Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 21st February - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 23-32

Great Win guys!

21st February - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 23-32

Jrue knew his role and played it well. Melli and Hart were solid off the bench. Everyone picked up the slack when our best scorer was down in the second half. 35 assists! Not only that but they were really fun to watch!

This was a game they should use as momentum to try and match every night forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are now 7-5 since Zion debuted.

Have gone 4-1 in our last 5 games, including victories on the road in Indiana and Portland.

Two nights ago, we were 5.5 games behind the 8th seed. After tonight, we are 4 games behind; 1.5 games gained in one night, due to us winning and Memphis losing.

Zion now has 246 points on 93/161 shooting; that's 22.4 points per game on 57.7%FG.

246 points on 161 shots is equivalent to 1.53 points per shot. Other stars this season:

James Harden: 1829 points on 1199 shots: 1.53 points per shot
    Lebron James: 1274 on 998 shots: 1.28 points per shot
    Anthony Davis: 1225 points on 825 shots: 1.48 points per shot
    Giannis: 1471 points on 986 shots: 1.49 points per shot
    Damian Lillard:1594 points on 1102 shots: 1.45 points per shot
    Luka Doncic: 1271 points on 898 shots: 1.42 points per shot

Now that's pretty impressive, especially when you consider that Zion doesn't shoot 3s all that much, and is a mediocre FT shooter. That tells you the efficiency of these buckets at the rim. Obviously small sample size: he's taken less than 1/5th of the shots of these guys, sometimes even less than that.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We are now 7-5 since Zion debuted.

Have gone 4-1 in our last 5 games, including victories on the road in Indiana and Portland.

Two nights ago, we were 5.5 games behind the 8th seed. After tonight, we are 4 games behind; 1.5 games gained in one night, due to us winning and Memphis losing.

Zion now has 246 points on 93/161 shooting; that's 22.4 points per game on 57.7%FG.

246 points on 161 shots is equivalent to 1.53 points per shot. Other stars this season:

James Harden: 1829 points on 1199 shots: 1.53 points per shot
    Lebron James: 1274 on 998 shots: 1.28 points per shot
    Anthony Davis: 1225 points on 825 shots: 1.48 points per shot
    Giannis: 1471 points on 986 shots: 1.49 points per shot
    Damian Lillard:1594 points on 1102 shots: 1.45 points per shot
    Luka Doncic: 1271 points on 898 shots: 1.42 points per shot

Now that's pretty impressive, especially when you consider that Zion doesn't shoot 3s all that much, and is a mediocre FT shooter. That tells you the efficiency of these buckets at the rim. Obviously small sample size: he's taken less than 1/5th of the shots of these guys, sometimes even less than that.
    But where is Zion on the Baynes scale?

Here's the tweet I was talking about just for reference (obviously not trying to convince you or anything, you already said you agree, just wanted to clarify my own point).

Ingram was never a lock defender besides misleading bix scores. His lack of size, motor, and our team philosophy was never gonna bring out a better defensive player in him.

I'd be more worried if he hits 25 and still hasn't made that leap before calling him Weedplate Wiggins+

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    before calling him Weedplate Wiggins+

That's why Tatum is better, he's being mentioned as an all defense candidate

Good game. Sure they didnt have Lillard but the refs definitely favored Portland tonight to make up for some of the loss.
    Pels did what they needed to...despite Portland getting close a couple tines, it never felt like they truly threatened.
    The great thing is that the Pels still have a lot of room to get better...likely more than amy other team.

Just your weekly PSA reminding the Ex-Laker Player Haters thay Brandon Ingram is only 22. Lol

The defense will improve.

The lengths we'll go to...eh...
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

The Franchise
    No one said he was a lock down defender.. I said he was able to play exceptional on-ball perimeter defense on 1s, 2s, and 3s, while with the Lakers. And I strongly disagree, good coaching can help with lack luster off-ball defense.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Just your weekly PSA reminding the Ex-Laker Player Haters thay Brandon Ingram is only 22. Lol

The defense will improve.

The lengths we'll go to...eh...
    Right, they act like he's a finished product at 22..

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    No one said he was a lock down defender.. I said he was able to play exceptional on-ball perimeter defense on 1s, 2s, and 3s, while with the Lakers. And I strongly disagree, good coaching can help with lack luster off-ball defense.
    Durant wasn't a great defender early in his career, yet he has become a good, sometimes great defender. I think BI's defensive trajectory will mimic Durant's. I haven't followed this entire thread, but when we mention BI's game last night, let's not overlook a couple of spectacular assists to Zion. If they are a sign of things to come, then watch out!!

I've said it before...it's hard not to love this team.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

When Jrue plays more assertive like he did last night it shows up big time. He and Ingram had some excellent plays (I particularly remember the Ingram dish with his back to the basket to Zion). No reason why they can’t coexist IF Jrue can show a bit of consistency. Not really impressed with the Blazers at all this season like some are (they just aren’t a very good side atm), but we won convincingly again. We need to keep that momentum going. For the love of god don’t drop one to Golden State of all teams.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Durant wasn't a great defender early in his career, yet he has become a good, sometimes great defender. I think BI's defensive trajectory will mimic Durant's. I haven't followed this entire thread, but when we mention BI's game last night, let's not overlook a couple of spectacular assists to Zion. If they are a sign of things to come, then watch out!!
    I honestly don't see how they're comparable. Durant ridiculous length, much better instinct off ball, and his ability to stick to defenders is way out of Ingram's ability, unfortunately.

Setting up way too high of expectations. His ceiling is just passable at the moment. Like he can get by if he has an off night passable, but more often than not. We sink if BI is having a really bad shooting night.

