Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of Season being Cancelled

Benefits of Season being Cancelled

Ad and Lebron dont win a Championship
    Zion has a chance for the ROY due to both not playing a full season.

Negative
    Gentry will blame the corona virus to keep his job

It's a huge assumption to think that they won't end up doing the playoffs. They probably will, it will just end up being postponed until after the NBA has taken some measures (probably measures of dubious effectiveness, but still). The only impact that this will have on the eventual playoffs will be that they'll probably just move forward with the seeding as it currently is; meaning we will lose our chance at the playoffs.

They'll just award ROTY to Ja because they'll treat it like a lockout season.

Gentry losing or keeping his job has probably already been decided and I doubt that Coronavirus will impact it too much tbh
    Basketball.

Alvin gets another year since he did not finish season? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Alvin gets another year since he did not finish season? What do you think?
    A shortened season will have no bearing on whether Alvin is retained or replaced. Griffin is going to be making that decision on criteria that has nothing to do with the outcome of the last 20 games.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    If it is shortened or eliminated and Pelz don’t make playoffs it also means the lottery will be more fun and looking at prospects as well. Also we’ll have a better pick with a higher chance of getting an impact player or a better asset to trade.

This may be a blessing in disguise for the Pelicans. Better draft pick. Playoffs would be nice, but at least we can head into next season with a chip on our shoulder knowing that we were denied the chance to fight for that 8th seed. Much better than just flat out losing that seed which very well could have happened. Anybody in that 12 to 14 range we should be looking at?

Cancelling two weeks of the season will see the league re-open March 26th. The remaining schedule looks like this:

Pelicans:

Knicks
    @ Orlando
    @ Atlanta
    @ Washington
    @ San Antonio
    Charlotte
    Phoenix
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    @ San Antonio

Memphis:

Toronto
    @ Toronto
    Knicks
    Dallas
    @ Portland
    @ Denver
    @ OKC
    Philadelphia
    @ Houston.

Currently 3.5 games out, I kind of like our chances so long as the layoff doesn't impede the team's progress.

Note: I'm well aware that these aren't the only two teams in the race for the 8th seed.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This may be a blessing in disguise for the Pelicans. Better draft pick. Playoffs would be nice, but at least we can head into next season with a chip on our shoulder knowing that we were denied the chance to fight for that 8th seed. Much better than just flat out losing that seed which very well could have happened. Anybody in that 12 to 14 range we should be looking at?
    Depends what you're looking for. Lots of names though. If Deni or Okoro drop, either of them would be great. Devin Vassell would go well, I think, especially since a lot of people project him more as wing in the NBA than a guard. Killian Tillie is a guy I rank a bit higher than most (a lot of people consider him top 10 in pure ability but age and injury history has them ranking him lower first round) but his pure fit with the team and our needs makes me more willing to take him higher.

If no more regular season games are played, this gives the NBA a great chance to look at a "play-in" tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    If no more regular season games are played, this gives the NBA a great chance to look at a "play-in" tournament.
    Here is the issue(s) with a play in tournament once (if?) the season resumes

1. It was supposed to be for 7th and 8th seeds. Will we really put the Mavs at risk for losing a spot to a team 10 games worse? Answer is obviously no

2. So, people say, 'It should only be for 8th seed"....okay - does that mean East and West? Is there really a need or a big clamoring for a tournament for the 8th seed in the East? Again, answer is no. So, now we are going to have a tournament for 1 spot in the West? Doubtful, but lets keep exploring

3. How many teams are in that tournament? 4 (Grizz, Pels, Blazers, and Kings)....well that isnt fair to the Spurs who are just a half game back of the other 3 and would have been tied with one of those teams if Pels-Kings didnt get cancelled

4. You open up Pandora's box on a tourney just for the 8 seed out West. The argument is the Pels or Blazers could have, heck maybe even were likely to, catch Memphis. Well, by that logic, the Sixers and Pacers will want a play in tournament with Miami for the 4 seed. Miami was struggling and Philly just got Embiid back, Indy just was starting to get the good Oladipo back. I am sure they feel like they could have caught Miami.

And on and on and on. It just doesnt make sense to do a play in. My guess is you see the NBA come back starting at the playoffs. Maybe, there are some local exhibition games for guys to get in shape. To get used to playing opponents with no crowd. To get refs used to calling games with no crowd (yes, that will be a major adjustment too). But I dont forsee any more reg season games or tournament. All options are bad, but this makes the most sense even though it hurts the team we like
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

1. It was supposed to be for 7th and 8th seeds. Will we really put the Mavs at risk for losing a spot to a team 10 games worse? Answer is obviously no

2. So, people say, 'It should only be for 8th seed"....okay - does that mean East and West? Is there really a need or a big clamoring for a tournament for the 8th seed in the East? Again, answer is no. So, now we are going to have a tournament for 1 spot in the West? Doubtful, but lets keep exploring

3. How many teams are in that tournament? 4 (Grizz, Pels, Blazers, and Kings)....well that isnt fair to the Spurs who are just a half game back of the other 3 and would have been tied with one of those teams if Pels-Kings didnt get cancelled

4. You open up Pandora's box on a tourney just for the 8 seed out West. The argument is the Pels or Blazers could have, heck maybe even were likely to, catch Memphis. Well, by that logic, the Sixers and Pacers will want a play in tournament with Miami for the 4 seed. Miami was struggling and Philly just got Embiid back, Indy just was starting to get the good Oladipo back. I am sure they feel like they could have caught Miami.

