Pelicans Report

Thread: Jrue Holiday Charity Fund for Social Justice

News Jrue Holiday Charity Fund for Social Justice

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...b2a2a469b.html

Following talks with his wife, Lauren Holiday, Jrue is going to be pledging the remaining $5m of his game checks for this year into the Holiday Social Justice Impact Fund, set up to ''benefit people of color, many of whom have been impacted by the pandemic.''

Here's an excerpt from the article:

"For social and economic inequality, we really feel like the rest of my salary could benefit communities in L.A., New Orleans and Indiana," Holiday said. "We felt like this would be a perfect time to do that. Especially the national stage we’re on. We’re the first league to come back and play. Super excited about it, to win but also to be able to help our community."

Holiday said his wife came up with the idea.

"My wife one night was just like, 'I really feel like you should pledge the rest of your salary,'' Holiday said. "Once she said that, it was like, 'Damn, you’re a genius.' I feel so blessed to make this money and play basketball and still have a job. There are people out there who need support."
    Holiday, who grew up in Los Angeles and is now in his seventh season with the Pelicans, said some of the money will support Black colleges and universities.

"HBCUs, specially in New Orleans," Holiday said. "Just grassroots, man. Giving back to the community.”

[...] “Sometimes I just want people to put themselves in my shoes and experience what I’ve experienced,” Holiday said. “Most of the time with cops, more often than not, I’ve had not too good (of) experiences. Is that a coincidence? I’m a pretty chill guy. I don’t do anything out of pocket. Just from that, I feel like this is really big. And I know I’m not the only one.”
    Basketball.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...mpression=true

ESPN article with some more information.

Most of the money will be dedicated to nonprofits, Black-owned businesses and citywide initiatives that seek to bring about equitable outcomes for Black and Brown communities in New Orleans (up to $1.5 million), Los Angeles and Compton, Calif. (up to $1.5 million), and Indianapolis (up to $1 million). Another $1 million will go to Black-owned businesses in more than 10 other cities across the country, while $500,000 is committed to institutions of higher learning, including historically Black colleges and universities.
    "With everything going on in this world, it made me and my wife realize that we aren't invested in our community as we feel we should be," Jrue Holiday said. "This is one of those times to really, even though it's kind of a kick in the pants, you kind of feel like I should've known this or I should've been doing this before. But you're never too late. This is our time to contribute." [...]

"It's not just about the money for me and my family," Holiday said. "That's the important part. It's not just about me. It's not just about the money. I want people to see that. For us coming to Orlando and playing these games, giving away this money is what is important and trying to help others. Trying to support others during this hard time. Fortunately enough, we still have a job. We get paid very well to have this job. Me and wife felt like this was very important."

Jruuuuuuuuuue! You are the man! Way to represent!

Last edited by 13 - 3; 07-15-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Props to Jrue. Was gonna buy a Zion authentic jersey but might have to switch that to Jrue.

Too bad our own US government doesn't see the urgency for targeted things like this.

And qualified immunity for police HAS TO GO. /endofpoliticalrant

Thread Information