I really don't have any comparable player that can be indicative to his defensive ceiling at the moment.
    Last edited by Taker597; 02-22-2020 at 10:55 AM.

I honestly don't see how they're comparable. Durant ridiculous length, much better instinct off ball, and his ability to stick to defenders is way out of Ingram's ability, unfortunately.

Setting up way too high of expectations. His ceiling is just passable at the moment. Like he can get by if he has an off night passable, but more often than not. We sink if BI is having a really bad shooting night.

I really don't have any comparable player that can be indicative to his defensive ceiling at the moment.
    They're not comparable. People like to compare them because they're both long and skinny and shoot well from the midrange.

You're right when you say Durant was far better defensively, and Durant was also a far bigger threat outside of the arc because unlike Ingram he was fully capable of creating his own shot off the dribble from 3.

Maybe Ingram gains that ability in time, perfectly possible, but as of right now he doesn't have it and Durant did from almost the moment he entered the league. The impact that ability has on an opposing defense can't be understated.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    But where is Zion on the Baynes scale?
    246 points for Zion, 2693 for Baynes; 0.0913 Baynes

Durant was not a good defender the first few years of his career

And, I wasn't comparing their offensive games

They're not comparable. People like to compare them because they're both long and skinny and shoot well from the midrange.

You're right when you say Durant was far better defensively, and Durant was also a far bigger threat outside of the arc because unlike Ingram he was fully capable of creating his own shot off the dribble from 3.

Maybe Ingram gains that ability in time, perfectly possible, but as of right now he doesn't have it and Durant did from almost the moment he entered the league. The impact that ability has on an opposing defense can't be understated.
    OMG man STOP IT. You are doing the same crap you did all summer.

There is nothing about Ingram's game to suggest he cant do this or that. I told you over the summer his shot mechanics suggests he can and would become a very good 3 point shooter, yet you come with all the historical stats for skepticism.

One of Ingram's strength's is ball handling. At this point in his career he is ahead of Durant in that category. Again, there is NO REASON to believe he can't improve his off the dribble shot %. None whatsoever.

He is a long and willing defender. There is NO REASON to believe he wont get better in on or off ball defense. All the of mechanics, bbal iq, and physical tools--especially once he adds weight--are there.

Durant was not always very good at creating his own shot off the dribble either. MANY times early in his career any attempt at driving the lane or shaking his defender with the dribble resulted in a turnover or missed shot.

Just stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

There is nothing about Ingram's game to suggest he cant do this or that. I told you over the summer his shot mechanics suggests he can and would become a very good 3 point shooter, yet you come with all the historical stats for skepticism.

One of Ingram's strength's is ball handling. At this point in his career he is ahead of Durant in that category. Again, there is NO REASON to believe he can't improve his off the dribble shot %. None whatsoever.

He is a long and willing defender. There is NO REASON to believe he wont get better in on or off ball defense. All the of mechanics, bbal iq, and physical tools--especially once he adds weight--are there.

Durant was not always very good at creating his own shot off the dribble either. MANY times early in his career any attempt at driving the lane or shaking his defender with the dribble resulted in a turnover or missed shot.

Just stop it.
    Okay.

Please, if it distresses you so much to read someone disagreeing with you, just mute me. For the sake of your own blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Just stop it.
    For a guy who is totally enamored with an unproven JAX, he certainly sees very little upside from BI, huh? Each is still a pup...each has physical skills that astound...each is skinny as a rail...but one is accepted as an All Star while the other treads water...especially defensively. One is a major contributor on his team and the other has seen his playing time dwindle massively over the last six weeks as his team improves. He's certainly a curious read isn't he?
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-22-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    For a guy who is totally enamored with the totally unproven JAX, he certainly sees very little upside from BI, does he? Each is still a pup...each has physical skills that astound...each is skinny as a rail...but one is accepted as an star while the other treads water...especially defensively. One is a major contributor on his team and the other has seen his playing time dwindle massively over the last six weeks. He's certainly a curious read isn't he?
    The concerns about BI defense are legitimate just like Zion allowing 80% as the primary rim protecter.

We don't focus on defense. So, it's easy to see where Gentry isn't gonna get him to that next level if we stick with this system.

Yet, Kevin Durant before his injury was playing close to elite defense and having an historic playoff run. He was the arguable Best Player in the world in the past two years.

I think any comparison between Durant and BI is delusional hype. Especially, this has been his only consistently good year.

The Franchise
    Okay.

Please, if it distresses you so much to read someone disagreeing with you, just mute me. For the sake of your own blood pressure.
    You're going to have to start doing better than "mute me" anytime someone finds your commentary silly. You clearly have a bias and blind spot when it comes to Ingram.

I think it's great that other posters are providing some push back against the narrative you push in regards to Ingram. As long as it's done respectfully I hope it continues. I hope no one mutes you, we need to see what you say and provide unbiased rebuttals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    You're going to have to start doing better than "mute me" anytime someone finds your commentary silly. You clearly have a bias and blind spot when it comes to Ingram.

I think it's great that other posters are providing some push back against the narrative you push in regards to Ingram. As long as it's done respectfully I hope it continues. I hope no one mutes you, we need to see what you say and provide unbiased rebuttals.
    Comments like this are one of the reasons I like this forum so much

The concerns about BI defense are legitimate just like Zion allowing 80% as the primary rim protecter.

We don't focus on defense. So, it's easy to see where Gentry isn't gonna get him to that next level if we stick with this system.

Yet, Kevin Durant before his injury was playing close to elite defense and having an historic playoff run. He was the arguable Best Player in the world in the past two years.

I think any comparison between Durant and BI is delusional hype. Especially, this has been his only consistently good year.
    KD was 30 when he hurt himself, no one is comparing that KD to current day Ingram.

Thread Information