Pelicans Report

Thread: Christian Wood

Christian Wood

Is anybody else watching this kid and thinking WTF?

The talent has always been there. He just wasn't going to get any playing time with the Pels had we kept him. It's great that he made the most of the opportunity he got in Detroit, and will likely get himself a good payday. It's a shame that he's doing it on another team, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

This is like the least surprising ******** ever dude had a bunch of talent.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Dude’s ballin. Good for him.

He is also a good fit next to Zion...such a waste that we had to cut him...

Quote Originally Posted by Dago75 View Post
    Is anybody else watching this kid and thinking WTF?
    He's the guy I wanted to keep over Darrius Miller.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I'm upset we cut him, because he would have fit in with this team seamlessly. I was so excited for his future with the Pels. But I guess Griff wanted Melli more. Both sides are benefitting, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    He's the guy I wanted to keep over Darrius Miller.
    No man Miller gonna be the bomb when he returns.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    No man Miller gonna be the bomb when he returns.
    Let's see...…

Christian Wood: 6'10", 24 yo, can play 4 or 5.

Darius Miller: 6'8", 30 yo, can play the 3.

They say there are two things you can't coach into reality: speed and height. Wood has both; Darius has neither.

Let's see...…

Christian Wood: 6'10", 24 yo, can play 4 or 5.

Darius Miller: 6'8", 30 yo, can play the 3.

They say there are two things you can't coach into reality: speed and height. Wood has both; Darius has neither.
    It was never a question of Miller or Wood.
    It was always Okafor or Wood.
    Miller was already signed and then he got injured.

Wood wanted minutes. How does cutting Miller get him more minutes if Miller is a 3?
    Wood would still need to compete against Favors, Hayes, Okafor, Zion and Melli.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    It was never a question of Miller or Wood.
    It was always Okafor or Wood.
    Miller was already signed and then he got injured.

Wood wanted minutes. How does cutting Miller get him more minutes if Miller is a 3?
    Wood would still need to compete against Favors, Hayes, Okafor, Zion and Melli.
    This is what's important to recognise.

You can't have a team with like, 4+ centres on it, all expecting minutes. We already had a bunch of size, whereas we only had 1 other SF (Ingram) coming into the year. It's a no-brainer that you let go of one of the bigs that you cannot find minutes for, and keep the forward that fills a slot you desperately need filling.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is what's important to recognise.

You can't have a team with like, 4+ centres on it, all expecting minutes. We already had a bunch of size, whereas we only had 1 other SF (Ingram) coming into the year. It's a no-brainer that you let go of one of the bigs that you cannot find minutes for, and keep the forward that fills a slot you desperately need filling.
    All the 'centres' are 4 / 5 players except for Okafor (JAX as I said way back should be in Erie playing. This will come back and bite us and him next year). The team has a glut of 1's, 2's, and 3's. Where was miller going to get his minutes had he not blown out his Achilles?

He would have been much more valuable early in the season than he would have now. He was so good at running the floor and we were desperate for a transition outlet like him to start the season. I’m not so sure he’d be necessary at all now as much as I love me some Chris Wood. Still would be awesome to have a big like him come on with the suns and wreak havoc in transition.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    He would have been much more valuable early in the season than he would have now. He was so good at running the floor and we were desperate for a transition outlet like him to start the season. I’m not so sure he’d be necessary at all now as much as I love me some Chris Wood. Still would be awesome to have a big like him come on with the suns and wreak havoc in transition.
    So, at the very least, it's probably safe to say that, even today, Wood would be more valuable to the CURRENT team than either JAX or Okafor; would it not? Meanwhile even a healthy Miller would mean what to us today? Nothing against Miller, but I don't see much value added by having him on the team.

So, at the very least, it's probably safe to say that, even today, Wood would be more valuable to the CURRENT team than either JAX or Okafor; would it not? Meanwhile even a healthy Miller would mean what to us today? Nothing against Miller, but I don't see much value added by having him on the team.
    I just don’t think it’s make or break. I know a lot of people aren’t crazy about Hustle, but he is valuable when he isn’t forced to be a starter like he was early on. I’d like to see him with this new slew of healthy players before I decide wether we made the right decision.

It wasn't Wood vs Okafor. Wood needed more minutes than that...so.....

Favors, Hayes, Zion, Wood, Melli. You get to keep four. Who are you keeping?

Maybe you make the argument of Wood over Melli but in reality, Wood may have wanted even more minutes than that even. It could have been like choosing two out of Favors, Zion, and Wood.

Either way, it's great to see him succeeding.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 02-25-2020 at 05:19 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Overall from the beginning, it was just a bad move to release Wood. He is young, fit the timeline of the other players, and showed promise in a limited run with the team. With Hayes being a rookie, there was a role for him here at least for this year to evaluate his fit.

Thread Information