Pelicans Report

Thread: A possible hint Devin Booker will want out of PHX

NBA A possible hint Devin Booker will want out of PHX

Hmmmm , we have lots to offer if he asks for trade

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...-2k-tournament

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    How many teams can offer more than us, legit? And is that even a move we should pursue?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    How many teams can offer more than us, legit? And is that even a move we should pursue?
    Not many could offer more, but history says if someone in the EC offers something comparable, they would send him there. History also says that they wont trade him for at least another season and a half to two years from now. The player could be unhappy but he doesnt have leverage with this many years left on his contract.

As for fit, a humbled Booker would actually fit great skill set wise with our core. And by humbled, I mean a guy who knows he is the #2 or #3 on this team and is happy with that as long as he is winning. Which, again, very good players dont usually accept until their late 20s/early 30s. But Porzingas came to Dallas and accepted it. There have been examples. Its just rare, especially for a 26ppg scoring 23 year old who is entering his prime, to come to a team and bow down to a 19 yer old. But he, maybe two years from now Booker will be humbled and Zion will be an MVP candidate, and it could work then.
    @mcnamara247

A more apt...cheaper option? Seven Foot stretch 'Bigs' don't grow on trees.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-aren-...030014911.html
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-06-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    A more apt...cheaper option? Seven Foot stretch 'Bigs' don't grow on trees.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-aren-...030014911.html
    Markenen is tough because of the timeline of when you have to pay him. He is coming up for his next contract, and you typically have to overpay guys who have flashed potential and are a high pick as they go into their next contract.

But pure fit, if he reaches his potential, he would be an almost ideal fit as a 3rd in the trio of bigs with Zion and Hayes. He would be able to play with both guys, could space on offense and offer some rim protection on D. The only thing you wouldn't have is the big, burly center to defend the Embiid types, but those guys are more and more rare and its easier to double the post and rotate than it is to help to contain penetrating guards and wings who blew by your immobile 7 footer

I like Lauri as a fit, and would give up a decent amount for him, if and only if I liked the numbers on his next contract. Re-sign him for a little less than Turner and Sabonis got, and I'd make the deal

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Markenen is tough because of the timeline of when you have to pay him. He is coming up for his next contract, and you typically have to overpay guys who have flashed potential and are a high pick as they go into their next contract.

But pure fit, if he reaches his potential, he would be an almost ideal fit as a 3rd in the trio of bigs with Zion and Hayes. He would be able to play with both guys, could space on offense and offer some rim protection on D. The only thing you wouldn't have is the big, burly center to defend the Embiid types, but those guys are more and more rare and its easier to double the post and rotate than it is to help to contain penetrating guards and wings who blew by your immobile 7 footer

I like Lauri as a fit, and would give up a decent amount for him, if and only if I liked the numbers on his next contract. Re-sign him for a little less than Turner and Sabonis got, and I'd make the deal
    I like this

He is the perfect fit. I didn't watch many Bulls games but I thought I read or heard that he regressed. Did you see his games, if so, what are his issues, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    He is the perfect fit. I didn't watch many Bulls games but I thought I read or heard that he regressed. Did you see his games, if so, what are his issues, if any?
    I watched a lot of Bulls games -- mostly because Zach Lavine is my least favorite player in the NBA and I like to hate watch.

He just barely ever touched the ball, and when he did, he rushed and forced things because he didnt know when he will touch it again. But all the skill is still there and he is a solid weak side rim defender. Solid perimeter D when he switches. His issue is with bigger guys in the post and even strong small ball 4's. He is by no means the perfect player, but he is more skilled than Melli while being longer and more athletic as well. He has a low post, mid post and beyond the arc game. Can handle, can pass - very skilled. For the right price - both in terms of assets and next contract - I'd like him as our 3rd big. But Griffin isnt dying to just keep adding young guys to this core. He already has two 19 year old bigs making dumb mistakes on the defensive end. Guys who dont know how to win big games yet. I doubt he wants another. My bet would be that if it isnt Favors coming back, he will want the other main big to be a late 20s/early 30s guy. Not another kid who still has so much to learn

Hm. Leaving aside dudes who command huge numbers like Ibaka or Harrell. So...

