Pelicans Report

Thread: Is is really necessary for Benson inc. to raise season ticket prices by 100%???

Is is really necessary for Benson inc. to raise season ticket prices by 100%???

First it is having us sit outside in the cold because The ticket scanners would not work and now this,

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/2...iday-tick-pick

Merry Christmas!

Basketball Guru
    drew brees lol..

The archbishop needs the money to pay his legal troubles is my guess for the increase but at least bring back beer garden.

No tickets increased by 100%. The largest % increase were those that were less than $10/game previously (so any change is a significant increase). I do not like the benefit reduction, particularly the discount cards. That was the only perked that acknowledged those who have been long-time season ticket holders by offering an additional 5% discount for those. Instead, they increased the concession gift card which is solely based on how much you spend (and awkwardly calculated).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    No tickets increased by 100%. The largest % increase were those that were less than $10/game previously (so any change is a significant increase). I do not like the benefit reduction, particularly the discount cards. That was the only perked that acknowledged those who have been long-time season ticket holders by offering an additional 5% discount for those. Instead, they increased the concession gift card which is solely based on how much you spend (and awkwardly calculated).

PAY UP! YOU ARE GETTING BETTER QUALITY BASKETBALL NOW!

It doesn't really help the team attract more fans to watch the team live.. the pels have one of the worst supporters when it comes to watching the team live unless it's the playoffs... it's actually sad that a team that has Zion Williamson still has a lot of empty seats when you watch the games.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

Not 100%. The increase he is talking about is the largest experienced. The $350 or $375 tickets reportedly went up to $610. That is a huge percentage increase (60-75%). However, the $350 or $375 tickets were discounted "cheap seats" at about $8 or $9 a game! That is dirt cheap. Now, I understand the argument that they are not selling them anyway, so why increase them so drastically, but it may be to push those into slightly more expensive better seats and bring them closer to the action (to try and avoid the gaps of empty seats below those cheap seats). It is risky as those people may just choose to leave.

The problem is that the secondary market is so weak, so people may choose not to commit to season tickets and just buy off the secondary market when they want to go to a game.

Not 100%. The increase he is talking about is the largest experienced. The $350 or $375 tickets reportedly went up to $610. That is a huge percentage increase (60-75%). However, the $350 or $375 tickets were discounted "cheap seats" at about $8 or $9 a game! That is dirt cheap. Now, I understand the argument that they are not selling them anyway, so why increase them so drastically, but it may be to push those into slightly more expensive better seats and bring them closer to the action (to try and avoid the gaps of empty seats below those cheap seats). It is risky as those people may just choose to leave.

The problem is that the secondary market is so weak, so people may choose not to commit to season tickets and just buy off the secondary market when they want to go to a game.

What about the perks? Yep they are gone too. But you are right I’ll just continue to buy from secondary market now. I was considering full time season tix. but no way now. Oh and payment plans have been removed too. She wants it all in one lump sum. Good luck with that.

What about the perks? Yep they are gone too. But you are right I’ll just continue to buy from secondary market now. I was considering full time season tix. but no way now. Oh and payment plans have been removed too. She wants it all in one lump sum. Good luck with that.
    No, payment plans have not been removed. They have gone from 10 months down to 8 months (to have them paid by the season start). The perks are being advertised as an increase, but realistically, it is a shuffling around of perks and overall, a reduction IMO.

No, payment plans have not been removed. They have gone from 10 months down to 8 months (to have them paid by the season start). The perks are being advertised as an increase, but realistically, it is a shuffling around of perks and overall, a reduction IMO.

Not true. Read the article again. TBW checks their sources. Saints season tickets also went through the roof too. Looks of upset fans on SR.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 02-20-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Ticket increases weren’t the only alterations causing disappointment. Some other benefits cherished by fans are being cut in cost-saving measures such as paper tickets, discount cards, a season ticket book and an extended payment plan.

Season ticket holders also benefitted from access to the Pelicans’ “Beer Garden,” a spot for locals to grab a beer before the game and chat about the team’s chances each night. Moreso, it established a community for fans to foster relationships with one another.

“There has to be a value placed on allowing fans to gather and discuss the team pregame,” Hotard said. “New Orleans is a big community. To take away one of the premier social aspects of the game seems quite short sighted.”

