Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Benefits of Season being Cancelled

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Here is the issue(s) with a play in tournament once (if?) the season resumes

1. It was supposed to be for 7th and 8th seeds. Will we really put the Mavs at risk for losing a spot to a team 10 games worse? Answer is obviously no

2. So, people say, 'It should only be for 8th seed"....okay - does that mean East and West? Is there really a need or a big clamoring for a tournament for the 8th seed in the East? Again, answer is no. So, now we are going to have a tournament for 1 spot in the West? Doubtful, but lets keep exploring

3. How many teams are in that tournament? 4 (Grizz, Pels, Blazers, and Kings)....well that isnt fair to the Spurs who are just a half game back of the other 3 and would have been tied with one of those teams if Pels-Kings didnt get cancelled

4. You open up Pandora's box on a tourney just for the 8 seed out West. The argument is the Pels or Blazers could have, heck maybe even were likely to, catch Memphis. Well, by that logic, the Sixers and Pacers will want a play in tournament with Miami for the 4 seed. Miami was struggling and Philly just got Embiid back, Indy just was starting to get the good Oladipo back. I am sure they feel like they could have caught Miami.

And on and on and on. It just doesnt make sense to do a play in. My guess is you see the NBA come back starting at the playoffs. Maybe, there are some local exhibition games for guys to get in shape. To get used to playing opponents with no crowd. To get refs used to calling games with no crowd (yes, that will be a major adjustment too). But I dont forsee any more reg season games or tournament. All options are bad, but this makes the most sense even though it hurts the team we like
    The counter to all of this, is that it could be televised and make money.

But let's go point by point.

1. The league would absolutely could and would put the Mavs at risk. In the proposals for a play in tournament, this is exactly a scenario that could happen - with the 7th seed having distance on the 8th seed.

2. People will be starved for sports when the League comes back, there would absolutely be interest in an Eastern Conference play-in tournament featuring Nets/Magic/Wizards/Hornets

3. The team that finishes a close 11th to the teams above them in either conference was always going to get screwed. It didn't seem to deter the league when it was previously proposed.

4. If a play in tournament ever made sense, nothing about the current situation changes that. If anything, it increases the need to have it.

And see again, it would get positive attention and attract eyeballs. The negative stories would be in the distant minority to the positive.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

1. The league would absolutely could and would put the Mavs at risk. In the proposals for a play in tournament, this is exactly a scenario that could happen - with the 7th seed having distance on the 8th seed.

2. People will be starved for sports when the League comes back, there would absolutely be interest in an Eastern Conference play-in tournament featuring Nets/Magic/Wizards/Hornets

3. The team that finishes a close 11th to the teams above them in either conference was always going to get screwed. It didn't seem to deter the league when it was previously proposed.

4. If a play in tournament ever made sense, nothing about the current situation changes that. If anything, it increases the need to have it.

And see again, it would get positive attention and attract eyeballs. The negative stories would be in the distant minority to the positive.
    If your team were not on the outside looking in, this wouldnt be as interesting to you as you seem to think it will be to others

There would be nothing more anti-climatic than the league returning and having games between the Magic and Hornets or the Bulls and Nets, etc.

The top teams are in the playoffs. The playoffs are what matters. Will it suck to not have Zion? Sure. But the playoffs will have Lebron and Kawhi and Giannis and Harden and all the other stars. They will be fine without a few games from Zion.

Could it happen? Sure. But the far more logical and logistically simple scenario would just be jumping into the playoffs when it resumes. Each team just traveling to one other city. Clean and simple.

I wrote an article preparing people for this before the league even pressed pause. Heck, before they even decided to try empty arenas. It was always going to end this way and it would be better to just accept it now than hope for something else and be disappointed, IMO
    @mcnamara247

Per Adam Silver from his NBA TV & TNT interview. They are working on some sort of restart after 30 days. He is speaking with GM’s on a schedule ideas as we speak.

Also worth noting per Woj. Players last paycheck is this Sunday. They do not get paid for cancellation games. Much like Arena workers.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

Given that the whole season's turned upside down, a play-in tournament would also be a great time to further experiment with the Elam ending.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Per Adam Silver from his NBA TV & TNT interview. They are working on some sort of restart after 30 days. He is speaking with GM’s on a schedule ideas as we speak.

Also worth noting per Woj. Players last paycheck is this Sunday. They do not get paid for cancellation games. Much like Arena workers.
    I will donate to every single player's inevitable gofundme

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I will donate to every single player's inevitable gofundme
    Catch Kyrie Irving making a KickStarter for his quest to build a rocket that will allow him to prove the Earth is flat
    Basketball.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    We may have watched Alvin Gentry’s last game coaching the Pels! How is that not a positive here?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    We may have watched Alvin Gentry’s last game coaching the Pels! How is that not a positive here?
    I wish I could believe that. I fear this will give him yet another reprieve.

maybe Zion can settle these lawsuits before the games resume. Starting to become a headache.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...-ncaa-and-fbi/

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    maybe Zion can settle these lawsuits before the games resume. Starting to become a headache.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...-ncaa-and-fbi/
    Could someone ELI5 this? I'm not quite following what Zion is being accused of here.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Could someone ELI5 this? I'm not quite following what Zion is being accused of here.
    breach of contract. he signed with Prime. Then decided he wanted to go with CAA.

At least we will have a “HORSE” contest

I’m glad our kiddos get to rest and mentally prepare for their real first season altogether and with an off-season to work on their bodies and games.

We have 2 freaks on the roster and people still sleep. It’ll be time to chase 2nd round playoffs next year

Thread Information