Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd March - New Orleans Pelicans vs Minnesota Timberwolves - 26-34

Zion has 20 for the 12th straight game, extended his all-time record for most consecutive 20pt games from a teenager.

Blake Griffin's 14 consecutive 20 point games is the most by a rookie of any age since 2000. Zion closing in.
    Basketball.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Defensive metrics aren't *quite* as good as offensive ones at capturing value, so just keep that in mind, but here's how they are right now.

DBPM:-0.4
    STL%: 1.3%
    BLK%: 1.6%
    DRPM: -0.37
    D-PIPM:-0.77

I think what's important to remember is that wingspan isn't everything. Ingram is very thin, with long legs and high hips. His lack of strength in his frame, combined with that high centre of gravity, means that he's pretty easy to move from his spot and his balance isn't great, and the long legs combined with poor hip mobility means that he generally has a nightmare navigating screens. His length can't compensate for that, much of the time.

Edit: I just want to add, this isn't me agreeing or disagreeing about Ingram being worth a max or whatever. I'm literally just answering the question about the metrics
    Scottie Pippen was the same height and wingspan, but he weighed 225 lbs as opposed to Ingrams 190. So gaining 35 pounds would be a good start for B.I.

It's about attitude too.

Good defense on Zion, using his bodyweight to stop Reid from getting closer to the rim despite giving up plenty of height.

Moore fouls

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Scottie Pippen was the same height and wingspan, but he weighed 225 lbs as opposed to Ingrams 190. So gaining 35 pounds would be a good start for B.I.

It's about attitude too.
    Pippen's body type was also completely different. Defense is about more than just height and wingspan.

Yes, Ingram could definitely do with putting on 15lbs or so.

Expecting anyone to be Pippen is unreasonable.

Zion is super effective. How would've thunk?
    Actual proof Greivis Vasquez can throw Anthony Davis an Alley-OOP on an (kinda) fastbreak!

Zion's line tonight (26 minutes played)

25 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, 1 block. 10/16 shooting (62.5%). Some good individual defense.

He's gud, folks.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Pippen's body type was also completely different. Defense is about more than just height and wingspan.

Yes, Ingram could definitely do with putting on 15lbs or so.

Expecting anyone to be Pippen is unreasonable.
    I'm not expecting 8x All Defense First Team.

I would be OK with: "Not a Huge Liability"

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I'm not expecting 8x All Defense First Team.

I would be OK with: "Not a Huge Liability"
    That's fair, and I agree. He has a lot of room to improve on defense, there's no doubt about that.

Zion didn't foul there, imo. He didn't foul to make McLaughlin fall, and he fell into Zion's knee. Unless they expect Zion to phase out of reality to allow McLaughlin's head to pass through that space, that's not a foul; there's nothing he could have done, and it was entirely a basketball play.

Hall of Famer
    The full 48

Zion's 12 game streak of consecutive 20pt games is the 3rd longest in Pelicans history.

Anthony Davis is the only player with longer; one streak of 13, and another of 20.

Zion's line tonight (26 minutes played)

25 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, 1 block. 10/16 shooting (62.5%). Some good individual defense.

He's gud, folks.
    Still pretty terrible at help defense. Do you think it's just cause he's 15 games in? Conditioning? Will never have the brain for it? Or doesn't have the lateral ability/wing span for it?

I'm praying for a future where he is one of the most feared help defenders in the league.

Man this team stinks at home.

Jrue always split FT in the 4th man...

Jrue... make a god damn free throw.

Jrue...

So, if we lose this game, is this week setting up to be the death knell of our playoff chances?

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    So, if we lose this game, is this week setting up to be the death knell of our playoff chances?
    6-22 was our death knell

We're going to lose this game, aren't we? Hahahaha

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Pick and roll is about as basic a thing as it gets and we just cannot guard it.

This game is smeling like a loss...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    This is freaking ridiculous.

16-3 run for the Timberwolves? Pathetic!!!

12-19 at home.

Thread Information