team to victory by himself last night. I just wish he had gotten a forward for Moore during the season. Should have been able to move that expiring for something rather than the nothing this off-season.
    Of course it's premature. Of course we have no idea what those picks will result in. Davis could legitimately leave the Lakers this off season. We could draft the next greatest player of his generation with one of those picks. However we are talking about likelihood. Davis will almost certainly re-up with LAL, and those pick are likely going to be in the bottom 7 picks of the draft where it's rare to draft a superstar. I like Josh Hart as a player. How comfortable are you that he'll be here for the next 4-7 years? Championships are built in the premature stage. You don't get the ability of hindsight when making the decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Of course it's premature. Of course we have no idea what those picks will result in. Davis could legitimately leave the Lakers this off season. We could draft the next greatest player of his generation with one of those picks. However we are talking about likelihood. Davis will almost certainly re-up with LAL, and those pick are likely going to be in the bottom 7 picks of the draft where it's rare to draft a superstar. I like Josh Hart as a player. How comfortable are you that he'll be here for the next 4-7 years? Championships are built in the premature stage. You don't get the ability of hindsight when making the decisions.
    We where never gonna use all those picks. We are probably gonna package them and move up every year that we can unless we start to have a huge talent hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I don't think anyone is questioning that. They are questioning the lack of transparency on these minutes and Gentry inability to properly manage said minutes so that Zion can finish games.
    Exactly.

If we are told that he's in the best shape of his life, that there's no injury, and that he's capable of taking the floor, people are going to be curious as to why he has a harder minutes limit now than he did when he came back after a multi-month injury layoff, where he had clearly gained a little weight and had just finished rehabbing from surgery.

Zion after multiple months rehabbing an injury and having surgery: 18 minutes
    Zion in the best shape of his life, having been out of practice for less than 2 weeks: 15 minutes (and absolutely no longer)

It's strange that this would be the case, especially when no minutes limit was mentioned either by Zion or Gentry leading up to the game. Yes, he was a game time decision but that means nothing; players are game time decisions and then go on to play 35 minutes all the dang time.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Last edited by Eman5805; 07-31-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Silver is probably like... I made up a bs 9th seed for this...

If we lose to the Clippers? We are basically done right?

Say what you want, but this explanation makes sense to me.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

When you put it that way the odds were stacked immeasurably against us from the start.

Done? No. Making things very hard for ourselves? Absolutely. Other teams are going to lose games, too. We need to get on a hot streak quick if we're going to grab the 9th seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    When you put it that way the odds were stacked immeasurably against us from the start.

The whole 9th seed thing was weird. Have to be 4 games within the 8th seed. I think we was 3.5 games. We only really needed Portland and Grizzlies to lose a few games.

I think losing to the Clippers will makes us have to go on a 6 game run to have a solid chance

Not really done, but yeah it will be very very difficult. We are almost required to go 6-0 after that to have a real shot

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post

Say what you want, but this explanation makes sense to me.
    I don't think this is the whole story. I think the Pelicans' staff (i.e. Griffin) is dying to get to an off season where they can work with Zion and get his weight and conditioning to where they want it. They weren't able to do it during the corona break. I think they think he's still too heavy and they are worried about additional knee injuries. Looking at him yesterday, I thought he looked too big especially for a guy who plays the way he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I don't think this is the whole story. I think the Pelicans' staff (i.e. Griffin) is dying to get to an off season where they can work with Zion and get his weight and conditioning to where they want it. They weren't able to do it during the corona break. I think they think he's still too heavy and they are worried about additional knee injuries. Looking at him yesterday, I thought he looked too big especially for a guy who plays the way he plays.
    I take it at face value, honestly. I believe he'll play closer to 20-25 minutes on Saturday and by Monday he'll play pretty close to normal minutes. If he doesn't, then I'll be willing to believe it's something particular to Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I take it at face value, honestly. I believe he'll play closer to 20-25 minutes on Saturday and by Monday he'll play pretty close to normal minutes. If he doesn't, then I'll be willing to believe it's something particular to Zion.
    Griffin already said not to expect him to play lot of minutes in the next 2 games. 18 minutes against L.A. and 21 against Memphis would be my guess.

He hadn't played a real basketball game in 4+ months. This was essentially the first scrimmage for him...we worked our starters up to full workload over the course of the three scrimmages and that's probably what we'll see for Zion. He played the beginning of quarters in his first game vs. the Spurs, this isn't anything new. Honestly don't understand the difficulty understanding this. Plus he was absolutely terrible in the game unless he was shooting, it's not like he would have been the difference between winning and losing.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Plus he was absolutely terrible in the game unless he was shooting, it's not like he would have been the difference between winning and losing.
    His defense was poor and so was his rebounding, but we were out-rebounded whether he was on the floor or not, and other than Jrue and Lonzo, the defense was poor from everyone, so Zion's errors wouldn't have added.

What he would have had, as you note, is scoring. We went scoreless for 4 minutes at one point in the second half, in a game we lost by 2.

Wonder if having Zion in during that time might have helped at least a little?

I really believe that if Williamson was in the game during that putrid stretch we’d attack the paint vs launching a bunch of 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Griffin already said not to expect him to play lot of minutes in the next 2 games. 18 minutes against L.A. and 21 against Memphis would be my guess.
    Which would actually be more than our starters played in the 2nd and 3rd scrimmages.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    No, he was allowed to rehab at the facility during the break due to his previous injury.

I am more concerned about him being in top shape for next season and if this does that, so be it.

Basketball Guru
    just dont play zion at all and let the rest of the players try and get a rhythm to try and finish the season strong.....

I get the idea of playing it safe. I was apart for the rest him the entire season group. But treating scrimmages as regular season games to me is a mistake. By the time the get him ready to go by their standards the season will be over.

Well this is one way to get Gentry fired.

All-Star
    The organization has to do better by their players. This is the same type of stuff they pulled off when AD was down here. The Pels has to lose this farm team mentality, let's be ultra cautious with our young players so they can flourish somewhere else smh!

My question: he can’t even go out on the last possession & stand at the 3pt line, maybe set a pick? Favors was zero threat in that situation. Zion would have made Gobert at least take one step out away from the basket, possibly opening a drive for someone to tie. But no, let’s run a one option play for a contested three. My two cents.

Thread Information