Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wing defenders

Hall of Famer

Wing defenders

Its a must the Pels improve the defense on the perimeter

I suggest they go after Rondae Hollis Jefferson in the off season.

Isaac Okoro is somebody worth trading up for

Tyler Bey is also somebody that interest me in the draft

Who else in out there

Would we be interested in taking a flier on Otto Porter in the offseason? He could probably be had for pennies, but he'll be on the final year of his huge deal next year. I feel like it's a low risk high reward because I'd love the fit if he could stay healthy.

A finishing 5 of Ball-Holiday-Ingram-Porter-Zion could be super fun.

If we were to bring in Porter and give Ingram a max, our salary would be $133,620,226 without rookie contracts, Didi, etc., as well as Favors or another big.

However, I wouldn't mind getting off JJ's $13 mil if it meant you could take the chance on Porter. The cap is projected at $115 mil with the luxury tax at $139 mil.

If there’s one negative about Ingram is his inability to guard the premier wings in the league.

Never put Zion at the 5. Always have another big with Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar7th View Post
    Never put Zion at the 5. Always have another big with Zion.
    Why? There are some teams that he matches up well at the 5 in spurts.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Would we be interested in taking a flier on Otto Porter in the offseason? He could probably be had for pennies, but he'll be on the final year of his huge deal next year. I feel like it's a low risk high reward because I'd love the fit if he could stay healthy.

I'm a porter fan, but can he stay on the floor and play is a huge question mark

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    If there’s one negative about Ingram is his inability to guard the premier wings in the league.
    His lack of strength is a problem. It is easy to push him around

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    How many years do we have to watch PJ Tucker and Draymond Green play the 5 before people stop with this

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    I'm a porter fan, but can he stay on the floor and play is a huge question mark
    Yea and this is the risk that you're taking but it's also the reason he'll be available for practically nothing. I think its a medium risk, high reward gamble.

The risk is you'd have to move JJ's contract in order to bring in Otto; but if he plays, the reward is that Porter is a perfect fit as a low usage sharpshooting wing who can eat minutes against players like Lebron and Kawhi defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I know right. We’ve been killing with him at the 5.

As an Otto Porter fan, I approve of this.

His contract is fat and he's definitely overpaid, but just in terms of on-court fit he'd be great. Legitimately talented defender who can shoot, pass a little, and even create a little (only 21% of his 2pt FGs were assisted in his 9 games this year, and it was only 37.4% of them in 50 games last year) although obviously that's not a strength.

The issue is, yeah, the health. Huge risk. But you're right, it's a medium risk high reward venture. Especially since he hits free agency in a year where there's a ton of huge names so it's fairly unlikely that he'll command extremely high value offers for his next deal.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The issue is, yeah, the health. Huge risk. But you're right, it's a medium risk high reward venture. Especially since he hits free agency in a year where there's a ton of huge names so it's fairly unlikely that he'll command extremely high value offers for his next deal.
    This is why its such a luxury to have a top tier medical staff at our disposal. We could bring in Porter and have data on him for a full season, then give Aaron Nelson the final say as to whether Porter can actually stay healthy. I'd say its a great match for Porter as well, given both the scheme and Nelson.

Need help guarding the 3's and 4's? Cunningham's available.

This is why its such a luxury to have a top tier medical staff at our disposal. We could bring in Porter and have data on him for a full season, then give Aaron Nelson the final say as to whether Porter can actually stay healthy. I'd say its a great match for Porter as well, given both the scheme and Nelson.
    It helps that he's relatively young as well. 26, if I remember correctly, so the next contract could very conceivably take him completely through his prime and end just before the expected drop-off age. Kind of convenient.

But I agree, I think that at some point if you have trust in Aaron Nelson and the training staff, it's probably a good idea to try and take on a salvage project in terms of health that, if it pays off, could have huge benefits.

Another player for the Pels to consider this off season, in a similar vein as Otto Porter, is Kelly Oubre Jr. I'm not sure how much it would take to pry Oubre away from the Suns, but there were rumors at the deadline that he had been made available. Would we be willing to give up a protected 1st for a one year rental?

For Oubre, he costs about $14 million, which is significantly less than Porter makes. He's not quite the shooter that Porter is, but he has a better all around game than Porter and hes a legitimate defender at this point in his career, with the tools to potentially be elite.

I still think Porter is a better fit because of his ability to knock down the open 3, but Oubre comes at less of a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I thought of him too he played some great D against Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    When is the last day you can bring in 10 day contracts?
    Be nice to add him if the Pels make the playoffs.

I can't believe we live in a world where people are legitimately thinking about bringing back Dante Cunningham of all people.

We need another big on the cheap for remainder of year that maybe stays next year. G league forward Yante Maten could be that guy. His scoring is inside like Zion, and he boards well.

Hall of Famer
    The light bulb shined again tonight

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I can't believe we live in a world where people are legitimately thinking about bringing back Dante Cunningham of all people.
    Few actually know what the hell they're talking about. We're all fans. Most of us are just saying crap to say it.

He’s Lebron, he is a demigod. Nobody is defending him by themselves unless they are Scottie Pippen or something. What you need (to have a better chance at stopping him) is a better game plan than defending everyone else and forcing Lebron to beat you, because for the better part of two decades Lebron has been doing just that.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    He’s Lebron, he is a demigod. Nobody is defending him by themselves unless they are Scottie Pippen or something. What you need (to have a better chance at stopping him) is a better game plan than defending everyone else and forcing Lebron to beat you, because for the better part of two decades Lebron has been doing just that.
    Thatsbtrue but this team doesnt have 1 person that I feel comfortable playing on him

Free agency needs a fix

No, that’s the thing, there isn’t anyone in the NBA right now (or in the near future) who can defend Lebron, so you need a better gameplan.

Thread Information