Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 25th February - New Orleans Pelicans @ Los Angeles Lakers - 25-32

Pelicans 25th February - New Orleans Pelicans @ Los Angeles Lakers - 25-32

After a good win against Golden State, brought on by a massive second half from Jrue, Melli, and Zion, we are continuing our road-trip by stopping off in Los Angeles, to play against the Lakers.

TIP OFF IS CURRENTLY SCHEDULED FOR 9PM CST

Here's the injury report:

No changes from last game.

We're taking on the Lakers, as we all know. We've lost to them twice this year: once at home, by 4 points, and once on the road by 10. That is to say; we've actually played them pretty decently overall despite losing, and this time we have Zion. I feel like it's time for a win against Los Angeles, and there's no time like the present so why not now? Remember, if we make the playoffs, LA is our likely first round matchup; winning this @ Staples would send a message.

Lakers are currently 43-12. They're 4th in ORTG, 3rd in DRTG. 1st in blocks, 5th in steals, 6th in assists, 7th in rebounds. 1st in FG%, 14th in 3pt%, 29th in FT%. Lebron is averaging 25/8/11, and AD is averaging 27/10/3. Kyle Kuzma is also there, just having fun.

It is notable that, at 84.3%, AD is the Lakers best FT shooter. Only KCP and Avery Bradley hit 80% other than him; Lebron, Rondo, Dwight, Danny Green, and Kuzma all shoot sub 75% from the stripe. That is, it's okay to make them earn it at the stripe because they aren't good at it. They are one of the few teams worse than us from the FT line.

There's no doubt it will be tough to pull out a win. They're a good team. They're not the favourites, but it wouldn't even be a shock if they won a ring this year. But I think we can do it as long as we avoid having a dud half like we did against Golden State. Show up like we did in our first game against LA but with Zion on top, and this will be a great win.

#WBD
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 02-25-2020 at 11:02 AM.
    Basketball.

We play the Lakers...not Clippers

It's going to be even harder beating them right after KobeFest. Like having to play a team after a ring ceremony.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Interested to see the matchup of AD and Zion in the paint. If I'm being realistic, I can see this going similarly to the Giannis/Lopez matchup. AD is obviously a great defender but I think he is going to get the benefit of a lot of allowed contact under the basket.

Not sure what we can do to stop AD offensively, though. I guess just hope to keep him under 40 this time.

This would be a HUGE win for the Pels ...

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    We play the Lakers...not Clippers
    Yeah I know, I got it right in the title and everywhere else. Just messed up on one sentence cause I was thinking about the Memphis game that just ended. Fixed it now tho

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    This would be a HUGE win for the Pels ...
    Every game is huge at the point. We win this game and people better start getting worried. You might see people drop games trying to get out of the one seed lol.

This almost feels like a playoff game for me.

We are playing well. The lakers are playing wel.

Zions first game in LA.

AD has cooked us every game. Time for some revenge!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    God. I want to put a beating on these dudes so badly. LGP

This is going to be an interesting game and hopefully it ends with us winning. Will the lakers length give Zion some problems.. who defends Lebron.. who can slow down AD...

Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post
    Interested to see the matchup of AD and Zion in the paint. If I'm being realistic, I can see this going similarly to the Giannis/Lopez matchup. AD is obviously a great defender but I think he is going to get the benefit of a lot of allowed contact under the basket.

Not sure what we can do to stop AD offensively, though. I guess just hope to keep him under 40 this time.
    I honestly don't think it will be quite as bad as that.

The Bucks game, Zion's prime defender was Giannis and when he got into the paint he was doubled by Lopez. Both Giannis and Lopez are in strong arguments for First Team All-Defense this year. The Bucks overall have the strongest interior defense in the NBA by a huge margin.

Lakers have some good rim protectors, sure, but some of them fall very much into the ''too slow'' category (thinking Dwight here) and they don't play with such a collapsing defensive scheme.

Lakers are actually 5th in at-rim scoring differential; Milwaukee, who lead the league, hold opposing teams to 9.7% less than their average at the hoop; the Lakers, only 2.1%. For comparison, Portland holds opponents to 3.3% less than their averages (joint 2nd with Raptors) and Zion has spent multiple games putting Whiteside in the garbage.

Now, the Lakers could decide to just sell out their usual scheme and completely ram the paint on some sort of ''anyone but Zion'' tactic, but if they do that we have Melli who has been the best 3pt shooter among all players who have taken at least 50 since the New Year, at 49.3% on 3.7 3PAs per game. Then we hope that Ingram and Ball are having decent shooting nights, Redick is due a bounce back, and hell, even Jrue has shot 39% from 3 over the last 14 games! If our guys shoot even reasonably in line with their recent numbers, then the Lakers leaving the perimeter wide open could be disastrous for them.

Also, just looking at Jrue's statlines over the last little while.

Jrue the last 5 games:

@ Indiana: 31 points, 10 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 steals. 45.5% shooting, 4/7 from 3.
    V Portland: 16 points, 10 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks. 58.3% shooting, 1/4 from 3.
    V OKC: 14 points, 11 assists, 6 rebounds. 46.2% shooting, 1/3 from 3.
    @ Portland: 20 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 4 steals. 50% shooting, 4/6 from 3.
    @ Warriors: 23 points, 15 assists, 7 rebounds, 1 block. 58.8% shooting, 3/7 from 3.

That's averaging 20.8 points, 11 assists, 5 rebounds, 1.8 steals on 51.4% shooting and 48.1% from 3 (5.4 attempts per game). During this span, we're 4-1.

Jrue's on one at the minute

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    This is going to be an interesting game and hopefully it ends with us winning. Will the lakers length give Zion some problems.. who defends Lebron.. who can slow down AD...
    It's not Length! It's which body owns the length ! Zion blew right through Stwphen Adams & Whiteside!

Cousins a coach now?

Generally... When I want this team to beat the brakes off a team badly... They don't.

Please make sure Alvin is wearing his glasses tonight. The guy can coach when he can see - his record proves it.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Please make sure Alvin is wearing his glasses tonight. The guy can coach when he can see - his record proves it.
    Agree.

Update: Not wearing glasses. Looks tired. He possibly was celebrating Mardi Gras in his hotel room.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Who the hell is Jay Vincent?

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Who the hell is Jay Vincent?
    He was an NBA player, drafted in 1981, who only played 9 seasons. Spent his first 5 years in Dallas. Only really had one good season, which was his rookie year, where he averaged 21/7/2 on 49% shooting. His best season after that was probably in 84/85 when he averaged 18/9/2 on 47% shooting.

Never made an all-NBA team, all-defensive team, or all-star team. Career total of 27 winshares; Lebron had that many by halfway through his 3rd year lol.

This is like the longest.....dullest....4th quarter I've ever seen.

Yay. More commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Update: Not wearing glasses. Looks tired. He possibly was celebrating Mardi Gras in his hotel room.

Plenty of time to get everything under control...including finding a pair of glasses. Swipe that pair off of Joel Myers.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    This is like the longest.....dullest....4th quarter I've ever seen.

Yay. More commercials.
    Drake at the game in case you did not know. Lol

Thread Information