Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NAW being assigned to G-League

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Mr Grubb's got it right.

And, I don't think G League would help Okafor, but I definitely think it would help JAX.
    Yeah,

The TBW crew not afraid of the truth!NAW is NOT the worse player on our team.

Mr Grubb's got it right.

And, I don't think G League would help Okafor, but I definitely think it would help JAX.
    I think the G-League would help Jaxson, for sure. I just don't think we have enough depth at center to take him off the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's one of those things. I don't really like it because in reality a huge part of the reason NAW has been bad is that he's had no real opportunities or consistency or anything else like that. He plays 2 random minutes at some point in the second half of every other game right now and he's usually shoved in with some garbage lineup that makes no sense and should never play (remember Alvin getting heated because we nearly blew a lead, while completely ignoring that he was playing 3 centres for some reason?).

But whatever the reason, the end result is that right now he's not playing any organised basketball, he's getting little to no experience, and he's not getting any reps. So sure, send him to the G League. At least they'll play him.
    I’ll be fair to Nickeil in the sense that Gentry has been awful with him. Spot minutes out of the blue and pulling him after any and every mistake just makes it impossible for a player to grow. Just get him away from this coach.

He needs to be ready to play significant bench minutes next season considering Moore and Frank most likely will not be back. Get him as many reps as possible in the G league and build his confidence back up so he's ready to go.

Additionally, getting him some play at PG with Erie will be important if, god forbid, we have injuries to Lonzo and/or Jrue. At that point we would be left with no back up PG, so NAW could still be potentially thrust into that position. I'm assuming Erie plays a similar style of ball.

It's one of those things. I don't really like it because in reality a huge part of the reason NAW has been bad is that he's had no real opportunities or consistency or anything else like that. He plays 2 random minutes at some point in the second half of every other game right now and he's usually shoved in with some garbage lineup that makes no sense and should never play (remember Alvin getting heated because we nearly blew a lead, while completely ignoring that he was playing 3 centres for some reason?).

But whatever the reason, the end result is that right now he's not playing any organised basketball, he's getting little to no experience, and he's not getting any reps. So sure, send him to the G League. At least they'll play him.
    Have you changed your stance on the G-League?

I recall before the season started, you said that sitting on the bench on the big team was better than playing big, critical minutes in Erie. Specifically, you said merely being around the big team would be more beneficial than playing every night in the minors. Just curious.

BTW: I did tell you that the biggest loser of minutes when Zion got back would be # 10. I'm sure your argument will be that Melli is getting Hayes minutes. Well without Zion, Melli would probably still be an afterthought. (and I'm the biggest Melli fan on the board).

Cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I’ll be fair to Nickeil in the sense that Gentry has been awful with him. Spot minutes out of the blue and pulling him after any and every mistake just makes it impossible for a player to grow. Just get him away from this coach.
    For sure. And to make it clear, I'm not trying to say that he's only been bad cause of this stuff; he has made some baffling decisions when he's been on the court and he's shot just awfully.

The issue is that it's a coaches job to put players in the position to succeed, and Gentry hasn't done that for NAW.
    Basketball.

The issue is that it's a coaches job to put players in the position to succeed, and Gentry hasn't done that for NAW.
    But at this point in the season I'm not sure you can necessarily fault Gentry for that. We're just too deep of a team to have a rookie playing significant minutes.

It's not like we have some old dude who's not part of the future stealing his minutes either, which is an issue I've had in the past with Gentry. There's just legitimately no way to get NAW on the floor consistently without losing games.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I think the G-League would help Jaxson, for sure. I just don't think we have enough depth at center to take him off the roster.
    You could get center minutes from Favors, Melli, Zion, and Jah (if necessary). Most teams don't run 10 to 12 man rotations, and we are only talking about a month left to G=League season.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    But at this point in the season I'm not sure you can necessarily fault Gentry for that. We're just too deep of a team to have a rookie playing significant minutes.

It's not like we have some old dude who's not part of the future stealing his minutes either, which is an issue I've had in the past with Gentry. There's just legitimately no way to get NAW on the floor consistently without losing games.
    I mean, in the past 5 games we've played E'twaun Moore a total of 58 minutes, which in a perfect world would be all minutes NAW would have taken, because Moore has absolutely no future on this team beyond this year (imo). But it's sort of a catch 22; you can't play NAW now because we're trying to win and he's so stunted in his rookie development, but a huge part of the reason he's stunted is that there's been this refusal to give him much opportunity throughout the year.

