Pelicans Report

Thread: Preferred Format When Season Resumes?

Preferred Format When Season Resumes?

Season restart seems to be picking up a lot of steam recently and I'm wondering what everyone's preference is for the schedule when we finally get basketball back. From everything I've seen, I think the Group Stage idea that Kevin O'Connor has been proposing is far and away the best of all the options. Are there any alternatives y'all prefer?

Link to his article is here: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5...tart-world-cup

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If the Pels are involved, this is the only way to do it. We get our chance to advance along with the Kings and Grizzlies.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If the Pels are involved, this is the only way to do it. We get our chance to advance along with the Kings and Grizzlies.
    I say this is the best way, even if the Pelicans weren't in it.

It is by far the best proposal to accomplish the main goals. Friend in the league told me the biggest knock against it isn't that's its odd or different, it is that you have more spread possibilities. In a world where the Lakers play the Grizz in a 7 game series and Danny Green gets it on Tuesday but doesnt show symptoms and tests positive until Friday, then he has possibly infected two teams at most.

In that same world but the Lakers are in a pool with 5 teams, they could play the Grizz Tuesday, who play the Nuggets Thursday while Lakers play another team Wednesday, who plays another Friday and boom, Green spread it to 5 teams instead of 2

Now, more tests and/or faster tests could solve this hiccup. But that is the main knock against it from those who are against it
    @mcnamara247

I know two things: 1. The NBA will figure out a way to include the Pelicans in playing more game. We are a ratings machine with Zion; and 2. In the Group format, NOBODY wants to draw the Pels. They would instantly call our pod the Group of Death and frankly Silver has been itching for this format. It would crazier than the World Cup. The world would be watching in mass.

But what do I know?
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

I think there could be a little advantage to the play-in teams, if that group plays prior to a regular playoff format. They will have played real competitive games, so I believe upsets would be more likely. If they use the pool format with more West teams than East, there is a better chance of getting into a pool with better matchups. I don't know the best way to go, I'm just ready for games.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    I know two things: 1. The NBA will figure out a way to include the Pelicans in playing more game. We are a ratings machine with Zion; and 2. In the Group format, NOBODY wants to draw the Pels. They would instantly call our pod the Group of Death and frankly Silver has been itching for this format. It would crazier than the World Cup. The world would be watching in mass.

But what do I know?

You are right on point #1 -- I got a text this morning saying 'The Pels are in'

Whatever the format is gonna be, the Pels will be in it

As for Pels being the dangerous team, I think Portland is that team of the ones getting thrown in to make 20 (or 24). With Nurkic back, they have the better and more experienced roster. They are definitely better than Orlando, Brooklyn, and Memphis. On a similar plane as Dallas, OKC, Indy, and even Utah w/o Bogdanovic IMO

So we are in the playoffs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    I think there could be a little advantage to the play-in teams, if that group plays prior to a regular playoff format. They will have played real competitive games, so I believe upsets would be more likely. If they use the pool format with more West teams than East, there is a better chance of getting into a pool with better matchups. I don't know the best way to go, I'm just ready for games.
    Truth.

This break really helped LAL, too. I couldn't see AD and Bron holding up how they were playing going through the entire season and postseason. Their bodies got a huge break and they are veteran enough to know how to maintain a game ready body and form through this isolation. Our guys are young and inexperienced. We might see a lot of rust when we come back.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Truth.

This break really helped LAL, too. I couldn't see AD and Bron holding up how they were playing going through the entire season and postseason. Their bodies got a huge break and they are veteran enough to know how to maintain a game ready body and form through this isolation. Our guys are young and inexperienced. We might see a lot of rust when we come back.
    I have no real expectation for us to advance out of whatever the "first round" ends up being. But as long as no one gets seriously injured I think it will be great for this team to get playoff (or some facsimile of it) experience and use it as a springboard for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I have no real expectation for us to advance out of whatever the "first round" ends up being. But as long as no one gets seriously injured I think it will be great for this team to get playoff (or some facsimile of it) experience and use it as a springboard for next year.
    The injury concern is really my only concern. I would hate for someone to get hurt playing in a few games after such a long layoff.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The injury concern is really my only concern. I would hate for someone to get hurt playing in a few games after such a long layoff.
    Someone WILL get hurt. Heck, multiple people will get hurt. That is going to happen. It would happen without COVID over the course of 100+ games.

And fans of teams of the random player(s) that get hurt will blame it on the time off. But injuries would happen in any universe. Its what happens when people play basketball. But I agree, the longer they give for training camps, maybe even some exhibition games, the better

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    They need tune up games. The quality of basketball will be weaker by default in this circumstance. At least let the players knock off some of the rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    They need tune up games. The quality of basketball will be weaker by default in this circumstance. At least let the players knock off some of the rust.
    I agree with tune up games. Ideally, you do World Cup Format, set the Groups, do 3-4 weeks of training camp, then 2-3 exhibition games with teams outside your group, then Group Play

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I agree with tune up games. Ideally, you do World Cup Format, set the Groups, do 3-4 weeks of training camp, then 2-3 exhibition games with teams outside your group, then Group Play
    Then if there is no infection spread during this time its a good run thru of what is required for the actual games.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    PELS gonna shock the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One narrative I want to make sure to denounce before it gets even more out of hand....

