Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: All Star Game

All Star All Star Game

I wasn't going to make a thread for the All Star game because honestly I don't think anyone is hype about it, but there is a Pelican taking part in the form of Brandon Ingram, so I figured that it was probably a good idea just to stick it up here in case anyone other than me does watch it.

The rules for this All-Star game are a little bit modified, so I'll repeat them here in case anyone hasn't caught the changes:

According to the NBA's FAQ page, teams will compete to win each 12-minute quarter for their designated Chicago-based charities. If the first or second quarter ends in a tie, the $100,000 charity award will be added to the next quarter's award. If the third quarter ends in a tie, the money is added to the team that wins the game.

The fourth quarter will be a unique commemoration to Bryant. The game clock will be turned off and a "final target score" will be set, the NBA said. The target score is determined by the leading team's cumulative score for three quarters and adding 24 points -- a nod to Bryant's No. 24 jersey, which he wore for the last decade of his career.

For instance, if a game entering the fourth is 100-95, the team with 100 points would only need to score 24 points in the fourth to win before the other team scores 29.
    It's weird, and there has even been some speculation about if the league will ever incorporate this strange ending style (called the ''Elam Ending'') into the regular season. All I can say is this: by god, I hope not. Sounds like a brilliant way to kill tight games.

Here's the thread though! I hope Team Giannis wins for a couple of reasons.

- Ingram's on that team
    - Giannis is great
    - Lebron and AD are both on the other team, screw 'em

On the other hand, Team Lebron does have Jokic, Doncic, CP3, Sabonis, and Tatum, who are all players I love, so it's kinda neutral other than Ingram's influence.
    Basketball.

Got a real feeling that Lebron is going to play heavy minutes tonight and will absolutely gun it for All Star MVP.

It's a big Kobe memorial, and Lebron's a Laker, and of course winning tonight will give Lebron his 4th All-Star MVP, which would tie him with Kobe. So the narrative is all set up.

Gotta say, the All Star Game always does everything even bigger than any regular season game could.

Like, for example, the annoying 10 minutes after a game is scheduled to start where they just don't start the game?

All-Star Game does that way bigger! The regular season could never hope to compete with this 20+ minute late start. Truly a miracle of organisation.

I love that they feel the need to individually introduce each All-Star, as if they weren't largely picked by the public, and announced in full weeks ago.

Common's introductory rhymes for each player were some of the most embarrassing things I've heard in a while. I felt bad for him, for saying them in public where people could hear, and I felt bad for the players having them as appellations.

As Shaka 'Con-Artist' screws up the National Anthem, I've decided. I'm outta here.

Best of luck, Brandon.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-16-2020 at 07:38 PM.

We are now 35 minutes deep after the show ''started''. No game yet.

Between the length of these intros and finding out that apparently NFL games regularly contain less than 20 minutes of actual football over the course of 3+ hours, I'm ready to declare that American sporting events are designed specifically to make viewers hate themselves.

All this Kobe love is so disproportionate to the life he lived. Only the aspects most favorable to Kobe Bryant's life is covered in today's world of distortion and lies.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-16-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Advertised start time: 8pm (local time, 1am here in the UK)
    Actual time of tip-off: 8:45pm

Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    All this Kobe love is so disproportionate to the life he lived. Only the aspects most favorable to Kobe Bryant life is covered in today's world of distortion and lies.
    I wish they'd tone it down but hey, when there's a chance for hagiography, they do not give it up.

Love seeing Doncic putting people in jail in the all-star game lol

Kawhi's on fire, he has 4 made 3s already, a couple boards, a steal

Watching Donovan Mitchell throw a slightly-off-target halfcourt lob to Gobert who fails to catch it because he can't jump over a postage stamp is peak Utah Jazz

Why do players shoot so many 3s these days?

Cause there are no 4s.

Reggie Miller says Jokic is ''one of the all time great passers for a centre''

Which is a weird way to say ''the single greatest passing centre of all time''

Gobert fails to catch another lob because he can't jump

Guys, you have to throw these ones low-ball for him

The Rising Stars game was much better..Morant and Zion is needed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Reggie Miller says Jokic is ''one of the all time great passers for a centre''

Which is a weird way to say ''the single greatest passing centre of all time''
    See Bill Russell

Good to see each team brick turnaround midrangers. True tribute to Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    The Rising Stars game was much better..Morant and Zion is needed here.
    Give it until next year.

CP3 just hit an alley-oop dunk

What year is this

Ingram just took an off the dribble pullup 3

Yep, that's not nice

Kawhi is 6/7 from 3 tonight so far

Kawhi just hit another 3

Thread Information