Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zion to cover pelicans staff for the next 30 days

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Mark Cuban loves the spotlight. Of course he went public immediately. Gayle's not that type of person. Doesn't mean she wasn't already working on a plan. You're focusing on the NBA ONLY as the be-all and end-all of the world. There's much more in play here. Gayle's been a damn good owner. Maybe go call out the other 20+ teams that still haven't made a statement yet.

Also, SKC employees are not Pels staff. Cuban's paying for Mavs staff. Is he also paying for the American Airlines Arena employees?

i was going to say something earlier about cuban lol.....

cuban is a show off and saw opportunity to get good pr for the mavs as being first to say it out loud and get the pub because espn and others were giving him credit.....cuban could have done this privately but everyone has their own way of doing things......

the warriors were the first to announce that they were playing without fans because of the virus so is it possible that the warriors were the first to also say they were going to pay the arena employees for a month for being off but said it privately?....

like i said,,its jealous people who dont like people with big money who are taking shots at the owners instead of just being happy that those employees are being paid until the NBA figure out what they are going to do...

This Sunday is last paycheck for players? Do the Owners fire off the doomsday plan?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

This Sunday is last paycheck for players? Do the Owners fire off the doomsday plan?
    Now we know why Dame was telling low paying players to save their money. Even more of a reason to credit Gia, Kevin Love, Zion for coming in and helping those in need.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Mark Cuban loves the spotlight. Of course he went public immediately. Gayle's not that type of person. Doesn't mean she wasn't already working on a plan. You're focusing on the NBA ONLY as the be-all and end-all of the world. There's much more in play here. Gayle's been a damn good owner. Maybe go call out the other 20+ teams that still haven't made a statement yet.

Also, SKC employees are not Pels staff. Cuban's paying for Mavs staff. Is he also paying for the American Airlines Arena employees?
    YES. He is paying arena employees

https://www.foxnews.com/media/mark-c...rena-employees

I know I’m just ranting now. Nothing on TV for at least 30 days. I’ll Lighten things up. I’m just grateful we have Zion in New Orleans. Let’s be grateful we have him and traded the Potato Chip. I wonder if him and his friend are paying for people that lost work in LA?

I know I’m just ranting now. Nothing on TV for at least 30 days. I’ll Lighten things up. I’m just grateful we have Zion in New Orleans. Let’s be grateful we have him and traded the Potato Chip. I wonder if him and his friend are paying for people that lost work in LA?
    In fairness, I absolutely would not be surprised if Lebron was willing to pay for stuff like that. Say whatever you want about Lebron, but he's never really been the type of guy to shy away from putting cash into the community.
    Basketball.

Essentially, isn’t it Gails money anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    In fairness, I absolutely would not be surprised if Lebron was willing to pay for stuff like that. Say whatever you want about Lebron, but he's never really been the type of guy to shy away from putting cash into the community.
    Very true I must admit. As much as we hate Lebron he has done a lot with the schools in Ohio and California. He gets a free pass from me.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Essentially, isn’t it Gails money anyway?
    Or is it Adam Silver’s money? Do the NBA owners/ Board of Governor’s do shared revenue?

Only 28 more days folks hang in there.

Rod Walker’s editorial was perfect

https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...c85898be4.html

He will be bigger than Drew Brees.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    instead of people just being happy that the low paying workers will be compensate during this outbreak,, jealous people who live pay check to pay check saw a quick opportunity to take a shot at a billionaire smh........it should not matter who is paying for it,,just be happy for those workers....
    It is sad in this age of social media how many ignorant people jump to a conclusion without knowing the situation or the facts. It's not about celebrating the positive, but trying to find the negative.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It is sad in this age of social media how many ignorant people jump to a conclusion without knowing the situation or the facts. It's not about celebrating the positive, but trying to find the negative.
    Whether there was a plan or that Pelicans & Corporate ASM were piggybacking after the feedback we shall never know. What we do know is that those workers are the ones that make them the millions. What we do know is this is bigger than Drew Brees and he(Zion)is only 19 as Rod Walker said in his editorial. https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...c85898be4.html . We should be blessed we have Zion and that overlaps everything.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-14-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It has nothing to do with social media. People have been (rightfully) criticising the ultra-wealthy for literally thousands of years. Jesus Christ literally did it.

The reality is that the Pels released a statement to 'explain' the situation with regards to why there had been no update or released plan from their end. The statement was terrible and reflected poorly on them, and came off as making excuses that were particularly flimsy. The owner of the Pelicans has a net worth larger than the combined remaining salaries of every member of the roster, multiplied by 10: there is no way that anyone but her should be putting up the money.

