Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 13th February - New Orleans Pelicans vs Oklahoma City Thunder - 23-31

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    If it was 17-11 they still wouldnt show up.
    We haven't been 17-11 home over 12 years if I'm correct and people where showing up

Honest Question:

What position does Lonzo Ball play?

I really hate this damn team sometimes.

I have jerseys for the two idiots responsible for this loss. Considering burning them... but I won't.

Basketball.

New Pels fan, new NBA fan really. Just wanted to say hey

Pelicanidae,

I know much of our philosophies differ, but I really would like to know what the team gives up per 36 and the what the +/- is with Reddick on the court versus when he isn't. If anybody knows how to get this info, it's probably you as you are the keeper of all things numerical (meant as compliment).

Zion's postgame interview.

''You said it yourself; self inflicted turnovers. They were hitting shots. A leader like Chris Paul, he was facilitating their offense and they were hitting shots. Self inflicted turnovers. Not much to it.''

2 Straight 30 point games, what changed?

''My ability to get to the free throw line. Trying to keep going in there and draw as much attention as I can and when I do, I have open kick outs. It's trying to make the right kick outs.''

Is it satisfying watching your percentage go up after the first 3 rough games from the line?

''At the moment, not very satisfying. If I had made every free throw, the game would have had a different feel to it towards the end. But there has been improvement.''

On defense:

''I need to learn when to get back to my man and when to stay trying to corral the ball handler. I think we gotta have more trust in each other. We do have trust but we don't wanna make mistakes. So we make mistakes.''

On dominating and taking over:

''Yes and no, I do get those feelings where I know I just gotta take over and do what I can to help the team win, but then I start getting in my own head, I don't wanna hurt my team, make the mistake, or cost the team. So I start second guessing myself.''

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_PELS51 View Post
    New Pels fan, new NBA fan really. Just wanted to say hey
    Hey! Welcome to the team and to the league. You picked a good team to start with, imo, because although we're not great yet, we have a bright future ahead of us and Zion's one of the most fun players to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah it was bad.

Can't imagine the kind of criticism he'd get if he had done something even worse, like fouled 5 times (including really bad fouls like leaping into a 3pt shooter from 5 feet away), or turned it over even more times than he did, all while playing largely poor defense. If someone did that, they'd be getting really savaged right now. Glad nobody did that, there's no way it could go unremarked upon.
    At least Lonzo was hitting his shots and he isn’t getting paid as a team leader. What do you not understand the difference between player A at 22 yrs old vs almost 30 team leader who fumbles the ball in clutch moments? I mean Jrue turned the ball over off his foot one second after AD mentioned that each possession is important from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it was bad.

Can't imagine the kind of criticism he'd get if he had done something even worse, like fouled 5 times (including really bad fouls like leaping into a 3pt shooter from 5 feet away), or turned it over even more times than he did, all while playing largely poor defense. If someone did that, they'd be getting really savaged right now. Glad nobody did that, there's no way it could go unremarked upon.
    Too bad that other person doesnt make $26 mil or isnt considered a veteran key top 3 rotation player.

If only that other guy were.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Pelicanidae,

I know much of our philosophies differ, but I really would like to know what the team gives up per 36 and the what the +/- is with Reddick on the court versus when he isn't. If anybody knows how to get this info, it's probably you as you are the keeper of all things numerical (meant as compliment).
    Redick's on off is +1.9. Our offense is +4.4 when he's on the court, but he is a slight negative defensively, as the opposing offense is also +2.5 when he's on the court. As it currently stands, he's a positive overall because his offensive contribution is bigger than his defensive liabilities, but he is clearly a defensive weakness. On/Off is a per 100 measure rather than a per 36, but you still get the idea.

That also shows up in stats like PIPM, where he's +1.99 offensively, but -2.04 defensively, resulting in him being a slight negative overall by that metric.

Redick's on off is +1.9. Our offense is +4.4 when he's on the court, but he is a slight negative defensively, as the opposing offense is also +2.5 when he's on the court. As it currently stands, he's a positive overall because his offensive contribution is bigger than his defensive liabilities, but he is clearly a defensive weakness. On/Off is a per 100 measure rather than a per 36, but you still get the idea.

That also shows up in stats like PIPM, where he's +1.99 offensively, but -2.04 defensively, resulting in him being a slight negative overall by that metric.
    TY

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    At least Lonzo was hitting his shots and he isn’t getting paid as a team leader. What do you not understand the difference between player A at 22 yrs old vs almost 30 team leader who fumbles the ball in clutch moments? I mean Jrue turned the ball over off his foot one second after AD mentioned that each possession is important from here on out.

Of course I do.