John Henson
    The Morris twins
    Bismack Biyombo
    Meyers Leonard
    Mason Plumlee
    Kyle O'Quinn
    Nerlens Noel
    Tristain Thompson

Yeah. We can find someone workable.

Hm. Leaving aside dudes who command huge numbers like Ibaka or Harrell. So...

John Henson
    The Morris twins
    Bismack Biyombo
    Meyers Leonard
    Mason Plumlee
    Kyle O'Quinn
    Nerlens Noel
    Tristain Thompson

Yeah. We can find someone workable.
    ADD: Marc Gasol, Kelly Olynyk, Aron Baynes to your list if you are going to ride JAX.

I was sticking to early 30s as my cut off. Like 33 or 34. So no Gasol. Olynyk and Baynes fit. Just curious what number they'll command.

I was sticking to early 30s as my cut off. Like 33 or 34. So no Gasol. Olynyk and Baynes fit. Just curious what number they'll command.
    My feeling is that if its: This old guy vs that old guy, the Pens will stick with the vet they know (Favors)

I think most teams will do that, as will players. A TON of one year deals and little player movement coming up before the next season starts. I would be shocked if a top 50 player switched teams and I just don't see guys switching teams or teams switching guys unless its for a major improvement (teams case) or major pay raise or major title chance upgrade(players case).....and with the cap likely to decrease, or flatten at the very best.... I think we just see a bunch of guys staying in place. A lot of guys taking ring chasing deals for 1 year and then hoping the market in 2021 is good and they can cash in then.

Not many could offer more, but history says if someone in the EC offers something comparable, they would send him there. History also says that they wont trade him for at least another season and a half to two years from now. The player could be unhappy but he doesnt have leverage with this many years left on his contract.

As for fit, a humbled Booker would actually fit great skill set wise with our core. And by humbled, I mean a guy who knows he is the #2 or #3 on this team and is happy with that as long as he is winning. Which, again, very good players dont usually accept until their late 20s/early 30s. But Porzingas came to Dallas and accepted it. There have been examples. Its just rare, especially for a 26ppg scoring 23 year old who is entering his prime, to come to a team and bow down to a 19 yer old. But he, maybe two years from now Booker will be humbled and Zion will be an MVP candidate, and it could work then.
    Speaking of Zion MM, what was your take and thoughts on him this year? Been curious to ask you. Preseason Zion was different, but do you know if Zion is prioritizing his weight to advance getting some of his athleticism back? I often hear and read that members around staff has a good plan for his weight and are confident in what they do, but I often wonder what Zion thinks. I assume he trusts the staff and follows procedures, but often his athleticism and getting his legs under him has been a thing after the knee injury. Personally have no idea how long that takes, but it has to be assumed that more conditioned, and less baby fat Zion will help with regaining with some of that Duke explosion right?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Speaking of Zion MM, what was your take and thoughts on him this year? Been curious to ask you. Preseason Zion was different, but do you know if Zion is prioritizing his weight to advance getting some of his athleticism back? I often hear and read that members around staff has a good plan for his weight and are confident in what they do, but I often wonder what Zion thinks. I assume he trusts the staff and follows procedures, but often his athleticism and getting his legs under him has been a thing after the knee injury. Personally have no idea how long that takes, but it has to be assumed that more conditioned, and less baby fat Zion will help with regaining with some of that Duke explosion right?
    Honestly, I was kinda disappointed.

I am not an offense guy. I dont get wowed by highlights and dunks and scoring. I think that scoring is the easiest thing to replace in basketball. What I loved about Zion is his non stop movement on both ends. Go watch a Duke game, any Duke game, and then go pick any Pels game from this year. In the Duke game, you will see a kid in a defensive stance, always moving, talking a lot, going to crash the boards, etc. In a Pels game, you will see him standing upright, looking lost, flat footed and barely moving, barely talking and then always leaking out instead of crashing the boards.

