Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: 30th July - New Orleans Pelicans VS Utah Jazz - 0-0 (28-36) Bubble Game 1

What a ugly 4th quarter...

Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    We need to let Favors test FA this offseason. It looks like Willie Cauley-Stein has a player option for next year and will likely opt out since it is on the small contract he took to play for Warriors. I say we go after him as he can keep pace on the floor and hang with the lengthier bigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WE NEED A 7 FOOTER WHOM CAN BLOCK SHOTS. FAVORS IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmarrero View Post
    WE NEED A 7 FOOTER WHOM CAN BLOCK SHOTS. FAVORS IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!
    Yeah, i think we can put to bed the notion that we need a floor spacing 5 for now. It’s obvious that it will take awhile for Zion to be a defensive force inside. I mean if we can a big that can guard the rim and spread the floor then great. I think it’s more realistic to go after a 7 foot big that can play stellar defense inside and rebound IMO. I know Favor is capable of defense and rebounding but his size and lack of speed are going to get us knocked out of playoffs early if we even get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I don't think the players make a decision on a game winning shot based on whether it is a catch and shoot or a dibble pull up. Having probably your best player take a shot with a good look is not a wrong choice. It may not have been the best choice (as JJ is clearly a better 3 point shooter), but having your leading scorer who is a 38-39% 3 point shooter is not necessarily a wrong choice. I would also have preferred Zion on the court as a secondary option down low.
    Players have to understand their strengths and weaknesses, it's part of basketball IQ. It doesn't matter if Ingram is a 38% three point shooter in the abstract because that includes all kinds of threes and it erases the nuance. Ingram, I think, knows that he isn't a great pullup shooter right now: it's why he doesn't tend to take that many of them, and why he often turns them down in game (wisely, until he improves).

The fact that he took that shot in this game in that moment tells us that either he believed he had it, just really felt it, in which case there's the question of why that would be given that he was 2/7 from three at that point and 7/19 overall, or he just didn't see Redick there at all, in which case that's a mistake in his vision and decision making, OR Gentry had specified that Ingram was to take the shot. Any one of these three reveals an error. It was a bad final play.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    up 16 at halftime....come out in the second half and settle for jump shots...turned the ball over....lonzo in foul trouble...utah attacked us inside and stayed with that plan and got back in the game and we did nothing to adjust to their inside game plan......gobert get scratch in the eye and sit out a ton of mins and we dont attack them in the inside but settle for jumpers during that span....... hell you could have put okafor in the game for 5mins to get some inside scoring or fouls on utah while gobert was out......

this game was ours to win....

This is headache inducing but, just to confirm here are the 4th quarter shot charts. My god.

Utah
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Utah 4Q.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	6532

Gentrys

Name:	Pels 4Q.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	6533

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This is headache inducing but, just to confirm here are the 4th quarter shot charts. My god.

Utah

Name:	Utah 4Q.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	6532

Gentrys

Name:	Pels 4Q.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	6533
    Also known as one coach noticing a weakness in the other team and adjusting his attack while the other has no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Also known as one coach noticing a weakness in the other team and adjusting his attack while the other has no clue.
    Exactly. Our complete lack of not just success, but willingness, when it came to attacking the basket in the second half was awful. I'm proud of Lonzo for actually driving a lot (8 times this game) but his failure to convert anything was horrible for wasting possessions, and then you get stuff like Moore just absolutely throwing away point blank transition layups into nothingness. You cannot win games like that, at least not close ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Exactly. Our complete lack of not just success, but willingness, when it came to attacking the basket in the second half was awful. I'm proud of Lonzo for actually driving a lot (8 times this game) but his failure to convert anything was horrible for wasting possessions, and then you get stuff like Moore just absolutely throwing away point blank transition layups into nothingness. You cannot win games like that, at least not close ones.
    I know we left at least 16 points at the rim slip through our hands.

* E'Twaun Moore - missed layup
    * Lonzo Ball - missed layup (3)
    * Derrick Favors - missed layup
    * Josh Hart - missed layup
    * Jrue Holiday - missed layup
    * Jrue Holiday - passed up uncontested layup for a ill advised interior pass

....and these were all 90% makeable shots with little defense.

Thread Information