I'm not saying that the solution is now, at this point, to just cut all Moore/Jackson minutes and give them all to NAW, because he's not where he should be (obviously). I'm just saying that the reason he's not where he should be is at least partially a result of the choice to not give him those opportunities earlier in the year, and the two issues (team goals V player management) are in conflict as a result of that.

You could get center minutes from Favors, Melli, Zion, and Jah (if necessary). Most teams don't run 10 to 12 man rotations, and we are only talking about a month left to G=League season.
    Teams factor in experience that players get in practice against other NBA players as well. I do not know their practice schedule but I am sure they are weighing that into a decision as well.

For sure. And to make it clear, I'm not trying to say that he's only been bad cause of this stuff; he has made some baffling decisions when he's been on the court and he's shot just awfully.

He has been kind of poo to be sure. BUT, I think we see a much better Nickeil if he was confident and managed differently. That first game against Toronto pretty much summed it up. I didn’t have a problem with any of the shots he took, but they weren’t falling that night. What does Gentry do? Tells him not to play his game and question and doubt every decision he makes. He’s a cocky guy. Telling him not to be that sparkplug completely hinders his game. He will make mistakes just like every one of our players has with aplomb. Don’t treat him like a villain because he’s a rookie.

I mean, in the past 5 games we've played E'twaun Moore a total of 58 minutes, which in a perfect world would be all minutes NAW would have taken, because Moore has absolutely no future on this team beyond this year (imo). But it's sort of a catch 22; you can't play NAW now because we're trying to win and he's so stunted in his rookie development, but a huge part of the reason he's stunted is that there's been this refusal to give him much opportunity throughout the year.

I'm not saying that the solution is now, at this point, to just cut all Moore/Jackson minutes and give them all to NAW, because he's not where he should be (obviously). I'm just saying that the reason he's not where he should be is at least partially a result of the choice to not give him those opportunities earlier in the year, and the two issues (team goals V player management) are in conflict as a result of that.
    Come on now. For the season, he's averaged 12.2 minutes (a full quarter) per game played . So it's not like he hasn't gotten minutes, True, since the return of Zion, his minutes have gone down dramatically, but that only increases the number of minutes he played earlier in the season. Had he proven ready, he would still be playing.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-26-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Say what you want about Gentry's in game decision making with timeouts, lineups, and schemes. Those are valid. What isn't valid is questioning how he handles rookies. That's the one thing Gentry has done well consistently. Develop young talent.

NAW looked great in preseason, has looked like a rookie ever since. And he is playing more than two spot min. Lol. I still think NAW will be great. But let's not twist facts just so we can try to slam Gentry more. This is a great move. It didn't happen sooner because we weren't fully locked into "win" mode all season. We were in developmental mode. It's why we heard so many different things leading up to the trade deadline. The team wanted to assess Zion before committing on a playoff push. This move signifies that they are all in on the playoff push.....in my view. Everyone will read the tea leaves differently.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 02-26-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Say what you want about Gentry's in game decision making with timeouts, lineups, and schemes. Those are valid. What isn't valid is questioning how he handles rookies. That's the one thing Gentry has done well consistently. Develop young talent.

NAW looked great in preseason, has looked like a rookie ever since. And he is playing more than two spot min. Lol. I still think NAW will be great. But let's not twist facts just so we can try to slam Gentry more. This is a great move. It didn't happen sooner because we weren't fully locked into "win" mode all season. We were in developmental mode. It's why we heard so many different things leading up to the trade deadline. The team wanted to assess Zion before committing on a playoff push. This move signifies that they are all in on the playoff push.....in my view. Everyone will read the tea leaves differently.
    NAW has played in a total of of 41 games this year, and in 24 of them he has played fewer than 12 minutes. He has played 5 minutes or fewer in 10 games (a quarter of his appearances). He has not hit 6 minutes played in a game since January 20th. He's touched the court in only 3 of our last 10 games, and played a combined 11 minutes in those 3 games.

Regardless of whether you think he got enough minutes early on in the season, which you may well believe (he was getting about 15 minutes per game for the first dozen games or so of the year), you cannot deny that for the last month, 6 weeks-ish, NAW has absolutely been playing irregular, often small minutes with sub-optimal lineups, usually when the game is already absolutely over.

