Pelicans Report

Thread: Who are we building our future with?

Who are we building our future with?

Thinking of last nights game we came away with a better idea of who we can build around. We are so young that games like last nights will tilt to us once our guys grow together. So looking at the roster I see the following guys as just keeps for the next 3-5 years

Zion- Obviously
    BI- Obviously
    Zo- He is getting better as he and Zion gel
    Melli- you are seeing his value now
    Hart- Starting it off the bench, he is a keeper
    Jrue- He will be older, but he is someone to keep

Hayes/Frank/NAW I could go either way right now. Give them another year here, and then make up your mind.

JJ/Favors/Moore they can go.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I like everything we have right now. It was the first time in forever that I didnt want to make a trade. This team is a playoff team with a healthy Zion. We would be a 5th or 6th seed if not for that losing streak earlier in the season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Zion, BI, Zo, Hart are the core.

Jrue will be difficult, because you don't know if he's gonna want another pay day.

Melli will be good for a couple more years, but he is older so his NBA lifespan is short.

Hayes definitely has potential to be something big, but he's so young and so raw, so the jury is still out.

Frank is talented as hell and think he should play more.

NAW showed he can take over games in the preseason and Summer League. But he fell off once Opening Day hit. Showed potential in some games. Jury's still out.

JJ is good for at most two more years.

I like Favors, but it could be hard to retain him.

Always been an E'Twaun stan. But his time here is coming to a close unfortunately.

There was someone at last night's game that could be the third piece to our Big Three...our trinity of basketball gods in New Orleans. With Zion and BI (probably) in the folds for the next three to six years, we need that third wheel.

Don't hold your nose....don't sigh....don't spit out your coffee, but Boogie could be the answer until (if) Hayes matures. Sure he's damaged goods, but if healthy, what a foil Cousins could be for both Zion and BI (Jrue and Lonzo for that matter too).

Would he give us rebounding that we sorely needed against elite teams?
    Would he stretch the floor to give Zion and BI room to operate in the paint?
    Would he be a 'go-to' option offensively?
    Can he bang and play defense?

Most importantly....

Can we get him at a price?

A one and one contract (club option) for 7MM might get him here close to his Alabama home.

Sure it's a long shot, but anything we might draft next year at 15 - 20 would probably be a bigger risk....Okafor , Miller, and Moore $$$$'s will probably be saved. And the jury is out on Favors $$$$'s.

The biggest downside (again, if he's deemed healthy) is his attitude. I think he's been humbled a tad, but it can be a risk.

Just think for second, here's your potential starting five.: Lonzo, Jrue, BI, Zion, and Boogie.

Then, Melli, Hart, Hayes, Frank, DiDi, NAW, and next year's #1 would come off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I like Favors, but it could be hard to retain him.
    With the limited cap room available, I am not so sure it will be that hard. As long as we offer him more than the MLE, it will limit the number of teams that could sign him (and most of those are bad teams that he may not have much interest in unless they significantly overpay).

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    There was someone at last night's game that could be the third piece to our Big Three...our trinity of basketball gods in New Orleans. With Zion and BI (probably) in the folds for the next three to six years, we need that third wheel.

Don't hold your nose....don't sigh....don't spit out your coffee, but Boogie could be the answer until (if) Hayes matures. Sure he's damaged goods, but if healthy, what a foil Cousins could be for both Zion and BI (Jrue and Lonzo for that matter too).

Would he give us rebounding that we sorely needed against elite teams?
    Would he stretch the floor to give Zion and BI room to operate in the paint?
    Would he be a 'go-to' option offensively?
    Can he bang and play defense?

Most importantly....

Can we get him at a price?

A one and one contract (club option) for 7MM might get him here close to his Alabama home.

Sure it's a long shot, but anything we might draft next year at 15 - 20 would probably be a bigger risk....Okafor , Miller, and Moore $$$$'s will probably be saved. And the jury is out on Favors $$$$'s.

The biggest downside (again, if he's deemed healthy) is his attitude. I think he's been humbled a tad, but it can be a risk.

Just think for second, here's your potential starting five.: Lonzo, Jrue, BI, Zion, and Boogie.

Then, Melli, Hart, Hayes, Frank, DiDi, NAW, and next year's #1 would come off the bench.
    Come on, there is no way Boogie makes any sense whatsoever for this team. Without even addressing the significant injuries he has had and his age, would you want to bring that guy into a locker room of younger players like we have? That would be a disaster. Not to mention, he has no interest or ability in playing uptempo. He has shown with us previously and the Warriors for the short time he played, that he is not running up and down the court for any significant amount of time.

I am going long in Melli. I don’t care who our starting center is, he can stay with this team as long as he wants to play here. Also, he is 29, but he doesn’t have as much tread on his tires as most 29 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I am going long in Melli. I don’t care who our starting center is, he can stay with this team as long as he wants to play here. Also, he is 29, but he doesn’t have as much tread on his tires as most 29 year olds.
    Depends what you mean by tread. Obviously the Euro league a shorter season, but Melli's been in the post-season basically every year while over there, and he started playing professionally over a decade ago.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Depends what you mean by tread. Obviously the Euro league a shorter season, but Melli's been in the post-season basically every year while over there, and he started playing professionally over a decade ago.
    Still less tread on his tires than fellow 29 year olds Jrue, Dame, Draymond, Kemba, and Paul George, and nobody is rushing those guys out of town. You can roll with Melli for another 4-5 years, and you will get the same production.

Thread Information