Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: All Star Game

The only tweak I would make is that you gotta win by 5

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by 75saint View Post
    The only tweak I would make is that you gotta win by 5
    The problem with that is that it adds the potential for extending the game even further.

Like, take that all star game. At that level, it's incredibly difficult to create separation. The 4th quarter was about 16 minutes long, and Team LeBron barelt won. If they had inserted the stipulation that actually, after reaching the target score, you've got to keep going until you're up 5, I honestly think we could have seen a 20 minute quarter.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    As Shaka 'Con-Artist' screws up the National Anthem, I've decided. I'm outta here.

Best of luck, Brandon.
    One of the most disgusting renditions of the Anthem I have ever heard. Embarrassing.

The problem with that is that it adds the potential for extending the game even further.

Like, take that all star game. At that level, it's incredibly difficult to create separation. The 4th quarter was about 16 minutes long, and Team LeBron barelt won. If they had inserted the stipulation that actually, after reaching the target score, you've got to keep going until you're up 5, I honestly think we could have seen a 20 minute quarter.
    There's an easy fix for that. No player can play more than 8 minutes in the 4th. When a team goes over the minutes limit and cannot put 5 on the floor the game ends. If its tied at that point next basket wins.

It's not like the bench guys are replacement level. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    There's an easy fix for that. No player can play more than 8 minutes in the 4th. When a team goes over the minutes limit and cannot put 5 on the floor the game ends. If its tied at that point next basket wins.

It's not like the bench guys are replacement level. LOL
    I feel like this is a needlessly convoluted fix to a problem that really isn't that big a deal in the first place. Now we're adding the stipulation that the coaches don't actually get full control over their own rotations and minutes control.

I feel like this is a needlessly convoluted fix to a problem that really isn't that big a deal in the first place. Now we're adding the stipulation that the coaches don't actually get full control over their own rotations and minutes control.
    Okay, first team to the target score or 15 minutes max.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 02-17-2020 at 06:22 PM.

How about next year each quarter is to 20 and you have to win by 3.

Or just go full on playground and play to 11 win by 2. All shots are worth 1 and behind the arc is worth 2. No fouls unless there is blood.

Okay, first team the target score or 15 minutes max.
    I was thinking more, since we're putting time-limits back in to fix the problems that taking time-limits out creates, we just stick with the time limit we have now?

I was thinking more, since we're putting time-limits back in to fix the problems that taking time-limits out creates, we just stick with the time limit we have now?
    Yeah, I didn't even know about the format change until I started watching. An easy way to do it is first to target score or keep the regular time limit. That way the game either ends early or on time.

To be fair, tennis doesn't have a time limit.

To be fair, tennis doesn't have a time limit.
    Maybe but (and I could be completely wrong here, I do not watch tennis) isn't tennis also to a really low score? Whereas any reasonable basketball game hits comfortably over 100 points for each team.

By contrast, I do watch a lot of snooker, which doesn't have a time limit either and doesn't really have a target score either; it works by having an overall pool of potentially available points (147 in total) that the players take chunks out of on their breaks, and you win a frame by scoring enough that the other person can't mathematically achieve a higher score than you.

Then, you do that a bunch of times because snooker is usually played in best of 5, best of 9, best of 11, or best of 17 sets.

The consequence of this is that a game of snooker can last upwards of 6 hours without much difficulty.

Maybe but (and I could be completely wrong here, I do not watch tennis) isn't tennis also to a really low score? Whereas any reasonable basketball game hits comfortably over 100 points for each team.

By contrast, I do watch a lot of snooker, which doesn't have a time limit either and doesn't really have a target score either; it works by having an overall pool of potentially available points (147 in total) that the players take chunks out of on their breaks, and you win a frame by scoring enough that the other person can't mathematically achieve a higher score than you.

Then, you do that a bunch of times because snooker is usually played in best of 5, best of 9, best of 11, or best of 17 sets.

The consequence of this is that a game of snooker can last upwards of 6 hours without much difficulty.
    Men's matches can last over 3 hours with the average about 2.5 hours. They play a best of five series (five sets). Each set is basically a series of individual games. A set is won by a player winning 5 games and also having to win by two games. So, if its 4 games to 5 the winner will need to 6. If its 5 to 6 games the winner will have to get to 5 - 7 to win and so on. Each individual game is for the most part scored by the first to score 5 points and they have to win by 2.

I might be wrong on some of these details since its been a while since I've played. Other than the jumping part its takes a crazy amount of stamina at the highest levels.

Thread Information