No individual lost us this game by themselves. Multiple people played badly in various ways. I'm not necessarily making the comparison to try and shift blame onto Lonzo; I'm only making it to point out that other players also contributed towards the loss, and the fact that people zero in on Jrue without even taking 10 seconds to mention the other players on the team who also hold responsibility is a sign of confirmation bias.

Hey! Welcome to the team and to the league. You picked a good team to start with, imo, because although we're not great yet, we have a bright future ahead of us and Zion's one of the most fun players to watch.

Hey thanks brother!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Pelicanidae,

Reddick was a horror show on defense in philly and opposing teams know

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Reddick was a horror show on defense in philly and opposing teams know
    The thing about Redick's defense is that he's bad, but he's bad in predictable and consistent ways. A good defensive team can work around that and hide him, at least in the regular season; that's what Philly did.

We are not a good defensive team.

Of course I do.

No individual lost us this game by themselves. Multiple people played badly in various ways. I'm not necessarily making the comparison to try and shift blame onto Lonzo; I'm only making it to point out that other players also contributed towards the loss, and the fact that people zero in on Jrue without even taking 10 seconds to mention the other players on the team who also hold responsibility is a sign of confirmation bias.
    I have confirmation bias.I agree.

I do watch almost every game and keep seeing the same mistakes... every game almost... with my two eyes.

Momentum is huge in any sport. If Mark Ingram ran the ball for 100+ yards and then fumbled on the goal line ... he would be in Payton’s doghouse. Same concept here. He is a vet and leader and should be held to higher standards in the clutch.

I have confirmation bias.I agree.

I do watch almost every game and keep seeing the same mistakes... every game almost... with my two eyes.

Momentum is huge in any sport. If Mark Ingram ran the ball for 100+ yards and then fumbled on the goal line ... he would be in Payton’s doghouse. Same concept here. He is a vet and leader and should be held to higher standards in the clutch.
    I don't watch American football, so I have no idea what that means.

But sure, I watch every single game myself and I also see many of the same mistakes popping up again and again. But it's not only Jrue that's making them. The point isn't that Jrue is beyond criticism; of course he's not. The point is that he's not the only player who's subject to it. Everyone should get it.

13th February - New Orleans Pelicans vs Oklahoma City Thunder - 23-31

I don't watch American football, so I have no idea what that means.

But sure, I watch every single game myself and I also see many of the same mistakes popping up again and again. But it's not only Jrue that's making them. The point isn't that Jrue is beyond criticism; of course he's not. The point is that he's not the only player who's subject to it. Everyone should get it.
    Every job i have worked, usually you get more leniency with job performance and in line with your pay depending on experience.

Don’t know how you guys roll on that side of the pond but... sounds pretty hardcore

How about Zion against Adams? Adams is a big physical dude and Zion held his own. I’m more impressed about that then his stat line.

How about Zion against Adams? Adams is a big physical dude and Zion held his own. I’m more impressed about that then his stat line.

It was good. He got held off a little on the boards (only 6, which is okay but not up to his average) but he was going right at him. Moved him considerably a few times, and Adams is one of the strongest guys in the NBA. Clear advantage in terms of burst too, both vertically and in terms of acceleration.

It was good. He got held off a little on the boards (only 6, which is okay but not up to his average) but he was going right at him. Moved him considerably a few times, and Adams is one of the strongest guys in the NBA. Clear advantage in terms of burst too, both vertically and in terms of acceleration.
    Glad you saw the same i did because i respect your opinion. Cheers.

Advanced Stats for Tonight
    Minimum 15 minutes

Best TS%: Lonzo Ball, 84.7%
    Worst TS%: Nicolo Melli, 42.9%
    Highest REB%: Derrick Favors, 22%
    Highest AST%: Jrue Holiday, 37.9%

Highest Net Rating: E'twaun Moore, +14.2
    Lowest Net Rating: JJ Redick, -21.5

Most Deflections: Lonzo with 4
    Most Screen Assists: Kind of cheating because he only played 8 minutes, but it was Hayes; he had 6. Favors qualified in terms of minutes, but only had 3.
    Most 2pt Contests: Favors with 7
    Most 3pt Contests: Zion, Lonzo, and Hart all tied with 4
    Most Boxouts: Favors with 3

THERE ARE NO PELICANS GAMES NOW UNTIL THE 21ST

WHICH IS ALSO MY BIRTHDAY

NICE

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The thing about this long break is it resets everyone. Before and after the break is a common stat dividing point. Hopefully for Memphis is cools them off and they have a real coming back to earth moment as everyone gets to catch their breath.

Of course...the same could happen to us. They start to struggle...and we take a step back. It could happen. Just hope not.

Thread Information