And on and on and on. It just doesnt make sense to do a play in. My guess is you see the NBA come back starting at the playoffs. Maybe, there are some local exhibition games for guys to get in shape. To get used to playing opponents with no crowd. To get refs used to calling games with no crowd (yes, that will be a major adjustment too). But I dont forsee any more reg season games or tournament. All options are bad, but this makes the most sense even though it hurts the team we like
    5) Given that the season did not play out, the schedules played, to-date, would be the basis for flawed 'seeding'. The Pelicans, who saw the difficult part of their schedule frontloaded, are at a disadvantage to the Grizzlies, who was to have the difficult part of their schedule backloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    5) Given that the season did not play out, the schedules played, to-date, would be the basis for flawed 'seeding'. The Pelicans, who saw the difficult part of their schedule frontloaded, are at a disadvantage to the Grizzlies, who was to have the difficult part of their schedule backloaded.
    Sure. And we care about that more because we are Pelicans fans.

But the reality is that every solution will either be detrimental to other teams or impossible to pull off logistically or both.

So, they will do what is easiest and has the least harm of the easy logistical paths. And, we as Pelicans fans will have to deal with it. And it will all be okay in the end.

Benefits of Season being Cancelled

Less people getting the virus?

Am I right???

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So in the very real likely event that the Pels season is over, we get a scenario where Zion perhaps gets to start his offseason workout plan I'm sure Aaron Nelson and the other trainers and staff have planned for him now or is there some concern about overworking? Is that really a thing? Or just a game mechanic in UFC 3? Wouldn't know. Never worked out that hard in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    So in the very real likely event that the Pels season is over, we get a scenario where Zion perhaps gets to start his offseason workout plan I'm sure Aaron Nelson and the other trainers and staff have planned for him now or is there some concern about overworking? Is that really a thing? Or just a game mechanic in UFC 3? Wouldn't know. Never worked out that hard in my life.
    You can definitely overtrain, but it's a fairly common thing that trainers would be aware of and would be managing anyway, as a matter of course. I don't imagine that there would be anything particular stopping them from starting his off-season training early, as long as they adjusted it to account for the extra time that they'd be doing it. Which, as trained professionals, I'm sure they would do without any issue.

The world is truly coming to an end. Jay Electronica has finally dropped an album.

Its been fun yall. See you on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The world is truly coming to an end. Jay Electronica has finally dropped an album.

Its been fun yall. See you on the other side.
    And I don't care anymore.

That's the problem with artists who take so long to get anything done. Unless whatever they release is an unquestioned masterpiece, it's hard to muster up the excitement over it anymore.

All the hype is dead.

Well hopefully we get rid of Gentry since I haven’t been a fan from day one. We have the personnel to be one of the top 8 teams in the west and we didn’t get there. I know we didn’t have Zion early and I think it’s a done deal we make it had he been there from the beginning. Hopefully us not making the playoffs pushes Griffin to get someone new.

Then we get a lottery pick and get us another piece to add to the squad. I want either a shooting guard, small forward, or power forward. Looking at guards to possibly be the future starter in NAW isn’t the guy in RJ Hampton(who I liked from the beginning of the year. Him not playing college ball will likely drop him further than he would have had he played college ball. But he may be more of a point guard), Kentucky’s Tyrese Maxey, Arizona’s Josh Green, or FSU’s Devin Vassell. Then some small forwards to back up BI in Auburn’s Isaac Okoro or Israel’s Deni Avdija. Power forwards to backup Zion that isn’t a stretch 4 like Melli in Duke’s Vernon Carey Jr, USC’s Onyeka Okongwu, or Washington’s Jaden McDaniels.

Hopefully one of those 9 guys fall to us at the back end of the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Cancelling two weeks of the season will see the league re-open March 26th. .
    Silver already said there’s a 30 day hiatus. That’s best case scenario

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    And I don't care anymore.

That's the problem with artists who take so long to get anything done. Unless whatever they release is an unquestioned masterpiece, it's hard to muster up the excitement over it anymore.

All the hype is dead.
    Man. Quit making a point and press play. You know you gonna. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Man. Quit making a point and press play. You know you gonna. lol
    The Ghost or Soulja Slim though...
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

1. I agree
    2. No one is clamoring for it in the East but given the unprecedented nature of the current situation I can't imagine anyone would be complaining if they had one for the East as well.
    3. There's lots of options here...have the Pels/Blazers/Kings/Spurs play a 4 team bracket with the winner facing the Grizz for the last spot? Grizz get the advantage since they have the lead at the "end" of the season...could play single elimination or best of 3 or whatever. Heck, seed all the teams from 8-15 and give them all a chance. Guessing the NBA/networks would love to fill some inventory, pending the timing of the resumption.
    4. Those teams are still in and have their shot though, so I don't think it would be that difficult to tell them tough luck. Also, there's already some level of groundswell for play-ins at the bottom of the bracket as opposed to the top/middle.

I think the most likely outcome here is the rest of the season is cancelled. And I agree that if there are more games this year, it'll most likely be just playoffs. But I wouldn't mind seeing Silver get creative here, whether it benefits the Pels or no...the more hoops the better, plus it's a great way to work out some kinks and get the public used to the play-in concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    The Ghost or Soulja Slim though...
    That last track. Eyes got a little dusty or something ��

If the rest of the regular season cannot be played but the playoffs are allowed to proceed later this year, then there is an obvious solution:

Even before the coronavirus scare, the NBA was proposing a play-in tournament at the end of each season with the 7th - 10th seeds fighting for the last 2 playoff spots in each conference. Now is a great time to test out that proposal!

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    If the rest of the regular season cannot be played but the playoffs are allowed to proceed later this year, then there is an obvious solution:

Even before the coronavirus scare, the NBA was proposing a play-in tournament at the end of each season with the 7th - 10th seeds fighting for the last 2 playoff spots in each conference. Now is a great time to test out that proposal!
    Go up to post 10 in this thread. I laid out why that probably wont happen

Thread Information