Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 30th July - New Orleans Pelicans VS Utah Jazz - 0-0 (28-36) Bubble Game 1

Ah, back to business eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Just wanna note, wide open Redick at the end there.

Wide open shot from one of the best 3 point shooters of all time, or a pull-up 3 from a guy who is a 29% pull up shooter this season?

Hard choice to make, apparently.
    Redick didnt look open to me. He had someone trailing him plus another defender.

It was a good look and barely missed.

The team should have never been in that position. Ingram doesn't attack the rim enough because Gentry likes jump shots.

At least not single game lol
    Holiday: -13 with 5 turnovers lol

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Say what you want about the eleven man rotation, every starter had a negative +/-.....all six subs has a positive +/-. Maybe Alvin knows his team better than we think.
    Yep.

And we got spanked every time Zion was in. The kid is going to be amazing but his team D is not there and we are an absolute turn style when he was in. Unfortunately, the same happened when he came out at the end but Utah got to an early huge lead when Zion started and they seriously ate into the lead every time he got on the court. That's why he didn't play much.

Continuity is king. When he gets some, he'll play more.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You’re missing the context. If had just average efficiency. Everyone would be calling him a bust with these minutes for 1st overal generation pick.

You expect any 1st overall round pick to be good with only 15 minutes and don't get to finish games. It didn't take long for Fultz to get the bust label. People jump the bust train at any signs of mediocrity or unavailability.

It's really not that hard.
    Who is this a reflection of? On Zion or Gentry? Because by saying Zion is the bust if not for his ungodly efficiency, you almost make the argument that he's overrated.

Just wanna note, wide open Redick at the end there.

Wide open shot from one of the best 3 point shooters of all time, or a pull-up 3 from a guy who is a 29% pull up shooter this season?

Hard choice to make, apparently.
    I don’t blame BI there. Gentry drew it up probably as an iso drive to the basket that didn’t open up so he took the shot they gave him and almost made it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Continuity is king. When he gets some, he'll play more.
    That's some circular logic.

Becky Hammon already in the Bubble if we fire Gentry

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I don’t blame BI there. Gentry drew it up probably as an iso drive to the basket that didn’t open up so he took the shot they gave him and almost made it.
    Redick was there, and had space. That's an easy read. Ingram took a bad shot that he's not good at making. Maybe Gentry wanted him to take the last shot, maybe not, I don't know, but whatever the reason was, Ingram took that shot and it was the wrong choice. I'm adamant on that.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    One thing I can agree with everyone else.... fire Gentry!
    Give me the secret minute list and then I'll form an opinion on that.

This is what I mean
    Thats a single frame. In live action speed he wasnt that open.

If you wanna feel worse go look at the shot charts for both teams.

BTW: I think Lonzo should put "2 for 13" in the back of his jersey.
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-30-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

It was a good look and barely missed.
    It was a good look if you're a reasonable pull up shooter. Ingram is a 29% pull up 3pt shooter. Therefore him taking pullup 3s are, by and large, bad shots if there are any other options.

And there was another option; about ten feet to his left was Redick with 5 feet of space around him in every direction.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Thats a single frame. In live action speed he wasnt that open.
    Yes, I watched the game. Anyone who has seen Redick play knows he can get that shot off in that space and nail it. He's done it a million times.

Redick was there, and had space. That's an easy read. Ingram took a bad shot that he's not good at making. Maybe Gentry wanted him to take the last shot, maybe not, I don't know, but whatever the reason was, Ingram took that shot and it was the wrong choice. I'm adamant on that.
    I rewound it. Reddick was not close to open unless you mean he shoots a 40 foot 3 pointer

It was a good look if you're a reasonable pull up shooter. Ingram is a 29% pull up 3pt shooter. Therefore him taking pullup 3s are, by and large, bad shots if there are any other options.

And there was another option; about ten feet to his left was Redick with 5 feet of space around him in every direction.
    Basketball IQ (or lack thereof)

I rewound it. Reddick was not close to open unless you mean he shoots a 40 foot 3 pointer
    We have all seen Redick shoot that shot and make it time and again. I'm not exactly sure what there is to be gained out of pretending otherwise.

We have all seen Redick shoot that shot and make it time and again. I'm not exactly sure what there is to be gained out of pretending otherwise.
    Neither of the shots are a good one as much as I bank on Reddick to make that. It was a crap play

The Franchise
    I agree guys lol.. Ingram shot was fine, though not ideal. It was the best option considering what was available, and what was drawn up.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Give me the secret minute list and then I'll form an opinion on that.
    Guess we are going to have to start a movement.

In any case, here's the scoreboard. Look at some of these statlines and be upset.

Lonzo: 4 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals. 2/13 shooting (15.8%), 0/4 from 3 (0%).
    Jrue: 20 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 1 block. 9/18 shooting (50%), 2/5 from 3 (40%).
    Ingram: 23 points, 8 rebounds. 0 assists. 7/20 shooting (35%), 2/8 from 3 (25%).
    Zion: 13 points, 2 assists. 6/8 shooting (75%). played 15 minutes.
    Favors: 2 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals. 1/3 shooting (33.3%)

Bench

Hart: 10 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist. 4/7 shooting, 2/3 from 3
    Hayes: 3 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist. 1/2 shooting
    Redick: 21 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists. 7/15 shooting (46.6%), 3/8 from 3 (37.5%)

Edit:

Three starters shot 35% or worse from the floor. Ingram and Lonzo combined to go 2/12 from 3, which is what we call not good. 0 assists for Ingram is not a good sign.

As good as Zion was scoring tonight, 0 rebounds from him is frankly unacceptable. I understand him not getting many, he barely played, but he should have snatched at least a few.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-30-2020 at 08:33 PM.

And Derrick Favors out there like he's 180 years old. Like he re-injured his back or something.

When I saw the starters in at the 9 minute mark i knew they would be too gassed to finish the game. Gentry is what he is... a terrible sub .400 coach. It's never gonna change he's just incompetent as a head coach.

Neither of the shots are a good one as much as I bank on Reddick to make that. It was a crap play
    Was it? Sure.

Does that change the fact that between the two options presented, one was *clearly* the superior shot? Nope, that's still true. Ingram taking that pullup was a bone headed mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Who is this a reflection of? On Zion or Gentry? Because by saying Zion is the bust if not for his ungodly efficiency, you almost make the argument that he's overrated.
    You’re still not getting it. Gentry is clearly not in control of minutes.

Would you blame Zion if he had a slow start? I wouldn't, but his critics would.

Luckily, right now... Everyone is putting Gentry on blast, because Zion has proved to be great in short spurts. I haven't seen rookie do what Zion is able to do in bathroom break 15 minute nights. Lebron avg 39.5 minutes as a rookie and only got 20 ppg.

That narrative completely changes if Zion isn't doing HOF level work while missing 30+ games, and benching him in the 4th. It's more of detriment to Zion's development at this point. No reason they couldn't get him in the final minute.

Thread Information