Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: 3rd March - New Orleans Pelicans vs Minnesota Timberwolves - 26-34

I didn't know a game was on today, but I did check the box scores and seen that Hayes has logged his new normal of minutes. It really sucks seeing him with so much potential getting pushed to the back of the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    I didn't know a game was on today, but I did check the box scores and seen that Hayes has logged his new normal of minutes. It really sucks seeing him with so much potential getting pushed to the back of the bench.
    It's so frustrating. We're so focused on playoffs that we've left development and youth experience on the wayside. Same reason Hayes has been pushed out of the rotation is the same reason Frank and Moore get priority minutes over NAW. Gentry wants to try and win games because his #1 priority is playoffs.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's so frustrating. We're so focused on playoffs that we've left development and youth experience on the wayside. Same reason Hayes has been pushed out of the rotation is the same reason Frank and Moore get priority minutes over NAW. Gentry wants to try and win games because his #1 priority is playoffs.
    I think that has a lot to do with Zion's development. They feel him playing meaningful games is best for him in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think that has a lot to do with Zion's development. They feel him playing meaningful games is best for him in the long run.
    Maybe, but given that NAW hasn't gotten consistent minutes since like, early December, I find that slightly hard to believe.

Also, if meaningful games are good for Zion's development, why wouldn't they be good for Hayes' or NAW's? If the only answer is ''because we'd lose them'', then it's clear that the aim isn't the meaningful games for development, and is instead because victory is the priority. Which is fine, if that's what they want to do, then do it, but if that's the case then just keep NAW and Hayes in the G League rather than letting them rot on the bench behind Moore and Frank.

What a terrible loss.

Our defense - every last player - was terrible. They used and abused us in that pick and roll and that’s an all hands on deck activity play you have to defend with everyone on the floor. This definitely should be Gentry’s one that did him in game. He’s running out of excuses.

I agree with those questioning the Hayes and Naw bench job. In a game like tonight, Hayes energy could have been used to light a fire. If he makes a defensive mistake, it wouldn’t be worse than the output we were getting out there from anyone else. NAW is disappointing more so because we as the fans have to hope and rely on some glimmer that he’s using this as fuel in the offseason to stay in the gym. I hope they know what they are doing with his situation.

We have to make this game up somewhere. It’s been time to buckle down but we are going to learn a lot about our team tonight against the Mavs.

Maybe, but given that NAW hasn't gotten consistent minutes since like, early December, I find that slightly hard to believe.

Also, if meaningful games are good for Zion's development, why wouldn't they be good for Hayes' or NAW's? If the only answer is ''because we'd lose them'', then it's clear that the aim isn't the meaningful games for development, and is instead because victory is the priority. Which is fine, if that's what they want to do, then do it, but if that's the case then just keep NAW and Hayes in the G League rather than letting them rot on the bench behind Moore and Frank.
    We are atill losing with Moore and Frank. I really don't see why not give him those minutes.

Gentry addiction to small lineups is annoying. It's like we only can have one legitimate big on the floor.

If Zion sits. Why not roll Hayes/Favors/Melli... Instead of going 4 guards and Melli.

What do NAW's minutes have to do with Zion's development? Hayes and NAW are obviously very raw. It is tough to develop 3 rookies and still try to win in order to ensure there are meaningful games next year. How many teams try to develop 3 rookies in one season and are still concerned about trying to get to the playoffs? It is a very tough balance.

What do NAW's minutes have to do with Zion's development? Hayes and NAW are obviously very raw. It is tough to develop 3 rookies and still try to win in order to ensure there are meaningful games next year. How many teams try to develop 3 rookies in one season and are still concerned about trying to get to the playoffs? It is a very tough balance.
    This team was 6-22. They should of been developing players all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    This team was 6-22. They should of been developing players all season.
    And during that time, Hayes was getting a decent amount of PT and NAW was getting some. However, even though we were 6-22, have we not been close enough to #8 to have a shot?

And during that time, Hayes was getting a decent amount of PT and NAW was getting some. However, even though we were 6-22, have we not been close enough to #8 to have a shot?
    All we been doing is beating garbage teams. I prefer to not Zion get his confidence in the playoff shattered for a meaningless sweep or worse... Get injured. I don't need 4 extra Ls to end the season. It doesn't do anything. Missing playoff, getting a better recovery time, and more time to develop >>> playoffs

These cats aren't ready, and I prefer them to not get embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    All we been doing is beating garbage teams. I prefer to not Zion get his confidence in the playoff shattered for a meaningless sweep or worse... Get injured. I don't need 4 extra Ls to end the season. It doesn't do anything. Missing playoff, getting a better recovery time, and more time to develop >>> playoffs

These cats aren't ready, and I prefer them to not get embarrassed.
    Most NBA coaches and execs would disagree completely with that. The experience of playing meaningful games as well as playoff experience would far outweigh an extra week off at the end of the season in their minds.

Closing my eyes tonight against the Mavs. Will probably lose by 20.

Edit: Sorry, this should go to the Pels vs. Mavs post.

Thread Information