Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Officially official: The NBA is back baby!

Any idea on what channels are going to cover these games? When the pandemic hit, I seriously reduced my satellite package. Now I have to figure out if I have to upgrade it again to watch the Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Any idea on what channels are going to cover these games? When the pandemic hit, I seriously reduced my satellite package. Now I have to figure out if I have to upgrade it again to watch the Pelicans.
    Still don’t know if it is happening. Players having second thoughts. Coaches might not be allowed on bench. Yeah I know we are better off with Alvin watching on ZOOM. Still lots of it up in the air.

crap, I feel like I am being robbed of precious Zion time (at least with the Pelicans). The only thing that gives me comfort is this might blow up Lebron and AD's championship plans with the Lakers.

Basketball.

That article also says Kelly Oubre is out, which is pretty rough for the Suns

I just can't get up for this experiment. Players are starting to dissent.

Just cancel the damn season and start new in December. Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I just can't get up for this experiment. Players are starting to dissent.

Just cancel the damn season and start new in December. Jeez.
    We now have Davis Bertans, Kelly Oubre Jr, and Trevor Ariza not playing (Oubre with injury, the other two just have opted out), and now we have 2 players on the Sun's confirmed for COVID. Two guys on the Jazz have already had it. AND the restart is set for Florida, which is handling the entire crisis horrifically poorly, and there have been numerous concerns about the ability for the NBA to actually set up or maintain a "bubble".

I love basketball. It absolutely sucks that all this has happened, for a million reasons, but the loss of the season is one of those reasons. But I don't love basketball enough to think this is a good idea. People are going to get seriously ill for no good reason.

But I don't love basketball enough to think this is a good idea. People are going to get seriously ill for no good reason.[/QUOTE]

I want the restart as much as the next guy, but is it wise? There is an underlined problem with ending now however. The players will have to accept far less and in some cases return large portions of their earnings. This compounded by the fact the owners can declare the CBA null and void going forward. As well as the reduction in salary cap for '20-'21 that will probably happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    But I don't love basketball enough to think this is a good idea. People are going to get seriously ill for no good reason.
    I want the restart as much as the next guy, but is it wise? There is an underlined problem with ending now however. The players will have to accept far less and in some cases return large portions of their earnings. This compounded by the fact the owners can declare the CBA null and void going forward. As well as the reduction in salary cap for '20-'21 that will probably happen.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to comment on the legal ramifications because frankly, I don't know the details well enough to comment without making a fool out of myself.

I just do not personally think it's worth it. If I were a player, I think I would be declining to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I want the restart as much as the next guy, but is it wise? There is an underlined problem with ending now however. The players will have to accept far less and in some cases return large portions of their earnings. This compounded by the fact the owners can declare the CBA null and void going forward. As well as the reduction in salary cap for '20-'21 that will probably happen. I don't want to comment on the legal ramifications because frankly, I don't know the details well enough to comment without making a fool out of myself.

I just do not personally think it's worth it. If I were a player, I think I would be declining to play.

Because you would fear for your health? Honestly, the players have a better chance of ending up in a hospital or dying getting to Orlando than they do from getting COVID in Orlando. And if their fear is that they get it and bring it home, they will have plenty of tests and the opportunity to quarantine after their season is over.

There is about as much risk for them as there was in June of 2018 before COVID existed
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-23-2020 at 08:40 PM.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Because you would fear for your health? Honestly, the players have a better chance of ending up in a hospital or dying getting to Orlando than they do from getting COVID in Orlando. And if their fear is that they get it and bring it home, they will have plenty of tests and the opportunity to quarantine after their season is over.

There is about as much risk for them as there was in June of 2018 before COVID existed
    Forgive me if I express some degree of scepticism that you've become an expert epidemiologist in the last few months.

Forgive me if I express some degree of scepticism that you've become an expert epidemiologist in the last few months.
    Have you? Or do we both just have access to stats and the ability to draw conclusions from them?

You are not an "expert basketball x,y,or z" but you use stats to be able to draw reasonable conclusions, no?

The world has always been dangerous. These guys have always had a 1 in x number chance of dying from many things. And sometimes they have, like Bobby Phills dying on the way home from practice. Death is always more than a 0 probability game, doing anything.

