Pelicans Report

Thread: Woj Bomb: NBA Returning?

NBA Woj Bomb: NBA Returning?

Basketball.

Glad they finally got rid of conference seeding and going with best overall standings. I hope they make that permanent. We would be a lock for playoffs ever years if we didn't have to fight for a bs standing that doesn't even make sense since we play every team in the league anyways.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Yes!! This is awesome news - the Pels are back baby.

Dang it.......

My boss just told me to stop doing the running man in the lobby
    I’m old school, lol

Grizzly fans so salty rn lol

I'm not sure why Grizzlies fans are so mad. Imo this gives them an even better chance of making the playoffs than they had if the season finished out. Basically, if they win half of their games, all they'll have to do is win one of two games against the 9 seed to make the playoffs.

Basically, they get a 50% chance at making it, which is much higher than it would've been if the season finished normally.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    So how many games are played before we know if the pels are in the playoffs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Glad they finally got rid of conference seeding and going with best overall standings. I hope they make that permanent. We would be a lock for playoffs ever years if we didn't have to fight for a bs standing that doesn't even make sense since we play every team in the league anyways.
    Just getting in but I didn't see where they are doing that....are they doing that?
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Just getting in but I didn't see where they are doing that....are they doing that?
    Ah, I read that wrong.

Which doesn't make sense. The East only 1 team and that team is 5.5 GB.

That is so trash. I don't understand why they bother. I really wish we do away with confrence seedling
    Last edited by Taker597; 06-03-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Ah, I read that wrong.

Which doesn't make sense. The East only 1 team and that team is 5.5 GB.

That is so trash. I don't understand why they bother. I really wish we do away with confrence seedling
    That change would require 20 out of 30 teams voting yes.

All 15 East teams will vote no. So, thats why it wont happen. Plain and simple. And if it wont happen in the future permanently, why do it for one year - in a season many will already say invalidates the champion.

I know you wont like the answers, but you said you didnt understand why they didnt do it....that is the reasoning
    @mcnamara247

From my judgement, it's still a fairly long shot for us to make the playoffs. Shortening the season (Which is essentially what they're doing by limiting it to 8 more games) hurts us because of how soft our end-year schedule was compared to other teams. We had the 2nd easiest schedule left out of the 22 teams that are being considered here, and now the impact of that (especially compared to a team like the Grizzlies who had the hardest schedule left) is diminished because neither we nor anyone else gets to experience that full schedule.

Still, l'm grateful that

A) There will be more Pelicans basketball to watch
    B) We will get more of a chance to see Zion play
    C) We still have a chance to make the playoffs, even if small

And l'll take that.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So we'll have basketball by the end of July, eh? Gives the dudes basically two months to grind back into shape. And it also sounds like the lottery and combine will be in August? With the draft occurring in like September? The playoffs might be starting around then, no? Or getting really close to it.

So then there wouldn't be time for any summer league, which would be fall or winter league, right?

All-Star
    we just have to be within 4 games of 8th then there is a "play-in" tournament whatever that means. A series of games between 8th and 9th?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    From my judgement, it's still a fairly long shot for us to make the playoffs. Shortening the season (Which is essentially what they're doing by limiting it to 8 more games) hurts us because of how soft our end-year schedule was compared to other teams. We had the 2nd easiest schedule left out of the 22 teams that are being considered here, and now the impact of that (especially compared to a team like the Grizzlies who had the hardest schedule left) is diminished because neither we nor anyone else gets to experience that full schedule.

Still, l'm grateful that

A) There will be more Pelicans basketball to watch
    B) We will get more of a chance to see Zion play
    C) We still have a chance to make the playoffs, even if small

And l'll take that.
    It could be a lot worse.

Our schedule, from what they are saying, isn't going to be terrible. We supposedly play the "bubble teams" for 6 of 8 games. We just need to be better than the other teams competing for that spot and beat Memphis twice in a row (unless they collapse.)

I think it's very fair.

In any case, we get another training camp to build chemistry, we get to see meaningful basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieHornet View Post
    we just have to be within 4 games of 8th then there is a "play-in" tournament whatever that means. A series of games between 8th and 9th?
    I feel like 9th seed was 100% created for Box Office Zion.

Sadly, Box Office Zion will be accompany by Anti-clutch Jrue and Pre-season Gentry..

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    It could be a lot worse.

Our schedule, from what they are saying, isn't going to be terrible. We supposedly play the "bubble teams" for 6 of 8 games. We just need to be better than the other teams competing for that spot and beat Memphis twice in a row (unless they collapse.)

I think it's very fair.

In any case, we get another training camp to build chemistry, we get to see meaningful basketball.
    Oh of course it could be a lot worse. We could simply be jumping straight to the playoffs and be told that if we wanted to be involved we shouldn't have sucked so much for most of the year, and frankly it would have been hard to argue with that: we shouldn't have sucked so much for most of the year and if we ended up missing the playoffs using the normal schedule it would have been our own fault.

The problem for me is just that it sucks that we won't be getting the full easy schedule to pad things out. l'm fairly firm in my belief that, using the full schedules that we had left before the season was suspended, we would have ended up surpassing the Grizzlies and securing the playoff spot. With only 8 games left, though, while it's absolutely true that the Grizz face tough competition and our 8 games are easier in comparison, there isn't enough time to really build up a cushion. With the full schedule, it wouldn't have mattered if the Grizz win an unexpected game or two; now, if they can manage to steal something that was 'supposed' to be a loss for them, that could almost be it for us. They only need a 4 game cushion, and they're starting 3.5 games up on us.

Sadly, Box Office Zion will be accompany by Anti-clutch Jrue and Pre-season Gentry..
    These are the takes that make me love this group.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    These are the takes that make me love this group.
    This is the kind of normalcy I'm absolutely craving.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    With only 8 games left, though, while it's absolutely true that the Grizz face tough competition and our 8 games are easier in comparison, there isn't enough time to really build up a cushion. With the full schedule, it wouldn't have mattered if the Grizz win an unexpected game or two; now, if they can manage to steal something that was 'supposed' to be a loss for them, that could almost be it for us. They only need a 4 game cushion, and they're starting 3.5 games up on us.
    I'm not so worried about this. If we can't make up any ground on that team or even play them to a draw over these 8 games, they are better and deserve to be in, period.

I do think there is some inherent unfairness (and it feels ridiculous at this time to call any of these ultimately meaningless things unfair) regarding us and Portland. On account of having played two additional games and going 1-1, they have a de facto tiebreaker over us despite having swept them 4-0 in the season series. This sits wrong with me. If we don't beat them by at least a game over these 8, they would beat us out for the 9 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    I'm not so worried about this. If we can't make up any ground on that team or even play them to a draw over these 8 games, they are better and deserve to be in, period.

I do think there is some inherent unfairness (and it feels ridiculous at this time to call any of these ultimately meaningless things unfair) regarding us and Portland. On account of having played two additional games and going 1-1, they have a de facto tiebreaker over us despite having swept them 4-0 in the season series. This sits wrong with me. If we don't beat them by at least a game over these 8, they would beat us out for the 9 seed.
    Yeah, it is annoying that despite being a combined 7-0 against Portland, Memphis, and Sacramento, we get no advantage at all from it. Losing the tiebreaker over Portland sucks, and we were 2-0 against Memphis: one more win would have sealed that tiebreaker too. Yet now, as you say, that means nothing.

Thread Information