Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wing defenders

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    No, that’s the thing, there isn’t anyone in the NBA right now (or in the near future) who can defend Lebron, so you need a better gameplan.
    Most of the guys in the league who are best on Lebron are the types of guys who have zero utility on offense. Their only job is to be a defensive stopper.

The only guys in the NBA who would I would trust guarding Lebron 1V1 while also having some offensive responsibility are Giannis and Kawhi.

Tatum also did a good job on Lebron last time they played.
    Basketball.

Hall of Famer
    Jaylen brown did a pretty good job that day..lebron did hit a tough jumper to win

But I mean the pels have 0 resistance . He looks like he is prime lebron vs them scoring the ball

There are few people that can guard Lebron, so get yourself a coach who can gameplan accordingly.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Maybe the only solution is to try roids with Ingram lol

(joking)

Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    Maybe the only solution is to try roids with Ingram lol

(joking)
    Im not.

Am I the only one that thinks Ingram did an acceptable job in his 1 v 1 assignments with Lebron last night, other than the bad foul at the end? I think his length at the very least prevented Bron from shooting those post fade-aways.

I actually don't think Bron is that bad of a matchup for Ingram because you're not super worried about foot speed. The matchups that really give Ingram problems are the ones that test him laterally.

That being said, you can tell the physical tole it takes on Ingram when he has to bump with Lebron every possession. It would be really nice to have Kenrich back for the playoff series just to take some of that beating. IMO, the only way we beat the Lakers in the first round is if Kenrich has a hot shooting series. Otherwise, it's our worst possible match-up.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Ingram did an acceptable job in his 1 v 1 assignments with Lebron last night, other than the bad foul at the end? I think his length at the very least prevented Bron from shooting those post fade-aways.

I actually don't think Bron is that bad of a matchup for Ingram because you're not super worried about foot speed. The matchups that really give Ingram problems are the ones that test him laterally.
    Ingram held his own. The problem is this staff thinks Hart is prime Tony Allen.
    SIGN A SF

No one on this team was effective guarding James. Simply as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    No one on this team was effective guarding James. Simply as that.
    Well that gets us absolutely no where. Instead of just punting, we should probably analyze where we were at least somewhat successful.

If Ingram can take one thing away with his length in the fade away jumper, that at least limits Lebron's options. In limiting Lebron's options, the rest of the defense can then be a little bit more confident in their rotations. Against hart and Jrue, since they dont have the beef or the length, Lebron has far too many options, leaving the rest of our defense on their heals.

Not many players in the league are going to be "effective" against Lebron, but we just need to be slightly more effective to turn these losses into wins. The margin is not wide. Our secondary pieces are so much better than theirs that we can make some of that up.

There’s nothing to analyze. Lebron burned Pelicans every single game this season. The Pelicans threw everything at him and it was ineffective.

There’s nothing to analyze. Lebron burned Pelicans every single game this season. The Pelicans threw everything at him and it was ineffective.
    I'm hoping (against hope) that we've got some sort of junk defense (zone?) in our back pocket that we'll break out in the playoffs to steal a game or two.

If you don't want to have a constructive conversation then that's fine, move on.

It's not like we got crushed in either of the last 2 games. One stop here or there and it could've been a win. I'm not saying we can stop him for an entire game by any means, but we're one or two possessions away.

I also think there may be some future strategy to this. We didn't throw a zone at him a single time, but I think that could be utilized in a playoff series. It's possible we didn't want to show them everything prior to our playoff series.

Additionally, he's shooting 35% from 3 on the season, but he's shooting 44% against us (8/16 in the last 2), so there's actually some regression there to look forward to hopefully.

You are being outright silly now. The Pelicans threw everything and the kitchen sink at him. Zion, Holiday, Ingram, Hart, and even Ball and he burned everyone. Played tight and sagged off of him and he burnt the team. Weakside help and trying to force him to the help but nothing worked.

We had no answer for him for all 4 games. You need to look in the mirror and stop the excuses. Lebron had an answer for everything we threw at him.

Where in my comments did I make a single excuse? All I'm saying is if we can get one or two more stops a game we could beat this team once or twice in the series. If you want to be negative, that's your prerogative, but even with godly Lebron these last 2 games, we've still been in it until the very end and its been incredibly fun.

I'm not putting blinders on the fact that we desperately need another wing piece for the future. I'm simply saying that there may be some things we can do here or there to get maybe 1 or 2 more stops. He's not gonna shoot 14/21 every night.

You are being outright silly now. The Pelicans threw everything and the kitchen sink at him. Zion, Holiday, Ingram, Hart, and even Ball and he burned everyone. Played tight and sagged off of him and he burnt the team. Weakside help and trying to force him to the help but nothing worked.

We had no answer for him for all 4 games. You need to look in the mirror and stop the excuses. Lebron had an answer for everything we threw at him.
    The best defense against Lebron is to hope that he isn't terribly engaged in the game. Because he does have a tendency throughout the regular season (and even a few times in the post season) to become somewhat passive in games. Where he becomes almost too much of a facilitator and helps bail out defenses by hanging around the perimeter too much.

Unfortunately, the drama between the Lakers and the Pelicans last season and the off season seems to have lit a fuse in Lebron when he plays us. (Zion's media hype as Lebron's successor probably doesn't help either). He's basically on a seek and destroy mission when he plays our team. And unfortunately when he gets in this mind set he's almost impossible for anyone to stop.

Granted our two starting forwards are both currently not well suited to defend Lebron under even regular circumstances. Ingram not strong enough and Zion's perimeter defense is still fairly clumsy.

The good news is Lebron is 35 and surely at some point all the mileage has to catch up to him. Umm, right?

I like that we didn't double Lebron in these last 2 games. There's a 99% chance that we play Lakers first round, we do not need to give them any footage of defensive schemes yet.

We pretty much just played them straight up and was in it til the end. With Lebron playing like it was a playoff game. We switch it up in the playoffs and I think we have a real chance at knocking them out first round.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 03-02-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Ibaka Ibaka Ibaka

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    Ibaka Ibaka Ibaka
    Ibaka would be. a nice fit at center next to zion

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I would've liked to have seen more Jaxson Hayes and less Etwuan Moore this game :/

If we're going to lose I'd rather kids get some burn instead of watching Jrue miss his clutch FT's (yes I know he had a good game) and Moore taking bad shots and going 1-7 and still losing. Inexcusable.

edit:

wrong thread, but close enough re: minny

Thread Information