But for healthy 20-35 year olds, the chances of getting Corona and dying is about the same as them dying in a car accident. So, its fine if you dont think playing is "worth it" but playing also probably isnt worth all the travel they have to do then. That always has had a higher than 0 percent chance of killing them too.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Have you? Or do we both just have access to stats and the ability to draw conclusions from them?

You are not an "expert basketball x,y,or z" but you use stats to be able to draw reasonable conclusions, no?

The world has always been dangerous. These guys have always had a 1 in x number chance of dying from many things. And sometimes they have, like Bobby Phills dying on the way home from practice. Death is always more than a 0 probability game, doing anything.

But for healthy 20-35 year olds, the chances of getting Corona and dying is about the same as them dying in a car accident. So, its fine if you dont think playing is "worth it" but playing also probably isnt worth all the travel they have to do then. That always has had a higher than 0 percent chance of killing them too.
    I'm not going to turn this into an argument. Apologies if that's what you're looking for. You've said your piece, you haven't changed my mind, that's the end of it. Not going to derail the thread by making it a discussion about Corona likelihoods.

JR Smith May finally have a job

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    JR Smith May finally have a job

Lol

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Feels like he's been in the league forever. Didn't realize he was still 34.

JR Smith and Dion Waiters on the same team. What a pair.

.The New Orleans Pelicans' rookie phenom has been a regular at the team's facility throughout the hiatus, one of several players the league granted exceptions to allow them to rehab injuries under the supervision of team trainers to avoid any setbacks. All team facilities were closed on March 20, nine days after the season was suspended because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

"Zion has been diligent about taking care of himself," said David Griffin, the Pelicans' executive vice president of basketball operations. "He's in a good space physically and mentally."
    "Compared to most other young players, [the league is] invested in him," an Eastern Conference executive said. "There are few of these guys that, instead of just being popular within basketball, can expand the relevance of the NBA. They hope he can do that for them."

In the bubble, that stage could grow.

If New Orleans can elbow its way from 10th in the Western Conference standings into the eighth seed, a first-round matchup with the No. 1-seeded Los Angeles Lakers probably would be a ratings bonanza for the league. The teams' matchup on Feb. 27 in Los Angeles on TNT drew 2.24 million viewers and a game in New Orleans on March 1 on ESPN had 2.69 million viewers.

It would also allow the NBA to showcase its biggest star, LeBron James, against one of the players who could eventually succeed him as the league's marquee attraction.

"[Williamson is] a guy that drives eyeballs and attention," said the Eastern Conference executive, before referencing another rising star coming off an injury who met a title favorite in the NBA playoffs almost 30 years ago.

"[The NBA] would love to have a Michael Jordan versus the '86 Celtics moment in the first round," the executive continued. "If they could get their ideal world, that's what they would want."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...mpression=true

. Executives for the New Orleans Pelicans pushed hard for the New Orleans hosting idea. When I reached out to the New Orleans Saints and Pelicans Senior Vice President of Communications Greg Bensel about the story, he replied, “As the NBA looked to re-open, they did their due diligence and research on best potential in-market planning and what could cities and arenas pull off safely. So in many markets with city and state restrictions it was going to be impossible, hence the bubble concept” and the following New Orleans bid.

The New Orleans plan included the Hyatt in downtown New Orleans as the campus transit hub and the Smoothie King Center as the game site. Even though New Orleans was an initial coronavirus hotspot, the city flattened the curve quickly and had success in mitigating the virus. The team’s plan had the full support of Governor John Bel Edwards, Mayor LaToya Cantrelle, and Gayle Benson. According to a source with the team not allowed to discuss the failed bid, it was a “bid to help save our tourism and promote that New Orleans was back and ready for business.”

I'm interested to see what the Pels goal is coming into these 8 games, and how it may have changed from prior. This seems like it would be an opportune time to give Jax and NAW and extended run with the core and see what they can do. Additionally, you could look at it as an opportunity to boost their trade value a bit if they want to move up in the draft/trade for another star.

On the other hand, I could see them cutting the rotation down to Zo, Jrue, BI, Zion, Fav, JJ, Melli, Hart and just gunning for that 8 seed. I do worry, especially with guys like Jrue and JJ who have a history of soft tissue injuries, whether that would be too aggressive at this stage in the team's growth.

Man... this could be a wild finish to the season.
    Last edited by Taker597; 06-24-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Thread Information