Pelicans Report

Thread: Roster Moves to 2021 Deadline- End Game

Roster Moves to 2021 Deadline- End Game

So i have been messing around with roster moves to try and get to the best possible roster as of of the trade deadline in 2021. Here are the moves proposed based on fantasy, cap space, and my most likely shoddy logic:

Sign Ball,Ingram, and Hart. Let all other FA’s go.

- Draft Obi Toppin with our pick in 2020 draft ( if possible)

- Make a trade with the Pacers for Jrue Holiday, Favors (sign and trade), 2021 first, and two 2020 2nd rounders for Oladipo and Turner.

- Trade deadline 2021 trade Oladipo, Melli, and 2022 first for Beal and Schofield

February 2021 roster:

PG: Ball/NAW/Veteran Min
    SG: Beal/Redick/ FA/ 2nd rounder/Silva
    SF: ingram/ Hart/Schofield
    PF: Zion/ Toppin/ Veteran min
    C: Turner/ Hayes/ Veteran min

Redick is the wildcard in trade talks. Would rather keep him for his ability to keep us in close games, which many on the roster. However, he is an expiring and would be very valuable for a fringe playoff team as long as we get a sixth/seventh man type that can shoot we should be ok. We still have Silva developing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sleeper; 04-18-2020 at 01:17 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So ultimately, the question is, is this the roster we think can compete for a championship. Because with moves like that we’re out on any chance to play with signing someone in 2021.

I’m just curious how that team performs on defense.

They aren't signing anybody in 2021. And honestly, the OP isn't close to realistic any way.

Looking at history, great players have never flocked to signing with some star entering year 3, I don't care how great and marketable he is. And then add a small market team to that who has never signed a star. Not going to happen.

Now....trading for a second tier star who accepts the trade. That might be possible. That has happened before, the FA thing hasn't and it won't here in 2021.

The improvement will come from internal development and then when the time is right, you package several pieces together for the right guy who fits to take you over the top.
    @mcnamara247

Looks sub-optimal, not gonna lie to you.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not a fan in general of speculating tons of moves simultaneously just because each additional change adds on to the last until, after every change has been made, the odds of that path ever happening are infinitesimally small.

That said, I'm not a fan of having Ball/Beal/Ingram as our starting 1-3. Beal is horrific on defense, Ingram is not-great, and while Ball has shown that he can play defense at a high level, he also often just doesn't. I would not like to see what happens with a lineup like that on defense. Similarly, having Redick as your Beal backup doesn't help that problem, and while Hart is solid and defense, we don't have enough data at an NBA level for NAW, especially given how sub-optimal his opportunities were this year. It's arguable that among the 6 guys you have starting and backing up 1-3, there is one reliable consistent defender.

There's also the obvious issue with half-court offense. That is to say, we don't have a reliable initiator of it. Of course Beal can do it a bit, Ingram can do it a bit, and we're hoping that Zion settles into being able to do it as well, but there's nobody in the entire starting lineup that can just orchestrate a consistent half-court offense right now.

Also with a team structure like that, I would absolutely be against drafting Toppin. While it's true that he's a fairly strong offensive talent, his defense as well is beyond tragic and it's not like he's young and raw; he'll be 23 his rookie season. If I were being asked to pick a big from this draft to try and compensate some of the defensive issues it would be much more likely someone like Xavier Tillman, Jalen Smith, Killian Tillie, etc; someone with some recognition and some go-to skills, whether that be rim protection or team defense. l
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 04-18-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    Basketball.

Honestly don't think there's a worse fit for our team in the top 20 of this years draft than Toppin. His strengths are all Zion's strengths, except Zion does them about 5x better, and his weaknesses would only further expose Zion's.

I like Toppin as a prospect overall, and I think he could help a bunch of teams out. Just not us.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I just don't much care for Toppin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Looks sub-optimal, not gonna lie to you.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not a fan in general of speculating tons of moves simultaneously just because each additional change adds on to the last until, after every change has been made, the odds of that path ever happening are infinitesimally small.

That said, I'm not a fan of having Ball/Beal/Ingram as our starting 1-3. Beal is horrific on defense, Ingram is not-great, and while Ball has shown that he can play defense at a high level, he also often just doesn't. I would not like to see what happens with a lineup like that on defense. Similarly, having Redick as your Beal backup doesn't help that problem, and while Hart is solid and defense, we don't have enough data at an NBA level for NAW, especially given how sub-optimal his opportunities were this year. It's arguable that among the 6 guys you have starting and backing up 1-3, there is one reliable consistent defender.

There's also the obvious issue with half-court offense. That is to say, we don't have a reliable initiator of it. Of course Beal can do it a bit, Ingram can do it a bit, and we're hoping that Zion settles into being able to do it as well, but there's nobody in the entire starting lineup that can just orchestrate a consistent half-court offense right now.

Also with a team structure like that, I would absolutely be against drafting Toppin. While it's true that he's a fairly strong offensive talent, his defense as well is beyond tragic and it's not like he's young and raw; he'll be 23 his rookie season. If I were being asked to pick a big from this draft to try and compensate some of the defensive issues it would be much more likely someone like Xavier Tillman, Jalen Smith, Killian Tillie, etc; someone with some recognition and some go-to skills, whether that be rim protection or team defense. l
    Honestly... all signs point towards cultivating our current group and shore up our bigs and wings defenders. BUT... If Gentry is here. We probably stay being a small team. It's all but locked that he'll be extended another year.

Which is bleh. I feel we can be a playoff lock if we try to be more hybrid in team philosophy instead of this all or nothing with Gentry Small Ball.

Moore gone
    Okafor gone
    Favors gone

Aim for a solid role player in the draft with adequate offensive skills but high defensive ceiling at Big. (Which is like 1 player)
    Shore up the size in Free Agency( Which looks like trash)

Or just run back the same thing we did this year again next with less talent.. Which has never blown up in our face. Oh wait...

Seems like 2020 gonna be a 6th-8th seed run kind of season. Which is a great goal. Just got avoid those Gentry pre-season blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Honestly... all signs point towards cultivating our current group and shore up our bigs and wings defenders
    I agree. Most of the ''acquisition'' this team has/will have is going to come from internal development, and more marginal moves.

Thread Information