Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: July 22nd - New Orleans Pelicans vs Brooklyn Nets - SCRIMMAGE

Pelicans July 22nd - New Orleans Pelicans vs Brooklyn Nets - SCRIMMAGE

So, it's been some time. But, putting aside all the concerns about the bubble and the quarantines and the logistics of the entire thing, I have to say that I am very very happy to once again be posting a thread because there will be New Orleans Pelicans basketball again within the next 24 hours!

I'm not gonna post a whole bunch of information here, because it's just a scrimmage, and the Nets are missing dang near their entire team anyway so it's really not going to be a very serious thing.

What I will write, however, is some quotes from Gentry's most recent media availability regarding this scrimmage, and the next few games in general:

Minutes: ''We'll definitely ramp guys up. There's gonna be guys that play less minutes in the first scrimmage than in the second or the third. We're not gonna play anybody 30 minutes in a 40 minute scrimmage, so, uh, the first scrimmage, I think you'll see a lot of different lineups out there because of the minutes restriction. Not really restriction but the number of minutes we'll be playing guys, during the first scrimmage.''

Things he's looking for: ''I think the biggest thing that we have to do is that we have to concentrate on keeping the ball out of the paint. One of the top things will be dribble penetration, trying to control dribble penetration of Brooklyn and from there we'd like to see some things offensively as far as spacing and ball movement and things like that. But the big thing that I'd like to see is that we've got to be able to sit down and guard the ball.''

On the layoff and the way it's like a mini off season for players to work on their games: ''I still think that even playing the 60 something games we played, we have a pretty good handle on the areas where they need to get better. Obviously the whole situation with the maturation of your body and the transformation from a teenager to a 20 year old and a 21 year old, that's gonna in itself make them a little bit better but we just have to continue to understand that growth is going to be there but this is an unusual situation, but we still have an opportunity to understand what needs to be worked on and how they need to get better.''

On Jax and NAW: ''I don't know, I mean obviously we won't know until we're actually in the games to start playing with adjustments we'll make and the number of minutes they can play. I think it's important to understand that we like both of those guys and think they're going to be really good players, we think Zion's going to be a great player, we have other young players like Lonzo and BI, and obviously we have a very good nucleus of young players. What I've tried to say to those guys is that if something doesn't happen overnight, that doesn't mean you're not going to be a really good player in this league, you just need to give it time to happen.''

Just some input from Jax also:

On defensive improvement:
    ''I wouldn't say I had too much trouble with that [protecting the paint], the problem was more with picking up fouls and being in the right spot. Derrick and the coaches have helped me with the timing and being in the right spot and knowing which blocks to go for, stuff like that.''

On NAW: ''He's always had this confidence and been able to hoop, so it's nothing really new. He's obviously expanded on his game but he's still the same bucket, making good plays, smart passes, trying to grow and listen from the other guards. [is his confidence higher?] For sure for sure.''

But that's really all I'm going to say and welcome back to NBA basketball, everybody.
    Basketball.

Denver starting Jokic at PG and Bol Bol at SF is a cool indicator of how absurd these scrimmage lineups might get.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    it appears that the scrimmage might be shown on NBA TV too... not positive though
    Last edited by ramsters60; 07-22-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

My tv says blacked out on NBA TV . How can i watch besides from Pelicansapp

Quote Originally Posted by roberthgrove View Post
    My tv says blacked out on NBA TV . How can i watch besides from Pelicansapp
    pelicans.com

This whole no full screen thing is not fun

This is crazy how the local market gets a blackout

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    pelicans.com
    Can't even do that. It's saying i'm not with 75 miles of New Orleans. Absurd. Location settings on and my cache is clear. Gotta watch a streaming site.

Jax caught out of position in a PNR, classic

Jrue hits the 3, good to see

Lonzo caught on a firm screen from Allen

Lonzo caught on another screen from Allen.

Wow this is hard to watch. No fans. No noise. No announcers.

Worst of all. They made sure to not pick up most player conversation. You can only hear yelling.

Oh and worse more... whose night idea was it to make the court one whole color? One thin black line separating inbounds and out of bounds is just dumb.

Hayes has such potential as a playmaker.

BI has looked fresh

I don't care how bad the gameplay is or the broadcast is. I missed basketball so much and I'm ********ing elated we have it back in whatever odd form this is

NAW on the floor

Nice block, Jax.

Love how Hayes played all the space in that, and took the right angle coming off the PnR to recover and get that block

Absolutely nobody moved to defend that shot lol

Jax jumped way too early on that drive and Chiozza just kind of threw it away anyway

Thread Information