Pelicans Report

Thread: Would you like to see Zion do the dunk contest next season?

Hall of Famer

Would you like to see Zion do the dunk contest next season?

Zion time

A dunk
    Basketball.

No

He already said he would do it if healthy and winning so there is your answer

https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...m-Dunk-Contest

Adam Silver sees dollar signs next year ASG

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    He already said he would do it if healthy and winning so there is your answer

https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...m-Dunk-Contest

Adam Silver sees dollar signs next year ASG
    Uh oh

To be honest, I don't see why he wouldn't do it, if he was fully healthy and the team was doing well (like he said).

It's not like young stars doing it is weird. Michael Jordan did it. Kobe Bryant did it. Dwight did it the first time when he was still in Orlando.

I get that there's some form of worry about potential for injury and the unnecessary strain on the body, which I guess is understandable, but by that same metric wouldn't we want him to miss the all-star game too, when he inevitably gets the nod? Wouldn't want to risk him getting hurt during an Elam ending or something, so no all-star games for Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    To be honest, I don't see why he wouldn't do it, if he was fully healthy and the team was doing well (like he said).

It's not like young stars doing it is weird. Michael Jordan did it. Kobe Bryant did it. Dwight did it the first time when he was still in Orlando.

I get that there's some form of worry about potential for injury and the unnecessary strain on the body, which I guess is understandable, but by that same metric wouldn't we want him to miss the all-star game too, when he inevitably gets the nod? Wouldn't want to risk him getting hurt during an Elam ending or something, so no all-star games for Zion.
    Or when he just does that stuff screwing around after practice.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Let him do whatever he wants. If he gets hurt, such is life.

I think that I'd rather see Jax in the dunk contest. He has some serious hops.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    Or when he just does that stuff screwing around after practice.
    Exactly. I get being cautious, but you can't just forbid the guy from doing anything remotely strenuous outside of a game. As long as he's cleared by the medical staff, which he damn well should be a year from now , he should be totally allowed to do the dunk contest or the skills challenge or the all-star game or whatever.

Has anyone ever actually been injured in a dunk contest? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlade View Post
    I think that I'd rather see Jax in the dunk contest. He has some serious hops.
    Both.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Let him do whatever he wants. If he gets hurt, such is life.
    I don’t think anyone has gotten injured. Seems like a safe event.

Seeing Gordon getting snubbed twice, I say no.

See our twice-injured, 285-pound forward enter a meaningless contest that compels contestants to attempt ever more elaborate stunts in order to play a stupid school yard version of “Top This!”? No thank you.

A lot of you guys are probably too young to remember a player named Randy Livingston. He was a local high school star who was the number one recruit in the nation in the early 90s, ahead of guys like Jason Kidd and Jerry Stackhouse. Livingston was as an athletic phenom and a great player besides. The summer before his freshman year in college he was messing around in the gym doing some elaborate dunks until in attempting one (the story was he jumped over a tall chair or a ball rack) he blew out his knee. He made it to LSU a year later and even managed a journeyman career in the NBA, but was never again the same player.

It ain’t worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    See our twice-injured, 285-pound forward enter a meaningless contest that compels contestants to attempt ever more elaborate stunts in order to play a stupid school yard version of “Top This!”? No thank you.

A lot of you guys are probably too young to remember a player named Randy Livingston. He was a local high school star who was the number one recruit in the nation in the early 90s, ahead of guys like Jason Kidd and Jerry Stackhouse. Livingston was as an athletic phenom and a great player besides. The summer before his freshman year in college he was messing around in the gym doing some elaborate dunks until in attempting one (the story was he jumped over a tall chair or a ball rack) he blew out his knee. He made it to LSU a year later and even managed a journeyman career in the NBA, but was never again the same player.

It ain’t worth it.
    Do we also ban Zion from the all-star game?

No. Or the Olympic Team, etc...Those are team game competitions and of course he could get injured doing them. But the dunk contest has pushed contestants to ever greater extremes, performing unnatural basketball acts (jumping over a 7’ man, spinning 360 degrees while scissoring your legs) that puts maximum stress on joint and limb all in pursuit of some subjective score in a meaningless exhibition of a disaggregated sub-skill of the sport. Risk/Reward is way skewed to the negative...

Absolutely. Think about the good of the game and the league for a minute before being so scared. The whole weekend is a showcase for Basketball and the NBA. ALL the legends of the game (Wings and guards) have participated in the slam dunk contest with the exception of LeBron and Wade. And Bron said he was gonna do it, but got scared. Zion ain't scared.

Again I’ll ask , Has anyone ever gotten injured on the slam dunk contest? I don’t think Zion needs a gimmick to win the slam dunk contest. Why not? He already bent a rim in a rookie game.

Quote Originally Posted by kidjock24 View Post
    Absolutely. Think about the good of the game and the league for a minute before being so scared. The whole weekend is a showcase for Basketball and the NBA. ALL the legends of the game (Wings and guards) have participated in the slam dunk contest with the exception of LeBron and Wade. And Bron said he was gonna do it, but got scared. Zion ain't scared.
    Exactly! Though I don't think Lebron was ''scared'', I just don't think his style of dunking is really dunk-contest worthy. It's like Westbrook; powerful, explosive, cool, but it's not gonna win any dunk contests. He just jumps high and slams it hard.

But yeah, Jordan did it, Dr J did it, Clyde did it, Dominique did it, Kobe, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Giannis, Paul George, Blake Griffin, Larry Johnson, Dwight, Shawn Kemp, T Mac, Lillard, Pippen, Oladipo, John Wall, Amar'e Stoudemire, the list goes on.

Tons of greats have done it, and in some cases (Carter, Jordan, Dominique, Kobe) their dunk contests have become part of their legacy. If Zion wants to do it, he's healthy, the team is winning, and the med staff approves him, he should do it.

Thread Information