Not true. Read the article again. TBW checks their sources. Saints season tickets also went through the roof too. Looks of upset fans on SR.
    What part are you claiming is not true? I am a season ticket holder and have been since day 1. So, I know what I pay and what perks I get. If you are referring to the comment above, they left out the part where the concession card values were increased.. Now, the Pelicans want you to believe that is a plus, but it all depends on how much you used the discount card. I used it a lot and feel that losing it more than offsets the increase in the concession card (which is why I said it is a shuffling of perks but IMO an overall decrease). Unfortunately, the beer garden was not used enough and most of the fans that complain about losing it did not even take advantage of it. Also, paper tickets and season ticket book is the same thing. TBW just trying to overdramatize. This was my first price increase in Pelicans tickets in 3 years though.

Been a Saints season ticket holder for 34 years, and yes, my tickets there went up 17% (3rd increase in a row). Unfortunately, it is not uncommon in sports, particularly the NFL.

What part are you claiming is not true? I am a season ticket holder and have been since day 1. So, I know what I pay and what perks I get. If you are referring to the comment above, they left out the part where the concession card values were increased.. Now, the Pelicans want you to believe that is a plus, but it all depends on how much you used the discount card. I used it a lot and feel that losing it more than offsets the increase in the concession card (which is why I said it is a shuffling of perks but IMO an overall decrease). Unfortunately, the beer garden was not used enough and most of the fans that complain about losing it did not even take advantage of it. Also, paper tickets and season ticket book is the same thing. TBW just trying to overdramatize. This was my first price increase in Pelicans tickets in 3 years though.

Been a Saints season ticket holder for 34 years, and yes, my tickets there went up 17% (3rd increase in a row). Unfortunately, it is not uncommon in sports, particularly the NFL.
    You sound like you are on the Sales staff. Ask them how they feel. Yeah one of them actually came to my face begging me to buy season tickets for next year this after they kept me sitting outside because the awful scanners were not working. Yeah I laughed at him.

Ask UNOGRACIOUS how he felt about being denied his club entrance when he had club tickets several years ago.

You sound like you are on the Sales staff. Ask them how they feel. Yeah one of them actually came to my face begging me to buy season tickets for next year this after they kept me sitting outside because the awful scanners were not working. Yeah I laughed at him.

Ask UNOGRACIOUS how he felt about being denied his club entrance when he had club tickets several years ago.
    Not on the sales staff at all and have my share of complaints about the way they have done things (both Pelicans and Saints). However, you (actually via TBW for that matter) were making definitive claims that just were not true. It is clear those comments were coming 2nd and 3rd or 4th hand and not from someone who is a season ticket holder.

Not on the sales staff at all and have my share of complaints about the way they have done things (both Pelicans and Saints). However, you (actually via TBW for that matter) were making definitive claims that just were not true. It is clear those comments were coming 2nd and 3rd or 4th hand and not from someone who is a season ticket holder.
    No it’s the majority. I suggest you read their social media pages. Fans are mad. You just don’t like TBW because they post Facts!

QUIT THE DENIAL
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 02-21-2020 at 01:40 PM.

I don’t mind a company raising prices in an effort to generate a stronger bottom line (I’m a commercial banker by trade, and capitalist by heart), but there is a time and place. I am sure that the team had a consulting company come in and say “yeah, by our research you can squeeze people in sections A, B, and C for x% more, and it wouldn’t impact sales.” But that firm probably ain’t local, and is probably going to do in the Pels like the other consulting firm did in the Zephyrs (or Babycakes). New Orleans is just a different market, and more specifically the New Orleans sports market is different than any other city.

This city is a very cyclical city, so in the spring when tax returns are coming in, the seafood and tourism industries are making hay, and conventions are coming into town, and Joe Public is flush with cash, His/her money will go first to necessities, and remaining discretionary income will be spent on concerts or Saints football. The load in blown after that, so unless people can find spare change in their couch, then that is all that is going to the Pels. That’s just the city. That’s it’s cyclicality. There isn’t much money to be spent in this team.

