Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Officially official: The NBA is back baby!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ve-coronavirus

So Westbrook has tested positive and for some reason Harden hasn’t joined the team yet. At the end of the day, is the championship team going to be the one who has the most players with antibodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ve-coronavirus

So Westbrook has tested positive and for some reason Harden hasn’t joined the team yet. At the end of the day, is the championship team going to be the one who has the most players with antibodies?
    I see it as being fairly obvious at this point that anyone who is reporting to the bubble late without an already public explanation as to why, has coronavirus. So in my view, yes, Harden probably has coronavirus.

I will note that the players with the disease being caught early and kept out of the bubble is probably what the NBA was hoping for when they did pre-bubble testing on all teams.

The long lasting after effects of COVID-19 however, seem to be being totally ignored by the NBA and many of the fans in general.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The long lasting after effects of COVID-19 however, seem to be being totally ignored by the NBA and many of the fans in general.
    I think a pretty simple risk analysis shows the benefits of playing outweigh the after effects of Covid, from a player's perspective. If a player wants to play, I don't think there's any moral dilemma in terms of fan support.

Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-13-2020 at 04:07 PM.

I think it's a bit extreme to say they are "crumbling". It's not like Rondo is their win factor.

What is concerning for them though is that they now have basically one lead ball handler and he's LeBron. LeBron is incredible, but he's also 35 and we've seen what can happen when a team, even a good team, has to rely on LeBron to initiate everything at all times, and which therefore struggles when he's on the bench.

It's kind of funny, in his final season in New Orleans, Anthony Davis was showing those strides as a passer we had always wanted. He wasn't suddenly Jokic or anything but he looked more decisive; I remember a bunch of nifty passes from the first half of that year where I was pleasantly surprised. Since going to LA, that part of his game has basically vanished again.

Would be very useful for them if it could show back up, but that would require a team that can generate off ball looks, which outside of Danny Green and Caruso they really don't have.
    Wonder if Isaiah Thomas ends up signing with them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    It turns out that neither Jaxson Hayes or E'twaun Moore are Zion stoppers.
    Jaxson still looks too thin to me. I'm impatiently waiting for some of Jaxson's father's football genes to kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wonder if Isaiah Thomas ends up signing with them now.
    I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that rosters to enter the bubble had to be finalised a short while ago. I think JR Smith got there just before the deadline. That would mean that IT cannot join the team, or any team, now.

Jaxson still looks too thin to me. I'm impatiently waiting for some of Jaxson's father's football genes to kick in.
    In Jax's defense, it's been barely a year since he was drafted, about 4 months of which were spent during quarantine without real full time access to the team and the training staff and the facilities, and he's still so young. Give it a while, nobody expects you to put on 25lbs of lean muscle that quickly.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that rosters to enter the bubble had to be finalised a short while ago. I think JR Smith got there just before the deadline. That would mean that IT cannot join the team, or any team, now.
    You may be right. Replacements may only be allowed for COVID positive players lost now.

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/pe...th-improvement

When an NBA head coach describes younger players and their “growth,” he nearly always means that figuratively, referring to a rookie or early-career pro maturing or improving in some way basketball-wise. On Monday, Alvin Gentry actually meant it literally, while discussing 21-year-old New Orleans guard Nickeil Alexander-Walker, who grew by three-quarters of an inch during the NBA’s hiatus.

I don't see the appeal of adding too much weight in the current NBA. Just look at Gasol and Jokic, both are center with low post skills and yet they decided to lose weight.

I can't envision Jaxson adding elaborated low post game so adding weight has no real value except the defensive part but mobility trump weight with the widespread small ball. Keeping him thin helps him to switch effectively on the P&R. If you look into the previous post-season this ability is key to keep a big in the game. He will surely fill his frame but there's no need to rush it in my opinion

As a medical doctor, I don't think there is compelling evidence of long-term effects of Covid-19 infection in asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic individuals, which has been the case with most of these guys. Not to say that it's impossible, as even asymptomatic cases have had evidence of short-term changes consistent with atypical pneumonia on chest CT, but to my knowledge there isn't evidence to date that clinically asymptomatic infections have long-term issues. There is considerable anecdotal/case report level evidence that people infected with Covid who get significantly ill have all sorts of long term effects, but the sickest NBA player we've heard about publicly was Spencer Dinwiddie, who was having issues exercising a couple weeks into infection. I would be a bit worried about him, but less so about the others based upon what we know so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I don't see the appeal of adding too much weight in the current NBA. Just look at Gasol and Jokic, both are center with low post skills and yet they decided to lose weight.

