Pelicans Report

Thread: Are the Pels chasing history?

Pelicans Are the Pels chasing history?

I had said that I believe the Pels need to go 13-5 over the last 18 games to be sure to get the last playoff spot. I didn't realize at the time that going 13-5 would give the Pels a 41-41 record on the season.

So that got me thinking about a couple questions I hope you all can help me with.
    1) Has any team ever started the same or worse than 6-22 and still made the playoffs?
    2) Has any team ever started the same or worse than 6-22 and ended up .500 or better?
    3) Has any team ever accomplished both in the same season?

Only thing I could find on the subject is this reddit page: https://amp.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...am_that_still/

I can't give a full comprehensive answer because I don't really know where to look without just manually looking through every season for every team ever and I'm not quite that crazy

But I can answer the first question.

Yes, NBA teams have started 6-22 or worse and still made the playoffs in that year.

The first example that comes to mind is the 1952-53 Baltimore Bullets, who made the playoffs despite starting 6-22 and finishing with a record of 16-54. They remain the worst record of all time to actually make it into the playoffs.

Another team that did it though, which is the only other one I can remember, is the 1984-85 Cleveland Cavaliers, who also started the year exactly 6-22, but finished with a 36-46 record and made it into the playoffs, where they lost 3-1 to the Boston Celtics.

Neither of those teams made it over .500 despite that start, but there could be others that I just don't know about/couldn't find with an easy Google.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I can't give a full comprehensive answer because I don't really know where to look without just manually looking through every season for every team ever and I'm not quite that crazy

Yes, NBA teams have started 6-22 or worse and still made the playoffs in that year.

The first example that comes to mind is the 1952-53 Baltimore Bullets, who made the playoffs despite starting 6-22 and finishing with a record of 16-54. They remain the worst record of all time to actually make it into the playoffs.

Another team that did it though, which is the only other one I can remember, is the 1984-85 Cleveland Cavaliers, who also started the year exactly 6-22, but finished with a 36-46 record and made it into the playoffs, where they lost 3-1 to the Boston Celtics.

Neither of those teams made it over .500 despite that start, but there could be others that I just don't know about/couldn't find with an easy Google.
    Must've been slim pickings that season

I guess it's not how you start but how you finish... oh never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Must've been slim pickings that season
    In that year, there were 5 teams in each conference (10 teams total) and 4 from each conference made the playoffs So yep, the Bullets, with their 16 wins, beat out the 12 win Sixers to make the playoffs.

Incredible stuff. Thrilling scenes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    And people complain now that the NBA regular season doesn’t matter. Wow!

This has got to be the most competitive western conference race ever. 4 teams outside looking in fighting for the 8th spot. 5 if you count Phoenix. It’s exciting to watch to be honest.

so if we make it in the playoffs with at least a .500 record we would have more than likely made history

sweet!

thanks for the info

Thread Information