NAW has played in a total of of 41 games this year, and in 24 of them he has played fewer than 12 minutes. He has played 5 minutes or fewer in 10 games (a quarter of his appearances). He has not hit 6 minutes played in a game since January 20th. He's touched the court in only 3 of our last 10 games, and played a combined 11 minutes in those 3 games.

Regardless of whether you think he got enough minutes early on in the season, which you may well believe (he was getting about 15 minutes per game for the first dozen games or so of the year), you cannot deny that for the last month, 6 weeks-ish, NAW has absolutely been playing irregular, often small minutes with sub-optimal lineups, usually when the game is already absolutely over.
    .....and does this mean he's been mishandled as you suggest? (and it's still an average of 12.2 minutes per game for those 41 games he's played in)
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-26-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

Thanks for that laugh.

I was against this at the beginning of the season, but in his last few cameos it looked like he forgot how to play basketball. I am a big believer in some of the things he showed in summer league and preseason, and I still think he will be a player, but he needs to see the ball go in the basket, have things slow down a little bit, and regain his confidence so he can work toward a rotation spot next year.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's the best thing for him right now. IF we're going to not play Hayes much either, should send him too.

Come on now. For the season, he's averaged 12.2 minutes (a full quarter) per game played . So it's not like he hasn't gotten minutes, True, since the return of Zion, his minutes have gone down dramatically, but that only increases the number of minutes he played earlier in the season. Had he proven ready, he would still be playing.
    He has 17 DNPs. So, the 12.2 minutes per game averages out to about 8.5 minutes per game the Pels have played. You can't say he is getting minutes if he has 17 DNPs and is playing sporatically (and does not even know when he will play). He played big minutes in a couple of games early in the season and played well offensively. He just needs to put in the work in the G-League and build his confidence back up.

I suggested they should do this weeks ago. Part of the reason to invest in a G League franchise as the Pels have done is so that your young talent can get game experience instead of just racking up DNPs at the end of the bench. NAW needs to play but he hasn’t been ready for full NBA action. G League is a step up from college and will give him a chance to work on his shot and decision making inside the Pels system. I think he could get a lot out of it.

NAW's G League debut happened tonight.

Eerie Bayhawks beat Long Island Nets, 125-124

NAW had 23 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 9 turnovers on 42.1% shooting, and 37.5% from 3 (3/8)

Zylan Cheatham put up 10 points and 10 rebounds on only 3/10 shooting, a pretty low quality game for him.

Obviously most of us don't pay that much attention to the G League, but Zylan has been quietly putting up big numbers down there. Here's his last 5 games:

Tonight: 10 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 30% shooting.
    - 20 points, 16 rebounds, 1 assist, 69.2% shooting
    - 17 points, 21 rebounds, 2 assists, 57% shooting
    - 20 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 60% shooting
    - 20 points, 21 rebounds, 1 assist, 72.7%FG

Other standout games include 29 points with 18 rebounds, a 23 point/16 rebound outing, and 2 consecutive games of 20 points and 13 boards with 4 assists on 60% shooting. Also worth noting that Zylan has shot 34.5% from 3 on 3.5 per game He's having a good time down there

NAW's G League debut happened tonight.

Eerie Bayhawks beat Long Island Nets, 125-124

NAW had 23 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 9 turnovers on 42.1% shooting, and 37.5% from 3 (3/8)

Zylan Cheatham put up 10 points and 10 rebounds on only 3/10 shooting, a pretty low quality game for him.

Obviously most of us don't pay that much attention to the G League, but Zylan has been quietly putting up big numbers down there. Here's his last 5 games:

Tonight: 10 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 30% shooting.
    - 20 points, 16 rebounds, 1 assist, 69.2% shooting
    - 17 points, 21 rebounds, 2 assists, 57% shooting
    - 20 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 60% shooting
    - 20 points, 21 rebounds, 1 assist, 72.7%FG

Other standout games include 29 points with 18 rebounds, a 23 point/16 rebound outing, and 2 consecutive games of 20 points and 13 boards with 4 assists on 60% shooting. Also worth noting that Zylan has shot 34.5% from 3 on 3.5 per game He's having a good time down there
    Zylan has the right type of body and athleticism to defend forwards. If he can shoot ~35% from 3 and can defend in a team concept he's an NBA player. Rebounding would help too.

Thread Information