I can't envision Jaxson adding elaborated low post game so adding weight has no real value except the defensive part but mobility trump weight with the widespread small ball. Keeping him thin helps him to switch effectively on the P&R. If you look into the previous post-season this ability is key to keep a big in the game. He will surely fill his frame but there's no need to rush it in my opinion
    Both Gasol and Jokic are built differently to Jax and, until very very recently for Jokic, still outweighed him by like 20lbs each at minimum. In fact, given the differences in frame and build, I would be surprised if Gasol doesn't still outweigh Jax by a good 15 or 20lbs despite seemingly dropping about 20lbs. Nobody is demanding for Jax to bulk up to 270, they're just wanting him to, as you say, fill out his frame comfortably so that he doesn't get thrown around like a ragdoll by Steven Adams again.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-14-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    As a medical doctor, I don't think there is compelling evidence of long-term effects of Covid-19 infection in asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic individuals, which has been the case with most of these guys. Not to say that it's impossible, as even asymptomatic cases have had evidence of short-term changes consistent with atypical pneumonia on chest CT, but to my knowledge there isn't evidence to date that clinically asymptomatic infections have long-term issues. There is considerable anecdotal/case report level evidence that people infected with Covid who get significantly ill have all sorts of long term effects, but the sickest NBA player we've heard about publicly was Spencer Dinwiddie, who was having issues exercising a couple weeks into infection. I would be a bit worried about him, but less so about the others based upon what we know so far.
    Well, this is where I'll cede the argument because I am not, nor would I ever pretend to be, a medical expert.

My only dispute is that, while you say that you don't think there's compelling evidence, that does seem to be a fairly unsettled matter. You say that you don't think there's compelling evidence, but it seems that fairly regularly we're hearing another report from another doctor or another hospital or another medical journal or organisation warning of potential long term issues. While it may be the case that these concerns will add up to just concerns (maybe it turns out that all of the suspicions are incorrect) but since it seems that we don't actually know, I personally feel like it makes sense to proceed with an abundance of caution.

Beyond that, I can't and won't comment because I'm not qualified to make the judgement calls myself.

My only dispute is that, while you say that you don't think there's compelling evidence, that does seem to be a fairly unsettled matter. You say that you don't think there's compelling evidence, but it seems that fairly regularly we're hearing another report from another doctor or another hospital or another medical journal or organisation warning of potential long term issues. While it may be the case that these concerns will add up to just concerns (maybe it turns out that all of the suspicions are incorrect) but since it seems that we don't actually know, I personally feel like it makes sense to proceed with an abundance of caution.

To clarify: I think it's indisputable that symptomatic Covid-19 infection has long-term manifestations in some people (post-inflammatory changes in the lungs, changes in heart muscle, very rarely inflammatory changes in the brain, residual effects of blood clots caused by the virus resulting in strokes or limb ischemia, etc.) The number of people with these issues is probably relatively small and seems to happen more in people with more serious infections. However with how widespread this virus is there will still be a lot of people with those things happening. People with critical illness of any sort, but especially sepsis, are also at a high risk of long-term cognitive and functional impairment after surviving their illness for reasons that aren't entirely understood. I think there will be many thousands or millions of survivors of serious Covid-19 infections who were hospitalized and placed on ventilators with those sorts of long-term issues by the time this is over.

For those who have Covid but no symptoms (the CDC estimates 40% of infections, I am not an epidemiologist but this number seems REALLY low to me), there have not been reports to date that any of that stuff happens.

It's entirely possible that there could be long-term effects of apparently asymptomatic infection. Some people think a condition called encephalitis lethargica, a terrible neurologic illness which was prevalent in the 1920s and subsequently disappeared, could have been related to the influenza pandemic which ravaged the world immediately before that. But there isn't a good reason to believe that it's likely that will happen with Covid-19.

As a matter of policy, I am not sure how the NBA should account for potential long-term effects of Covid-19. I think the NBA testing data so far suggests that with the way community spread currently exists in America, it is unlikely that playing in the bubble will be more dangerous than living normally for the average player, but it is definitely less safe than being locked in your house. I think doing cardiac screening for players with positive tests returning to play, which I think I read somewhere was being done, makes sense. The ethics of test consumption, etc. required to make this happen is an entirely different question.

Gentry to Lonzo: ''There's no reason you shouldn't be an 80% foul shooter'' and telling him he should be driving and getting ''at least 5'' foul shots a game.

5 FTAs a game, 80%. That's Gentry's expectation.

For Lonzo, I'd be ecstatic with the median between his stats this year and Gentry's expectation when we start play. 70% on 3 attempts per game would be a huge boost for him and for the team.

Uhhh where's Zion?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Uhhh where's Zion?
    The Pels posted this picture from today as well:

You can see Zion behind a couple people on the left of the picture, so he was definitely there.

He's also in the ''coach gentry mic'd up'' video, shooting 3s and practicing screen and roll stuff
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-14-2020 at 05:14 PM.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...rus-quarantine

Harrison Barnes announced Tuesday he has tested positive for the coronavirus, making him the fourth such Sacramento Kings player in the days and weeks leading up to the NBA's restart in Orlando, Florida.

Did they ever say who the three Pelicans were that tested positive for Covid?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I sure don't know. Now that we've seen Okafor, NAW, Frank, and Kenny, that's everyone I suspected. I guess once you pass a test, you no longer need to worry about who had what now? Odd.

Nope. But they play the Kings twice so need to keep an eye on their situation.

Thread Information