The league isnt doing this 22 team thing to get Zion back in. I know some have said and tweeted that and its a fun little story that will cause debates but its simply not true

In the 22 team format, I did the calculations and
    - the NBA will make 835 million more in revenue vs just going straight to playoffs
    - Players will put a little over 300 million in their pocket this season that they otherwise wouldnt if we went straight to playoffs
    - Players will get an extra 700 million over this season and next (300 mil in salary this year, an extra 400 mil in revenue split next year) with the 22 team plan vs the 16 team plan

So, this plan would have been done even if Pels were the 3 seed. Even if Zion was out for the year. Those are the facts. Not as fun or sexy or debate worthy, but the truth

Hall of Famer
    The NBA is moving toward a plan invited 22 teams to start the 19-20 regular season, sources tell ESPN.

The NBA has also considered plans in which the current 16 playoff teams resume play as well as a 20-team Group Stage first round, and also having all 30 teams participate.

A three-fourths majority of the 30 teams is required for a plan's passage.

The NBA is working to complete the details of a 22-team format for Orlando this week.

The 16 current playoff teams would be included along with the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns and Washington Wizards.

ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI, ZACH LOWE/ESPN

l don't consider myself as any kind of serious commentator on this topic because l've largely ignored the various discussions surrounding various formats and whatnot. As far as l see things, the game will either return this year or it won't and l'll just pick up when/if it does.

That said, l do think it makes complete sense to limit the number of teams who play, and 22 makes sense. Every additional game played adds a ton of potential risk to the scene, and there's no point in taking that risk at all for teams that are already just completely out of playoff contention. Why should Knicks players risk anything when their best case scenario is still missing the post-season? At least one can make the argument for us or for Phoenix that there's a chance we can sneak into the playoffs.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    l don't consider myself as any kind of serious commentator on this topic because l've largely ignored the various discussions surrounding various formats and whatnot. As far as l see things, the game will either return this year or it won't and l'll just pick up when/if it does.

That said, l do think it makes complete sense to limit the number of teams who play, and 22 makes sense. Every additional game played adds a ton of potential risk to the scene, and there's no point in taking that risk at all for teams that are already just completely out of playoff contention. Why should Knicks players risk anything when their best case scenario is still missing the post-season? At least one can make the argument for us or for Phoenix that there's a chance we can sneak into the playoffs.
    The one thing you have to know about this whole thing is that most people on message boards, twitter, even talking heads and writers will talk about "fairness" or competition, or the format that is most fun, whatever. Then, the next person gives their idea about what accomplishes those things. But those things all fall well behind two objectives of the league:

1. Grab as much revenue as possible (including local TV money) so next years cap isnt completely messed up

2. Put money into players pockets right now (via regular season games, you dont get paid nearly the same for postseason), so that you can have good faith negotiations over offseason. Money will have to come out of their pockets if we still arent have fans in arenas and you dont want those negotiations to get contentious like MLB's are.

So, always keep that in mind when people are complaining that this isnt the most fair way or most fun way, whatever. Those arent the top priorities. Never were.

So, always keep that in mind when people are complaining that this isnt the most fair way or most fun way, whatever. Those arent the top priorities. Never were.
    ln all honestly, l'm probably just going to continue sitting out the discussion for the most part. lt's really not something that interests me on any major level, so l'll just leave the debates to the people who both know and care about the subject. l was just offering up my 2 pence, for all they're worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    ln all honestly, l'm probably just going to continue sitting out the discussion for the most part. lt's really not something that interests me on any major level, so l'll just leave the debates to the people who both know and care about the subject. l was just offering up my 2 pence, for all they're worth.
    It should interest you a lot, because it impacts future seasons --significantly.

The NBA is a business, and if that business can not let people in its doors next year, the league will look very different, and there is a possibility that if negotiations go wrong, there could be no season.

Coming back to play impacts the league you love in such significant ways. And how they chose to do it will have massive impact next year, and possibly seasons beyond

It should interest you a lot, because it impacts future seasons --significantly.

The NBA is a business, and if that business can not let people in its doors next year, the league will look very different, and there is a possibility that if negotiations go wrong, there could be no season.

Coming back to play impacts the league you love in such significant ways. And how they chose to do it will have massive impact next year, and possibly seasons beyond
    Sure, but sadly, you can't force interest in something where it doesn't exist. ln a perfect world, we would just come back and play out the end of the season as if nothing ever happened. Obviously that's not going to be what goes on for a bunch of reasons, and therefore discussions of what we do otherwise are all compromises at least to some extent, and that sucks.

Group stage style play doesn't interest me, although l admit that l'm far from impartial on that, possibly because of the association with European style football which is a game that l find almost as boring as American football. A play in tournament holds some interest. A truncated schedule has its own issues, as well, but some strengths. Which of these is best? l'm not sure, and someone who is actually interested in putting in the time to really break things down will have more intelligent stuff to say on the matter than l do.

Thread Information