Zion to cover pelicans staff for the next 30 days

https://mobile.twitter.com/BleacherR...%3Ft%3D1950486

Um what's ms.benson planning on doing

Hall of Famer
    This could help him in the ROY Race

God we just got the best kid

Meanwhile Gayle Benson is trending on Twitter nationally

Hundreds of tweets like this right now!

I’m just grateful we have such a great man and Zion. If Gayle wants to be a snob we’ll at least we have a good man in Zion.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-13-2020 at 06:36 PM.

And on and on

Hall of Famer
    Yup. I see she is trending

And I agree

Zion is an incredible kid. And Gayle is an incredible owner. I am sure she does plenty...I know she does plenty of charitable things. Like millions$$$ of things. She just doesn't announce it on FB And Twitter.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Yeah, Zion is awesome and this is great of him.

Shouldn't be his responsibility. Like others have said, billionaire ownership should be doing it.
    Basketball.

Just a matter of Zion volunteering to do it before the owner did.

Bad optics on timing and no slight on Mrs B is all Im taking from it.

I mean, aren't other players doing similar things around the league? I know one player is doing this in the NHL. Do we know for sure the stadium workers weren't going to get paid? Is it possible this only looks bad because Zion announced this before the organization had a chance to announce anything publicly? All of this is really uncharted territory and news is changing by the hour.
    Last edited by Chris; 03-13-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I mean, aren't other players doing similar things around the league? I know one player is doing this in the NHL. Do we know for sure the stadium workers weren't going to get paid? Is it possible this only looks bad because Zion announced this before the organization had a chance to announce anything publicly? All of this is really uncharted territory and news is changing by the hour.
    Other players have also pledged to do similar, yes. Blake Griffin, Giannis, Kevin Love.

Some other owners, like Mark Cuban, have also already confirmed they will do it.

The response the Pelicans put out to Zions announcement is that they had been discussing something with the Smoothie King Centre ownership to work something out, before Zion came out and said he would do it. They said it was somewhat complicated due to only being renters of the building, which is why there had been no announcement yet.

I don't really buy it; they can't announce that they will be doing something cause they're only renters so it's difficult, but Zion can commit? Even if it's true that they were working on something, it's dreadful PR. Should have put out an early statement to the effect of "details will be confirmed at a later date, but Mrs Benson and the New Orleans Pelicans will be doing all they can to ensure arena staff are properly compensated for the time that will be missed during the NBA suspension".

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have a friend that is an usher. ASM nor the Pelicans have not communicated with them other than to tell them the games are canceled. Credit Zion for stepping up to the plate. The Pelicans & ASM piggybacked on it knowing they would get the backlash. I guess that is how Coperate Trump America is these days. Let us not let this take away the awesome thing Zion did.

Bravo Zion! You have won New Orleans Zion.

She will have to do something if she cares about her image.
    SIGN A SF

It’s just a reason to turn a wonderful story into a cheap shot at a billionaire. Gayle has been a good owner and I’d bet she would have stepped in. Poor stuff from talking heads and Twitter dunces

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It’s just a reason to turn a wonderful story into a cheap shot at a billionaire. Gayle has been a good owner and I’d bet she would have stepped in. Poor stuff from talking heads and Twitter dunces
    She was late on it. It also does not look good that she gave thousands to defend some priests that did some pretty sick things. I’m hoping all NBA Owners step up and help out the ones that are making them millions!

Props to Zion's mom as well, this lady raised such a wonderful human being! You can tell that mom instilled great values to her kids.

And does anyone have an indication of what Gayle's plans are? We have no idea if she already had something similar in the works, or how expansive it might be. Remember, she's not a Mark Cuban, who will praise himself to the masses just to get airtime.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    She was late on it. It also does not look good that she gave thousands to defend some priests that did some pretty sick things. I’m hoping all NBA Owners step up and help out the ones that are making them millions!
    How was she late on it? Its been 48 hours since the league shut down. All Zion had to do was play basketball. Gayle owns numerous other businesses, with many times more employees than the Pels and SKC employ. She's got much more on her plate right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    How was she late on it? Its been 48 hours since the league shut down. All Zion had to do was play basketball. Gayle owns numerous other businesses, with many times more employees than the Pels and SKC employ. She's got much more on her plate right now.
    It was late because she took so long that a player already stepped in and did it. Mark Cuban, who I don't like for other reasons, stated he'd be covering Mavs staff within 6 hours of the shut-down; is Mark Cuban not busy with other things? Does he not own other stuff, and have other employees?

Basketball Guru
    instead of people just being happy that the low paying workers will be compensate during this outbreak,, jealous people who live pay check to pay check saw a quick opportunity to take a shot at a billionaire smh........it should not matter who is paying for it,,just be happy for those workers....

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It was late because she took so long that a player already stepped in and did it. Mark Cuban, who I don't like for other reasons, stated he'd be covering Mavs staff within 6 hours of the shut-down; is Mark Cuban not busy with other things? Does he not own other stuff, and have other employees?
    That’s less of the point for me personally. All of the praise and attention should be focused on Zion. Instead, people are finding a way to turn this into a negative story and take the focus off of Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Mark Cuban loves the spotlight. Of course he went public immediately. Gayle's not that type of person. Doesn't mean she wasn't already working on a plan. You're focusing on the NBA ONLY as the be-all and end-all of the world. There's much more in play here. Gayle's been a damn good owner. Maybe go call out the other 20+ teams that still haven't made a statement yet.

Also, SKC employees are not Pels staff. Cuban's paying for Mavs staff. Is he also paying for the American Airlines Arena employees?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Mark Cuban loves the spotlight. Of course he went public immediately. Gayle's not that type of person. Doesn't mean she wasn't already working on a plan. You're focusing on the NBA ONLY as the be-all and end-all of the world. There's much more in play here. Gayle's been a damn good owner. Maybe go call out the other 20+ teams that still haven't made a statement yet.

Also, SKC employees are not Pels staff. Cuban's paying for Mavs staff. Is he also paying for the American Airlines Arena employees?
    This. For all we know Gayle was working out the finer details behind closed doors and Zion spoke publicly before they could work everything out.

If nobody had come out with this publicly, I doubt anyone would even mention Gayle or any of the owners. It’s just people desperate for a negative angle.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    This. For all we know Gayle was working out the finer details behind closed doors and Zion spoke publicly before they could work everything out.

If nobody had come out with this publicly, I doubt anyone would even mention Gayle or any of the owners. It’s just people desperate for a negative angle.
    Which is exactly what happened. Everyone throwing shade at Gayle for all of this is sooooo annoying.

Thread Information