This isn't a critique specific to her either; any owner who doesn't put their money where their mouth is in a situation like this should be absolutely lambasted.

And who cares if Cuban's quick announcement was a result of his love of the spotlight? The result was that people knew what their immediate future looked like. That's what's important, and that's why Benson and the Pels should have made an early statement, if they were planning on covering everyone, that clarified that something would be worked out so that people knew what their future was.

Basketball Guru
    generosity is also done privately without us knowing about it....and none of the employees who work games has not missed a game check yet far as i know,so coming down on our owner for not making a statement in the time some of yall wanted sound like a personal issue to me....

zion made this public but could have done this privately and talk with the org and just let the workers know that he was going to pay their salary until this outbreak get taken care of and the public didnt have to know anything......zion making this public is the problem that made the jealous people act out....

zion made this public but could have done this privately and talk with the org and just let the workers know that he was going to pay their salary until this outbreak get taken care of and the public didnt have to know anything......zion making this public is the problem that made the jealous people act out....
    How is making it public a problem? Wtf lol.

If anything, it showed leadership in a young man to hopefully inspire maybe those in much smaller situations to lend a helping hand in a time like this.

Jealousy is something no one can control. Just do right.

generosity is also done privately without us knowing about it....and none of the employees who work games has not missed a game check yet far as i know,so coming down on our owner for not making a statement in the time some of yall wanted sound like a personal issue to me....

Do you listen to yourself? How dare you say this about Zion! By the way the employees lost a weekend’s paycheck already with the Sunbelt Tournament cancellation. Do the math and that is $200- $700 bucks at least. A lot of money lost for part time work. Zion gets it. You don’t .
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-14-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Interesting read

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...us-nba-owners/

Think about that!

This commitment to “taking care of all of our employees, our full-time, our part-time” should be league wide. As Obama said, they have an obligation to do so. This isn’t about feel-good generosity, it’s about right and wrong. When NBA teams get hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer funds to build new stadiums, it is always done with the promise of jobs. These promises are always problematic, since they often, when not unionized, don’t come with a living wage and of course by their nature comprise seasonal, as opposed to year round, work. The coronavirus response has shown just how precarious these workers’ jobs are.
    Now is put up or shut up time. The ownership plutocracy must provide paid leave for these workers, because promises made have to be matched by promises kept. One team, my hometown squad the Washington Wizards. and team governor Ted Leonsis will be doing the right thing and funding salaries of arena workers during this crisis. I spoke to one, who said to me, “Paid leave means I can stay home, care for my kids when they’re home from school. That means groceries. That means everything.” It’s unconscionable that half the teams are still dragging their feet. It shouldn’t take a 19-year-old rookie to shame these cosseted billionaires into doing their duty and to make sure everyone can play a role in getting us through this pandemic in one piece.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-15-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-15-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    How is making it public a problem? Wtf lol.

If anything, it showed leadership in a young man to hopefully inspire maybe those in much smaller situations to lend a helping hand in a time like this.

Jealousy is something no one can control. Just do right.

people who hate billionaires saw opportunity to take shots at the owner because it was made public that zion offered to pay for those workers....some posters are saying zion should not have to do this,,,the owner should do it and bashing the owner because the owner didnt make an announcement in the time they would had wanted the owner to move......im strictly talking about the jealous posters and how the public announcement about zion paying for those workers salary enable those types to act out on the owner instead of just being happy those workers were being compensate....

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Rod Walker’s editorial was perfect

https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...c85898be4.html

He will be bigger than Drew Brees.
    Truthfully, the only way he becomes bigger than Brees is if he re-signs on for a 3rd contract. That'll show his dedication to the city.

CP3 was revered here for everything he did in NOLA, now he's not as cherished. Everyone loved AD, until he embarrassed everyone including himself. Both didn't re-up after their 2nd contract. We'll see if Zion does the same in 6 years. Because the clock is ticking.

people who hate billionaires saw opportunity to take shots at the owner because it was made public that zion offered to pay for those workers....some posters are saying zion should not have to do this,,,the owner should do it and bashing the owner because the owner didnt make an announcement in the time they would had wanted the owner to move......im strictly talking about the jealous posters and how the public announcement about zion paying for those workers salary enable those types to act out on the owner instead of just being happy those workers were being compensate....
    You are still missing the point. Read this article

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...us-nba-owners/

Thread Information