Pelicans Report

Thread: Welp now what? No playoff shot. But

Welp now what? No playoff shot. But

With our season all but over with 20 games left there's no way we make the playoffs. How would you like to approach the rest of the season? Should Zion sit the rest of the season to get fully healthy? Or let him keep running and getting him in shape? I would really like to see our young talent get more minutes against teams that's fighting for seeding.

What's y'all take?

First, while I don't believe it should be a situation where we fully sell out to try, I don't believe the door has closed on the playoffs yet. Memphis closing schedule is STILL brutal, we play the Grizzlies twice, and still have a soft closing schedule. Having said that, I do believe you continue to play Zion, because he needs to get as many NBA minutes as he's healthy enough to do. You don't get better unless you're getting the reps.

On that note, I also would like to see Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker get more minutes. If we lose because of it, oh well. Melli should continue to get minutes, and anyone we don't see as a long-term player here (Okafor, Moore, etc) should no longer be getting minutes unless it's an injury fill-in situation. The close of the season needs to be about reps and evaluation for this offseason.

He needs to play his way into shape. No point in sitting him out. Minute restriction maybe but sitting him out is totaly pointless.
    Also, playoff race is not over, its game of streaks ...

With this coach and his rotations our schedule is hard as hell.

Pels have to 15 and 5 to go 41-41.
    Not impossible.
    Highly unlikely since their biggest win streak this season is 4 games.

I want to new coach over playoffs.

Of course he should be playing. He's healthy, play him.

This discussion is so bizarre to me. He's healthy. If he needs to sit a game for any reason, our med staff has shown that they will do that (Indiana game he missed) and they will even refuse to allow him to be put back in a game if they think he's too tired (Spurs debut). He's being closely monitored by people who are actually professionals in this field.

If they say he's good to play, let him play. There is nowhere better for him to get experience, have the game slow down, develop chemistry, etc, than on the basketball court with the team.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Of course he should be playing. He's healthy, play him.

This discussion is so bizarre to me. He's healthy. If he needs to sit a game for any reason, our med staff has shown that they will do that (Indiana game he missed) and they will even refuse to allow him to be put back in a game if they think he's too tired (Spurs debut). He's being closely monitored by people who are actually professionals in this field.

If they say he's good to play, let him play. There is nowhere better for him to get experience, have the game slow down, develop chemistry, etc, than on the basketball court with the team.
    Kevin Durant

Klay Thompson

Kyrie Irving

The fact Zion already has an injury history here with our luck(#PelsLife) it might be best to be cautious and restrict his minutes. We already know we have gold. Let’s not lose it .

Thread Information