Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th March - New Orleans Pelicans @ Dallas Mavericks - 26-35

Pelicans 4th March - New Orleans Pelicans @ Dallas Mavericks - 26-35

And so, with a loss to Minnesota, the Pelicans lose 2 consecutive games for the first time since February 2nd/4th. Unfortunately, that game was the easy one of the back to back. Tonight we play Dallas, who aren't a 17 win team; in fact, they're a 37 win team. We'll get to that.

This game is scheduled to begin at 2:30AM GMT; This correlates to 8:30PM CST

I would normally post the injury report here but I can't because it doesn't exist yet.

So, Dallas then. Dallas are 37-25, which is good. They've only won 4 of their last 7 though, and these 3 losses include losses to Atlanta and Chicago. That is to say, Dallas are not unstoppable.

But they are quite good. And that's a problem for the Pelicans. Recently, we've been cleaning up against bad teams. Obviously we lost against Minnesota last night, but aside from that we've beaten Cleveland (2x), Portland (2x), Golden State, Chicago (2x), Memphis (2x), Detroit and Sacramento since January 1st. That is, when we come up against a team we should definitely beat we have managed to do it, for the most part.

Our win record against actually decent teams? Much worse, as we all know.

We all remember that early in the season, Dallas was doing fantastically well; Luka was leading them to a historically great offense. This offense has dropped off a little, but only a little; their 117 ORtg still leads the league, and is still on pace for the best offensive efficiency of all time. It just isn't setting the record by quite as significant a margin as it was before. Their defense though? Almost as bad as ours. Our defense is 20th in the league now (actually an improvement over where it was most of the year) and Dallas' is 17th. Obviously that's still better than ours, and their offense is definitely offsetting it, but it does mean that we should be able to actually run some offense. If we feel like it. Y'know. Maybe.

Why are they so good? It's all Luka magic. He's 20 years old, and currently averaging 28.5/9.3/8.8. His defense still isn't great, but it's improved since last year. He's a master of pace, and plays with ridiculous levels of feel and control; he's arguably already a top 10 player in basketball at the age of 20, and he's in line to be in competition with Giannis and Zion for the next decade of NBA dominance.

Dallas are also not prone to beating themselves; they average about 12 turnovers a game, the 3rd fewest in the league, and they don't foul; they're in the bottom 10 for foul frequency.

Can this be won? Of course it can. Can it be won with us playing like we did yesterday? Not at all. If the guys want a win tonight, it's out there, but they'll have to bring their A game on the road. Last night's effort won't cut it; last time we played like that against Dallas, we got killed. I don't think I need to bring up the 130-84 loss, but I'm going to do it anyway.

So go out there and actually try. Play hard, with effort. Attack the rim hard and often. Porzingis is a good shot blocker but he's also frail; Zion should be moving him every play. Ingram needs to have a decent shooting night. We need Jrue to play aggressive. And we need Lonzo to keep up his recent good stretch. All that plus a little bit of bench input and some defense should do it. The only question is if the team's got the juice.

#WBD
    Basketball.

Is KP playing?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Is KP playing?
    I believe so. Dallas themselves have yet to release an injury report for this game (as have the Pelicans) but ESPN has their injury list as

Dwight Powell: Out, Achilles rupture
    Jalen Brunson: Out, Torn Labrum
    Willie Cauley-Stein: Out, personal reasons
    Seth Curry: Questionable, back injury
    JJ Barea: Questionable, ankle injury.

KP, Doncic, Kleber, Tim Hardaway Jr, all the big names, should still be playing.

I say we focus on development now that the 8th spot is pretty much out of reach. Put Jax and Naw back in the rotation. Frank needs to see less minutes and Etwaun.

If we lose this one I know it won’t be a popular decision but we are pretty much done. Shut Zion down for year or at least limit his minutes. We know we have gold now. Last thing we need is a Kevin Durant injury if we know we are not going to playoffs.

Watch us win this game lol

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Watch us win this game lol
    yea we will only because its a road game. We are so as backwards

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    yea we will only because its a road game. We are so as backwards
    Bass ackward is the correct term. Lol

12-19 at home. The worst home record among teams with 20 wins. And don't blame the fans for not showing up. You want fans to show up. You have to win home games.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    I say we focus on development now that the 8th spot is pretty much out of reach. Put Jax and Naw back in the rotation. Frank needs to see less minutes and Etwaun.
    Except that the 8th is not out of reach yet. Once it is, I agree that we should give Hayes and NAW more PT.

Last night was demoralizing.

This night was penciled in as an almost for sure loss, by me. Steal this win and last night will be forgotten.

Even with a loss tonight, we still have the best shot at the 8th seed......though I do understand the melodrama. I feel it, too.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

This night was penciled in as an almost for sure loss, by me. Steal this win and last night will be forgotten.

Even with a loss tonight, we still have the best shot at the 8th seed......though I do understand the melodrama. I feel it, too.
    Yep, you're right.

The point was, at least in the abstract, to beat Minnesota and probably lose to Dallas, resulting in us going 1-1 over this back to back.

It sucks that we lost last night against Minnesota, of course, but there's no actual difference to our record if we beat Dallas and lose to Minnesota. It's 1-1 either way.

Okay so I'm at the game and Lonzo is a shooter fr now. He's hitting 10 in a row from 3, miss one and then 10 more in a row. It's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Okay so I'm at the game and Lonzo is a shooter fr now. He's hitting 10 in a row from 3, miss one and then 10 more in a row. It's crazy.
    Lonzo's improvement as a shooter is impressive. As the season's gone along, his adjustment to the new form seems to be getting more and more natural and it's good to see.

That said, I don't really take too much from practice/warm-up shooting Ben Simmons shoots like 60% from 3 in warm-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

Believe it or not it is still not to late to tank either !

Is there anyway D. Mill 2 trill returns for playoffs? He's out here warming up and dont look too bad. He looks about 4-6 weeks away.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Is there anyway D. Mill 2 trill returns for playoffs? He's out here warming up and dont look too bad. He looks about 4-6 weeks away.
    I think it's allowed, by league rules. He's been on the roster the whole time. I don't think it's likely though, an Achilles is usually the entire year, and even if he came back he'd be super super super rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lonzo's improvement as a shooter is impressive. As the season's gone along, his adjustment to the new form seems to be getting more and more natural and it's good to see.

That said, I don't really take too much from practice/warm-up shooting Ben Simmons shoots like 60% from 3 in warm-ups.
    Lol that's true too. But I remember going to games and watching Austin Rivers go 4 for 25 in warmups lol
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 03-08-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Believe it or not it is still not to late to tank either !
    Haha. True.

I can't wait to get AIDS watching this game.

''Zion's first time facing Doncic, in the NBA!''

And also, his first time facing him anywhere, including not in the NBA. Weird addendum for them to tack on, there.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    A.I.D.S. = ALVIN IS DONE SOON

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    Don't watch it with your pet Gorilla then.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Don't watch it with your pet Gorilla then.
    That's what this hairy ball of existential dread was?

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    If our guys aren't fighting through screens early or playing with defensive energy, this game could get out of hand real quick.

Ball with a 3 to start things off

Thread Information