Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nets fire Kenny Atkinson

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I read on twitter earlier, not sure who it was, that part of the issue was Jordan coming off the bench behind Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Sources in regards to Kenny Atkinson’s departure: “(Some) of the players wanted him gone.”

It was a full on player munity. A lot of Mark Jackson vibes being throen around

WHO DO YOU GOT THEN? okay ill turn off caps. who do you got? perhaps you had to much coffee this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    I read on twitter earlier, not sure who it was, that part of the issue was Jordan coming off the bench behind Allen.
    Would not be surprised. Signing him was a requirement for getting KD and Kyrie. I can't imagine KD or Kyrie are thrilled when the dude they forced you to sign is getting benched for the promising young player. They want their friend getting minutes, dammit!
    Basketball.

He’s still a fantastic development coach. Which whom we desperately need. His game management and adjustments/decisions are pretty average. Horrible at managing superstar personality.

We already get the poor game management and adjustments without the development from Gentry. Either way, he is an upgrade.

I'd still interview Hammon and Tim Duncan..
    I get that you guys hate Gentry. I don't necessarily like him. But he actually has a pretty great track record developing players. Let's keep the hate sensible. Lol
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I get that you guys hate Gentry. I don't necessarily like him. But he actually has a pretty great track record developing players. Let's keep the hate sensible. Lol
    THAT myth already been disproven

THAT myth already been disproven
    Yeah, I don't really get it.

The example that I've been given a lot when Gentry's apparent developmental skills come up is actually AD, but I don't buy that. I feel like with hyper talented players, of course you work with them the same way any coach would, but they kind of develop or not based on their own capacity. That's why you get players like KAT becoming all-time offensive players despite never having had a great, modern, offensive coach.

Nobody ever attributes Lebron's massive success to studying at the school of Paul Silas and Brendan Malone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah, I don't really get it.

The example that I've been given a lot when Gentry's apparent developmental skills come up is actually AD, but I don't buy that. I feel like with hyper talented players, of course you work with them the same way any coach would, but they kind of develop or not based on their own capacity. That's why you get players like KAT becoming all-time offensive players despite never having had a great, modern, offensive coach.

Nobody ever attributes Lebron's massive success to studying at the school of Paul Silas and Brendan Malone.
    It's pretty bad when we had this discussion last year and we really was struggling to put names. We was like Gentry got all these super amazing offenses, but so little of players he got. He developed. I think that's also when we coin Gentry as a Veteran Daycare Coach.

Lonzo and BI improvement was all credit to Vinson.

It's pretty bad when we had this discussion last year and we really was struggling to put names. We was like Gentry got all these super amazing offenses, but so little of players he got. He developed. I think that's also when we coin Gentry as a Veteran Daycare Coach.

Lonzo and BI improvement was all credit to Vinson.

If Knicks are interested in Atkinson he likely goes there. So he probably does not come here. Tyrann Lue a possibility with his connections to Grif.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-07-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Anthony was just as good in his final season under Monty than he ever was under Gentry. If you want to make the argument for Gentry being a good developmental coach, you have to tag Ingram and Ball. Other than that, God no.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Anthony was just as good in his final season under Monty than he ever was under Gentry. If you want to make the argument for Gentry being a good developmental coach, you have to tag Ingram and Ball. Other than that, God no.
    I feel lile the most relative answers are the incredibly raw but disappointing development of...

1. Buddy Heild
    2. Hayes
    3. NAW
    4. Melli

Melli development was basically through experience. Letting Wood leave is another error in talent evaluation by Gentry, because he had to be developed.

I feel lile the most relative answers are the incredibly raw but disappointing development of...

1. Buddy Heild
    2. Hayes
    3. NAW
    4. Melli

Melli development was basically through experience. Letting Wood leave is another error in talent evaluation by Gentry, because he had to be developed.
    That!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Young players need structure. By his own admission, their is no structure involved in 'Gentry Ball'.

1. Buddy Heild
    2. Hayes
    3. NAW
    4. Melli

Agree.

Something I have noticed about Alvin is that he coaches better with glasses. Is it a vision problem that causes Alvin to be a bad coach? Is the simple solution is for him to wear his glasses permanently? Didn’t Kurt Rambis have this same issue?

Would not be surprised. Signing him was a requirement for getting KD and Kyrie. I can't imagine KD or Kyrie are thrilled when the dude they forced you to sign is getting benched for the promising young player. They want their friend getting minutes, dammit!
    Well it's not like Irving and Duran are starting either...

Well it's not like Irving and Duran are starting either...
    Yes, but that's cause they're injured. When Kyrie has been available to play, he has started. When KD is healthy next year, he will start. And I'm pretty sure that thy probably want their best friend DAJ starting too, or at least playing heavy minutes; right now, he's averaging 21 minutes a night, and has spent much of the season coming off the bench behind Jarrett Allen. That's cause Atkinson at least plays his young talent and works to develop them. KD and Kyrie probably want their friend starting, and they want him playing significant minutes.

Does that make sense? No. Does Kyrie Irving, at least, ever make sense? Also no.

Just to add to the “player revolt” angle, I think it’s worth noting that in his latest pod Zach Lowe also said “I know for a fact there are several players who are upset about this decision (to fire Kenny)”. There is also video of Caris Lavert being interviewed about it and he doesn’t seem to thrilled to see him go. He also pushes back on the notion that Kenny’s voice stopped carrying weight in the locker room, although curiously mentioned “...but you knows? We do have a lot of new guys this year and you know how that goes.”

It’s also being rumored that Jordan will be reinserted into the starting lineup over Allen today, which would be telling.

[
    Yooo... Trade that garbage pick for Allen immediately.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'd include Hayes in that trade in a hot second. He'd learn a lot behind Jordan I figure. They're pretty similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'd include Hayes in that trade in a hot second. He'd learn a lot behind Jordan I figure. They're pretty similar.
    No

Nah, I feel that vastly undersells Jax's upside. DJ was never as fluid in his movement as Jax is, and as a result never projected to have the perimeter defense abilities that Jax has the potential to get. At the same time, DJ's dreadful touch and FT shooting is a far sight from Jax's relatively pretty and smooth form at the line, and he's already hit a couple of 3s and long 2s in both Summer League and the regular season that show his potential range to be far greater than DJs as well.

They're similar in that they're both tall guys with good leaping abilities who can protect the rim. The similarities end pretty much there, though.

I don't think I want Hayes trying to stretch and be a shooter. He wnats to swat shots and be in the right position to defend the rim. Plus, I want Caris LeVert.

I don't think I want Hayes trying to stretch and be a shooter. He wnats to swat shots and be in the right position to defend the rim. Plus, I want Caris LeVert.
    You can stretch and defend the rim. Both are possible. Myles Turner, last year's Brook Lopez, for examples. Being a capable shooter on offense does not mean you can't swat shots on defense.

You can stretch and defend the rim. Both are possible. Myles Turner, last year's Brook Lopez, for examples. Being a capable shooter on offense does not mean you can't swat shots on defense.
    Not so much that you can't walk and chew bubblegum. Just that I'm not sure if Hayes can.

Too early to tell, of course. But I'd wager against it if pressed.

Thread Information