Jrue
    Basketball.

Easiest schedule. Better not lose

The Franchise
    And 4 turnovers from Zo as well.. smh

Awful turnover from Lonzo there, what the hell was that? Jeez

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's a big issue for sure. The guys who run bball index were posting about Ingram's defense the other day and man... some of his defensive metrics are just so bad. You've got to imagine that his tendency to foul is part of that.
    Yea I won't be defending his defense, I hate it..

Not this Sunday but next Sunday Potato Chip returns to the SKC

Alvin seems to coach better with glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Yea I won't be defending his defense, I hate it..
    Here's the tweet I was talking about just for reference (obviously not trying to convince you or anything, you already said you agree, just wanted to clarify my own point).

I get that we were up and the game wasn't in question but I gotta say, I am surprised we just straight up sat Zion for the final 5 minutes.

The Franchise
    Here's the tweet I was talking about just for reference (obviously not trying to convince you or anything, you already said you agree, just wanted to clarify my own point).

He's getting a max regardless, but based on what I've seen of him while he was with the Lakers, he at least played well on ball. Off ball he's never been good.

I see this as a coaching issue partly. He's way too far off of his man in help position. So far off at times that he actually loses his man and ends up guarding no one. If I'm his coach I fix this.

Final Game Stats
    Game won 128-115

Zion: 25 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists. 10/17 shooting (58.8%). 0 turnovers, 1 foul
    Ingram: 16 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists. 5/8 shooting (62.5%), 3/4 from 3. 4 turnovers, 4 fouls
    Jrue: 20 points, 2 rebounds, 9 assists, 4 steals. 5/10 shooting (50%), 4/6 from 3. 4 turnovers, 4 fouls
    Favors: 8 points, 12 rebounds, 1 assist. 4/8 shooting. 0 turnovers, 2 fouls.
    Lonzo: 15 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists. 6/11 shooting (54.5%), 3/5 from 3. 4 turnovers, 1 foul.

Bench

Redick: 9/1/2 on 4/9 shooting. 25% from 3.
    Hart: 13 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists. 4/4 from the field. 2 fouls, 2 turnovers.
    Melli: 13/5/2 on 5/11 shooting. Was 3/8 from 3. 1 turnover, 4 fouls.
    Hayes: 4 points 1 rebound on 1/2 shooting in 6 minutes.

He's getting a max regardless, but based on what I've seen of him while he was with the Lakers, he at least played well on ball. Off ball he's never been good.

I see this is a coaching issue partly. He's way too far off of his man in help position. So far off at times that he actually loses his man and ends up guarding no one. If I'm his coach I fix this.
    Sure, I wasn't talking about the contract part. Just the numbers about the defense.

Some of it is coaching, but some of it is also just recognition. He doesn't have naturally great defensive feel, and his body type is not great for defense anyway; long legs, relatively heavy feet, fairly high centre of mass, and not much core strength means he's easily moved, can't navigate screens efficiently, and has a high balance that's easy to tip.

He can improve for sure, but I have real doubts that he's ever a ''great'' defender, for those reasons.

I get that we were up and the game wasn't in question but I gotta say, I am surprised we just straight up sat Zion for the final 5 minutes.
    He played 29+ minutes. His fourth quarter was handled properly...if needed, he could have been re-inserted. SMH

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    He played 29+ minutes. His fourth quarter was handled properly...if needed, he could have been re-inserted. SMH
    I didn't say it was a bad thing just surprised me.

The Franchise
    Sure, I wasn't talking about the contract part. Just the numbers about the defense.

Some of it is coaching, but some of it is also just recognition. He doesn't have naturally great defensive feel, and his body type is not great for defense anyway; long legs, relatively heavy feet, fairly high centre of mass, and not much core strength means he's easily moved, can't navigate screens efficiently, and has a high balance that's easy to tip.

He can improve for sure, but I have real doubts that he's ever a ''great'' defender, for those reasons.
    Valid critiques.. He's shown flashes of being an above average defender on perimeter players. With that being said, he has trouble fighting through picks. He can at least be solid if coached correctly. Not sure if Gentry is the guy to develop that aspect of his game though.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar

With his wingspan he should be getting a ton of blocks and steals. I don't get it.

It's like Carmelo Anthony of 2013-2014.

Valid critiques.. He's shown flashes of being an above average defender on perimeter players. With that being said, he has trouble fighting through picks. He can at least be solid if coached correctly. Not sure if Gentry is the guy to develop that aspect of his game though.
    I think he has a lot of his best perimeter success against smaller guys, where he can just use his length to compensate for some of the foot-speed issues by kind of just enveloping the area of the ball-handler.

Again though, that's on-ball stuff, as you say, where he's generally a bit better than off-ball. And it's also against smaller guys, where his biggest issues come against guys who are also forwards.

I thought Ingram was known in LA for playing good defense when asked against top offensive guards/forwards. Somebody on here posted about how he shut down some of the best when he guarded them. Is it possible that maybe besides his weight, it is a motivation issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I thought Ingram was known in LA for playing good defense when asked against top offensive guards/forwards. Somebody on here posted about how he shut down some of the best when he guarded them. Is it possible that maybe besides his weight, it is a motivation issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea I posted those numbers.. He locked up PG, Kyrie, and a few other perimeter scorers. It's why I'm puzzled as to why he's not even playing good on-ball defense this season. Lakers would put him on the best perimeter player and he'd do a good job.

The Franchise
    I think he has a lot of his best perimeter success against smaller guys, where he can just use his length to compensate for some of the foot-speed issues by kind of just enveloping the area of the ball-handler.

Again though, that's on-ball stuff, as you say, where he's generally a bit better than off-ball. And it's also against smaller guys, where his biggest issues come against guys who are also forwards.
    He's just not strong enough yet to guard physical players. I don't think he'll ever be strong enough to guard 4's, and physical 3's on the block. But I've seen enough to not worry about him defending perimeter players. Coaches need to work with him on the off-ball stuff. It really sucks. It's on them to fix that.

Jrue played close to a perfect game, something about Portland with Jrue.

Lonzo played well, he really is becoming the perfect point guard for Gentry’s offense. I still wish he’d look to score a little more on his drives, there are times he flies past the defense but gives up a layup to pitch it back outside. I like the fact that he’s a pass first guard but if he was a bigger scoring threat I would think he’s collapse the defense even more.

Zion didn’t look as bouncy today, but before you know it, he almost effortlessly scored 25. You would like more than 4 rebounds from him though. I’m starting to think he’s less like Barkley and more like Dominique on steroids.

Frustating game for Ingram. Started out well, but stupid fouls killed his rythm.

How do you not love Josh Hart, every team needs a guy like that.

Advanced Stats for Tonight
    As always, 15 minute minimum

Best TS%: Josh Hart, 90.3%
    Worst TS%: Derrick Favors, 47.4%
    Highest REB%: Derrick Favors, 21.8%
    Highest AST%: Jrue Holiday, 36%

Highest Net Rating: Derrick Favors, +31.6
    Lowest Net Rating: Jrue Holiday +1.5

Most Deflections: Jrue Holiday, 4
    Most Screen Assists: Derrick Favors, 4
    Most 2pt Contests: Nicolo Melli, 7
    Most 3pt Contests: Lonzo Ball, 6
    Most Boxouts: Nicolo Melli, 4. Zion and Favors both had 3.

Thread Information