Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Officially official: The NBA is back baby!

I am super confused. So, you have a problem (to use your own words) with there being no path in 8 games for the Pelicans to be guaranteed a playoff birth?

Your sentence (word for word) was: My problem with the whole situation is that whether or not the Pels make the playoffs is pretty much out of their hands.

Which is not true. It actually is in their own hands. The only scenario in which they dont control their destiny is if the Blazers go 8-0 and Grizz go 5-3 or better. Which has about a 1 in 800 chance of happening.

But, if thats how you feel - its all good. I just wanted to make sure that other posters know that the Pels destiny is in their own hands
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am super confused. So, you have a problem (to use your own words) with there being no path in 8 games for the Pelicans to be guaranteed a playoff birth?
    Berth*

But otherwise, basically yes. In a normal season if all teams have relatively normal seasons except you, and you go undefeated, you are obviously making the playoffs. This is an extreme case because nobody ever goes undefeated over 82 games, but it illustrates the point.

Here, the Pelicans can go undefeated in these 8 games and still have 0 chance to make the playoffs, unless other teams lose a certain amount. This means that there exists a world in which the Pelicans win every game they play, finish 8-0 in this mini truncated schedule, and still miss the playoffs. I think that sucks, yes. In a perfect world, going undefeated should mean you're guaranteed a playoff spot. I understand why that isn't the case here, but I still think it sucks. You're entitled to say ''well the chances of that happening are so remote as to make them negligible, therefore I don't care'', and that's fine.
    Basketball.

It actually is in their own hands. The only scenario in which they dont control their destiny is if the Blazers go 8-0 and Grizz go 5-3 or better. Which has about a 1 in 800 chance of happening.

But, if thats how you feel - its all good. I just wanted to make sure that other posters know that the Pels destiny is in their own hands
    It actually isn't in their own hands. If there is a scenario in which the Pelicans do not control their own destiny, then they don't control their own destiny. Placing an arbitrary likelihood on that scenario does not change the meaning of "control their own destiny." Words have meanings. Phrases do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago75 View Post
    BTW I just got over having Covid19. I ran a 102+ degree fever for 3 days. I read how 2 biomedical labs have had successful tests with Ashwagandha and Propalis. I started taking them and the difference was amazing. I pretty much was over it in 1.5 weeks after a pretty bad start
    Glad to hear you made it through that dago.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    It actually isn't in their own hands. If there is a scenario in which the Pelicans do not control their own destiny, then they don't control their own destiny. Placing an arbitrary likelihood on that scenario does not change the meaning of "control their own destiny." Words have meanings. Phrases do too.
    It's actually not arbitrary. The Blazers going 8-0 and the Grizz going 5-1 or 6-0 in their 6 non Pelicans and Blazers games is 1 in 800.

So, sure, if he wants to be upset about the most unlikely of scenarios keeping the Pelicans out of the playoffs when it was looking like they wouldn't even get a shot at it 3 weeks ago, that is his prerogative

My lone goal is to show that it is not as out of the Pelicans hands as he implied in his post. In fact, in most sims the Pels only have to go 5-3, with one of those wins coming against the Kings, to get into the play in. And if they can't go 5-3 against that schedule, they don't deserve to have a shot at the playoffs

Honestly, if the Grizz go 7-1, only losing to us....they deserve to be in. I'd be sad but ok with it.

That being said, I think they lose more games than us and we have a gnarly play in with us being the 9 seed.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Honestly, if the Grizz go 7-1, only losing to us....they deserve to be in. I'd be sad but ok with it.

That being said, I think they lose more games than us and we have a gnarly play in with us being the 9 seed.
    If the Pels dont make the play in, it wont be because they were robbed IMO. They should go at least 5-3 and beat the Kings at least once, and if they do that they make the play in about 84 out of 100 simulations. And honestly, if the Blazers go 5-3 (or better) against their schedule, I would think they deserved the spot - even though we swept them.

However it plays out, it plays out. Just no major injuries and I am happy

. Just no major injuries and I am happy
    Agree 100% the most important part of this.

Basketball is SO streaky and we have such a young core. Imma start guarding my heart. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Basketball is SO streaky and we have such a young core. Imma start guarding my heart. Lol
    I'm going to do my best to just enjoy each, individual game as much as I can and largely try to forget about the playoff possibility. We have a shot to make it, but it also wouldn't be weird if we missed it. Either way, there will be an argument that the result is an artifact of the modified season: people will argue that the huge gap in the season ruined chemistry and rhythm, for example, regardless of outcome. So while obviously I want the playoffs, I think that would be cool, I'm going to try to avoid letting it impact my enjoyment of the night to night product.

Yeah will just try to enjoy this extremely weird scenario of games.

Do not forget that this young team started the year 6-22 with numerous injuries and terrible rotations.

Have gone 22-14 since then, which is extremely impressive.

Word is 3 of our players caught the covid.

Our only real chance is if more players sit out to be honest.

Apparently Gentry says he can't really imagine players across the league bearing heavy minutes during the 8 game restart, given how long they've been off and stuff.

Makes some sense, of course, it's hard to just jump immediately into 35 minutes a game, but I am not looking forward to Zion going back to 2.5 minute stints where he doesn't even touch the ball

Stotts confirmed he has not ruled out throwing the season

So this picture is making the rounds at the moment

In fairness, he does look to be in very good shape right now

Thread Information