Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 21st February - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 23-32

Pelicans 21st February - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 23-32

And after a long long all-star break, we emerge to play our first game of the final stretch on this, my birthday. Today we take on the Portland Trailblazers, who are 25-31 right now and therefore slightly better than us. That said, we are currently 3-0 against the Blazers this year, and (for the second time this season when facing us) Damian Lillard is not going to be playing. So obviously this is a chance for a statement road win.

Especially important for our playoff realities, Memphis lost to the Kings yesterday and face a difficult upcoming stretch, where they face the Lakers and Clippers and Houston all in a row, all on the road. It's not impossible to imagine them losing all 3 of those games to create a 4 game losing streak; at the same time, we have Portland, Golden State, and Cleveland within our next 4 games. It's not unrealistic to expect us to go 3-1 over our next 4 games (maybe dropping the one to Lakers). That would close the gap between us considerably, as today we are only 5 games back.

There's the injury report. As you can see, we seem to be clear: Ingram is back, Zion is still a-go, and everything should be okay. Full strength, or close enough to it.

Because we've played Portland relatively recently, and because Lillard is out so the stats about Portland aren't really representative, I figured that rather than going over their stats for this game, I'd just check in and see where we are after all-star break. What are the Pelicans doing, at this point?

Well, we're 16th in ORtg, and 22nd in DRtg. This is an improvement; we've been as low as 28th defensively this season, and there have been times we've been at around 20 in offense. Still, it's not incredible, and we'll need to see that defense keep creeping up if we're going to make the run we want to make.

We are 17th in FG%, 4th in 3PT%, and 27th in FT%. We do take the most FGAs in the NBA, at 91.9 per game, so that boosts us up despite the overall mediocre efficiency, but still; that FT percentage was going to be a killer all year, and there are definitely a couple of games this season we've lost at the line.

We're 5th in total rebounds per game, 5th in assists, 10th in blocks, 15th in steals. All of this is very good. The downside is this: we average the 3rd most turnovers in the league, and 13th in fouls per game; that is, we tend to hurt ourselves. Part of that simply comes with pace, as we have the 2nd fastest pace in the league, but at the same time we all know that some of it just comes from mistakes.

That's where we are today though, with fewer than 30 games left to play; the final gauntlet is at hand. Take a win tonight, get some momentum going, and clean up as the season ends. Playoffs is a bonus but what I really care about is seeing some cohesion over this last leg.

#WBD
    Basketball.

Hall of Famer
    Happy birthday to me

I needed this.

And happy bday!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I needed this.

And happy bday!
    Thank you!

Need this win. This is one of the games we usually mess up. Dame out, no reason to struggle but if we get into a drag out game it would be funny as hell.

Poor CJ McCollum knows Jrue is blanking him all game with Dame out.

Let’s not be overconfident

Lillard ducking

Regardless of how much you like or dislike Gentry, you cannot deny that this is a peak Gentry answer.

''It'll just happen naturally'' is his framework for 85% of our offense. How will it happen? It just will.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's worked with them. He's not doing nothing. He just doesn't care to explain to us plebeians what's going on.

Probably. That's what's happening.

Edit: And Pelicanidae, one thing that would help just at a glance is if you could put the CST tip time for each game. It's a small thing, but it's a convenience request.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Edit: And Pelicanidae, one thing that would help just at a glance is if you could put the CST tip time for each game. It's a small thing, but it's a convenience request.
    Sure, I should be able to do that without a problem :P

Let's get this W guys!

Absolutely ready to see Zion back in action.

Honestly, Zion should just devour this Blazers lineup. We've seen him scorch Whiteside, Ariza, and Melo before.

Just as a reminder, last time we played the Blazers, Ingram was out and we won 138-117. They still had Lillard then; they don't now.

Zion had 31/9/5 on 59% shooting in 27 minutes.

Oh for God's sake, Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy.

Zion is 2/2 and has drawn a foul again.

He has 6 points, 1 rebound, and 1 assist in the first 3 minutes. So I guess he's okay.

Zion late on that to Melo there. Can't give that up too early.

Jrue just hit a nasty stepback and they called it out of bounds. Dammit

Not a fan of Ingram getting the ball and dribbling it up 70 feet and then immediately iso-ing, not a single pass, and taking a contested long 2. Just lame offense.

Wow we are really knocking them down tonight!

Ingram comes up the court, again not a single pass, and takes an off the dribble 3. Bricks it. He gets FTs but that's only because the defender messed up; the decision itself was poor. He knows he's not an off the bounce shooter.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Zion just tried to jump his first passing lane. I like that. I like that a lot.

Thread Information