Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Thread: 4th March - New Orleans Pelicans @ Dallas Mavericks - 26-35

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    This game was lost in the final minute of regulation.

With one minute left in the 4th here are our final possessions:

1:06: Derrick Favors defensive rebound - up one
    0:59: Ingram misses 26 ft 3 pointer (elapsed time: 7 seconds)
    0:36: Pelicans get ball at midcourt after time out (Curry hits 3 pointer) - down 2
    0:29: Ball misses 26 ft 3 pointer (elapsed time: 7 seconds)
    0:27: Favors get offensive rebound
    0:19: Favors misses 22 ft 3 pointer (elapsed time 8 seconds)
    0:10 Pelicans get ball at midcourt after time out (Curry hits one of 2 FT) - down 3
    0:09 Pelicans get ball at midcourt after Hardaway Fouls
    0:07 Melli hits 23 foot 3 to tie game.

So with a minute left in the game and Pels up by one, The Pels proceeded to take four threes in less than one minute. Nobody thought of posting up Williamson. Holiday didn't drive once to score. Dallas didn't beat the Pels, our design (or lack thereof) beat us.
    This is entirely on Gentry.
    This is the system he breeds.
    No player with any level IQ takes a 3 when you are up by 1.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The focus is on his lack of ability to finish at the rim consistently. Which as we all saw last night, can help the team to a nice L despite a good game otherwise...for 1.

And also the fact that it is perplexing as to WHY he's so bad near the rim...for 2.
    Yep. his two misses at the rim cost us the game. The 25 he scored, the defense he played, the assists, rebounds, etc. were irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yep. his two misses at the rim cost us the game. The 25 he scored, the defense he played, the assists, rebounds, etc. were irrelevant.
    Regardless of whether it cost us this particular game (it didn't) I think we can all agree that Lonzos remarkably inconsistent ability to do anything inside of 25 feet is an issue that does have certain deleterious effects on the team, particular in half court offense.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Considering the moments of the game when it happened, it helped. Which is what I typed...helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Regardless of whether it cost us this particular game (it didn't) I think we can all agree that Lonzos remarkably inconsistent ability to do anything inside of 25 feet is an issue that does have certain deleterious effects on the team, particular in half court offense.
    While still not as consistent as anyone would like, I do think he's made a significant improvement on his ability (and desire) to finish at the rim. I thought in the last game he had some pretty good drives and finishes at the rim. I do agree he blew some layups and put backs in the 4th. He's still showing consistent improvement throughout the year.

My hope is both he and Ingram will go into the off season healthy, and build on what they accomplished this year.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Considering the moments of the game when it happened, it helped. Which is what I typed...helped.
    Every miss helped. That is why it is so silly to try and pinpoint a particular play from a player that contributed so much in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    No doubt it is a weakness in his game that needs to be worked on. However, too often people want to only look at a players' weakness and not what they contribute to the team.

Thread Information