I am hoping this was the gameplan by the coaching staff to prevent injuries, to prevent him from being in the paint with a bunch of bodies, etc. But what I thought made Zion special was his intangibles. I saw some of them on offense. His passing is there, and you can see his IQ on the court. He makes a mistake and rarely makes the same one again. I would give him a B+ grade on the offensive end overall, maybe an A-. But I am not being hyperbolic when I say I think he deserves a D or D- grade on defense. Getting lost/making rookie mistakes is one thing, but the effort was horrendous. I am hoping it was part of managing his body and we see Duke Zion next year.

I am not an offense guy. I dont get wowed by highlights and dunks and scoring. I think that scoring is the easiest thing to replace in basketball. What I loved about Zion is his non stop movement on both ends. Go watch a Duke game, any Duke game, and then go pick any Pels game from this year. In the Duke game, you will see a kid in a defensive stance, always moving, talking a lot, going to crash the boards, etc. In a Pels game, you will see him standing upright, looking lost, flat footed and barely moving, barely talking and then always leaking out instead of crashing the boards.

I am hoping this was the gameplan by the coaching staff to prevent injuries, to prevent him from being in the paint with a bunch of bodies, etc. But what I thought made Zion special was his intangibles. I saw some of them on offense. His passing is there, and you can see his IQ on the court. He makes a mistake and rarely makes the same one again. I would give him a B+ grade on the offensive end overall, maybe an A-. But I am not being hyperbolic when I say I think he deserves a D or D- grade on defense. Getting lost/making rookie mistakes is one thing, but the effort was horrendous. I am hoping it was part of managing his body and we see Duke Zion next year.
    The defensive effort looked awkward, it had to be intentional.

Agreed, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think Zion suffered from trying not to take the lead in the pecking order and his "I'm only 19" became a crutch for him to coast sometimes combined with playing super cautious. Can't blame him though when you have trained experts monitoring his body movements every second and telling him constantly how to land, run, etc with his kinetics probably for anyone that for the first time in the league with the world watching would be alot to process and consider. As far as the defensive effort, this was something even in preseason, maybe NBA is too fast for him? Idk man it's weird. I think when Zion is given the keys maybe that will give him the Confidence to take over on both sides of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Agreed, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think Zion suffered from trying not to take the lead in the pecking order and his "I'm only 19" became a crutch for him to coast sometimes combined with playing super cautious. Can't blame him though when you have trained experts monitoring his body movements every second and telling him constantly how to land, run, etc with his kinetics probably for anyone that for the first time in the league with the world watching would be alot to process and consider. As far as the defensive effort, this was something even in preseason, maybe NBA is too fast for him? Idk man it's weird. I think when Zion is given the keys maybe that will give him the Confidence to take over on both sides of the court.
    Agreed - I don't want to bash the kid. He was fantastic in many areas and I cant wait to see what he does over the next decade. But rookie CP3 was an all out fighter on both ends and took a team that should have won 20-22 games to playoff contention. He will always be my bar for any current/future Pelican who wants to be an all time great. It irritated me a little but when Zion consistently said he just wanted to win. Didn't care about stats or the attention, etc....just wanted to win. In my head, I would say - If thats true, then give some effort on D and on the boards. Sprint up the court once in a while, as opposed to casually jogging back. Take a charge, etc etc

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was playing like that on trainers orders this past year. But I will be keeping an eye out for it in the future, because if he is gonna be an all time great, an MVP, a future champion, he has to go all out the way Giannis does. And quite frankly, the way Zion did in college

I wasn't tripping. I thought I just didn't remember, but he really did never once dead out sprint. Even on fastbreaks.

I hope all this time away from the game and trainers doesn't make things worse for him. Get that dude in a pool and low impact cardio like it's going out of style.

Thread Information