Pelicans Report

Thread: Skills, Dunk, 3 Pointer: The All Star Contests

All Star Skills, Dunk, 3 Pointer: The All Star Contests

It's the day between the Rising Stars game and the normal All Star Game, and as a result it's also the day they have all those mini contests which rarely live up to our hopes.

Skills contest comes first, then the 3pt, then the Dunk.

This year, there are no Pelicans being represented in any of these contests, which is a big shame, although as another thread points out, we can look forward to a Zion appearance in the Dunk contest next year as long as the team is doing okay.

But anyhow, here's a thread for those all star extracurriculars.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    A shame he's in such a small market. How is he gonna get sponsorship deals?

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    A shame he's in such a small market. How is he gonna get sponsorship deals?
    Obviously it depends on how much you value each endorsement, but I don't think it's a stretch to say Zion has a more impressive list of sponsorships as a rookie than AD does now, the better part of a decade deep

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Obviously it depends on how much you value each endorsement, but I don't think it's a stretch to say Zion has a more impressive list of sponsorships as a rookie than AD does now, the better part of a decade deep
    I think he was kidding. The NBA isn't about markets; it's about the world. Great smile. Great personality. Positive role model. You can have those characteristics playing on an NBA team in Shreveport and still get sponsorship deals.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    I think he was kidding. The NBA isn't about markets; it's about the world. Great smile. Great personality. Positive role model. You can have those characteristics playing on an NBA team in Shreveport and still get sponsorship deals.
    I know, I wasn't disagreeing! I was kind of just adding on, bouncing off what he'd said.

I love Jayson Tatum and Domantas Sabonis but big lol at Sabonis beating Tatum in the skills challenge

Davis Bertans is the greatest shooter of all time.

I appreciate that Buddy Hield won the 3pt contest, and he is cool and all, but the best part of the entire thing was when Bertans went hit 11 of his final 12 shots in the first round.

Latvian Laser

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    That was pathetic.

That's like a 4.

Wtf am I watching. This is so bad.

One true 50 dunk that saved the evening for me.

Gordon's taint was all over Tacko's neck and head. He didn't dunk over him. Come on.

Dunk contests are incredibly boring the vast majority of the time.

There have been about 4 good dunk contests in the last 20 years.

I'm bored of watching people jump over other people. I get that it's an impressive feat, I'm still appreciative of that, I certainly couldn't do it, but it's boring at this point. I'm impressed by a lot of things which aren't actually entertaining to watch.

Also completely uninterested in watching someone do a dunk where the real ''highlight'' element of it is the fact that they're wearing a costume; sorry Dwight. Your cape does not actually make the dunk more interesting.

The thing that really kills the dunk contest are the judges. They awarded Aaron Gordon 10’s for the same dunk he did earlier in the competition. It’s been a joke since Kenny the Jet Smith was the hype man for Blake Griffin. You award creativity and execution. You don’t award a loud mouth idiot yelling “that’s a 10! Everything’s a 10! Give them both a trophy!”

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    The thing that really kills the dunk contest are the judges. They awarded Aaron Gordon 10’s for the same dunk he did earlier in the competition. It’s been a joke since Kenny the Jet Smith was the hype man for Blake Griffin. You award creativity and execution. You don’t award a loud mouth idiot yelling “that’s a 10! Everything’s a 10! Give them both a trophy!”
    I'm pretty sure at some point Aaron Gordon did a dunk that Jones had already done during that night and got 10s for it

I hate the entire all-star weekend. The 3pt contest and skills challenge are OK I guess, but the dunk contest judging and the game itself leave a lot to be desired. Make the dunk contest an exhibition only and create stakes for the winner/loser of the game. Something like the losers of the game have to stay of Instagram for the rest of the season or the winners get $100,000 each for their favorite charity. I don't care anything about seeing a 170-168 game with no defense. Of course, all major sport all-star games are jokes anyway.

I'm pretty sure at some point Aaron Gordon did a dunk that Jones had already done during that night and got 10s for it
    And the dunks are nice. But it’s always been understood that you are awarded on creativity and not repeating the same dunks. It’s just sad

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    I hate the entire all-star weekend. The 3pt contest and skills challenge are OK I guess, but the dunk contest judging and the game itself leave a lot to be desired. Make the dunk contest an exhibition only and create stakes for the winner/loser of the game. Something like the losers of the game have to stay of Instagram for the rest of the season or the winners get $100,000 each for their favorite charity. I don't care anything about seeing a 170-168 game with no defense. Of course, all major sport all-star games are jokes anyway.
    The rules for the All Star Game have been changed this year, and there is indeed a charity prize available for the winning team.

The new rules are (in my view) terrible, but here they are: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nba-all...les-explained/

According to the NBA's FAQ page, teams will compete to win each 12-minute quarter for their designated Chicago-based charities. If the first or second quarter ends in a tie, the $100,000 charity award will be added to the next quarter's award. If the third quarter ends in a tie, the money is added to the team that wins the game.

The fourth quarter will be a unique commemoration to Bryant. The game clock will be turned off and a "final target score" will be set, the NBA said. The target score is determined by the leading team's cumulative score for three quarters and adding 24 points -- a nod to Bryant's No. 24 jersey, which he wore for the last decade of his career.

For instance, if a game entering the fourth is 100-95, the team with 100 points would only need to score 24 points in the fourth to win before the other team scores 29.

Dunk contests are incredibly boring the vast majority of the time.

There have been about 4 good dunk contests in the last 20 years.

I'm bored of watching people jump over other people. I get that it's an impressive feat, I'm still appreciative of that, I certainly couldn't do it, but it's boring at this point. I'm impressed by a lot of things which aren't actually entertaining to watch.

Also completely uninterested in watching someone do a dunk where the real ''highlight'' element of it is the fact that they're wearing a costume; sorry Dwight. Your cape does not actually make the dunk more interesting.
    I did not watch any of the all star junk last night. But as far as the bolded, I've been saying for years the NBA needs to put a stop to that. It's boring and one day its going to end badly.

And the whole contest was garbage from what I see on the highlights.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I did not watch any of the all star junk last night. But as far as the bolded, I've been saying for years the NBA needs to put a stop to that. It's boring and one day its going to end badly.

I haven't watched any type of NBA All-Star crap in a few years. I just watch highlights on reddit. Much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

I actually think it was pretty entertaining this year compared to the last few years. The judging was pathetic as usual.

Thread Information