If that wasn’t enough of a problem you also have to sell fans on sizzle because there isn’t much steak (as of yet) to the team. People are always being sold sizzle, people bought sizzle with AD, with Zion, with hype videos. People might be wearing thin on sizzle, so unless you can put together a playoff run this year I don’t think this team can sell much more sizzle. People want to know “where’s the beaf?” I think the team is jumping the shark on raising ticket prices, put a winner on the court (a real winner), and then up the prices. Unless you are trying to use poor ticket sales as your scapegoat for moving the team, then this is a bad move.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I don’t mind a company raising prices in an effort to generate a stronger bottom line (I’m a commercial banker by trade, and capitalist by heart), but there is a time and place. I am sure that the team had a consulting company come in and say “yeah, by our research you can squeeze people in sections A, B, and C for x% more, and it wouldn’t impact sales.” But that firm probably ain’t local, and is probably going to do in the Pels like the other consulting firm did in the Zephyrs (or Babycakes). New Orleans is just a different market, and more specifically the New Orleans sports market is different than any other city.

This city is a very cyclical city, so in the spring when tax returns are coming in, the seafood and tourism industries are making hay, and conventions are coming into town, and Joe Public is flush with cash, His/her money will go first to necessities, and remaining discretionary income will be spent on concerts or Saints football. The load in blown after that, so unless people can find spare change in their couch, then that is all that is going to the Pels. That’s just the city. That’s it’s cyclicality. There isn’t much money to be spent in this team.

If that wasn’t enough of a problem you also have to sell fans on sizzle because there isn’t much steak (as of yet) to the team. People are always being sold sizzle, people bought sizzle with AD, with Zion, with hype videos. People might be wearing thin on sizzle, so unless you can put together a playoff run this year I don’t think this team can sell much more sizzle. People want to know “where’s the beaf?” I think the team is jumping the shark on raising ticket prices, put a winner on the court (a real winner), and then up the prices. Unless you are trying to use poor ticket sales as your scapegoat for moving the team, then this is a bad move.
    I would not mind if we were above .500 and tops in the West right now but we are not. We are below.500 with an inconsistent HEad Coach. Maybe Gayle wants to use the money to pay Calipari?

No it’s the majority. I suggest you read their social media pages. Fans are mad. You just don’t like TBW because they post Facts!

QUIT THE DENIAL
    No, you posted a bunch of guesses and exaggerations that were undeniably wrong because you were relying on an article you read on the internet and dramatization to define your "opinions." I spelled out the facts and showed you where your comments were wrong. That does not mean that fans cannot be upset about the changes (I know I am upset about some of them).

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

I cannot speak for them, but I am guessing they were in a bit of a hard place. Raising prices during a losing season does seem awfully short-sighted. However, they may justify it because of Zion and the young future stars and secondly, they had not raised ticket prices for most of the arena in 3 years.

I would not mind if we were above .500 and tops in the West right now but we are not. We are below.500 with an inconsistent HEad Coach. Maybe Gayle wants to use the money to pay Calipari?
    Why the sudden Calipari thoughts? He's probably not going to leave college again; he gets paid a ton, he's respected there, and the last time he was an NBA coach he wasn't very good and got fired. Even if Calipari did want to leave and come back to NBA coaching, why would you want him?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Why the sudden Calipari thoughts? He's probably not going to leave college again; he gets paid a ton, he's respected there, and the last time he was an NBA coach he wasn't very good and got fired. Even if Calipari did want to leave and come back to NBA coaching, why would you want him?
    Why do you hate John Calipari?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonzo4MVP View Post
    THE ANTHONY DAVIS DAYS OF USING YOUR EBT CARD AT THE CONCESSION STAND AND SEC 8 VOUCHERS FOR TICKETS ARE HISTORY THANK GOD. IF YOU RATHER THAT GO TO THE STAPLES CENTER AND WATCH THE BASKETBALL GAMES. WE ARE FINALLY GETTING GOOD QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT. THE MORE YOU SPEND THE BETTER WE GET! SO OPEN YOUR WALLET AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED WITH GOOD QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT. OH AND WHO IS THIS CALIPARI GUY? DON’T NEED HIS KENTUCKY TRASH HERE. WE GOT ALVIN GENTRY . GENTRY MUCH BETTER. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!
    Turn off the caps lock

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Turn off the caps lock
    My eyes!

Thread Information