Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jrue Holiday Appreciation Thread

Jrue Holiday Appreciation Thread

He deserves it. We have been a little hard on him this year but he finally has come in clutch tonight.

Oh I meant clutch with a “C” not “K”

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    He deserves it. We have been a little hard on him this year but he finally has come in clutch tonight.
    lol i knew you were going to start a jrue thread after the game lol....

I approve this thread
    Basketball.

I was not expecting this thread to get buried. Interesting.

Consistency,Consistency,Consistency Then I'll appreciate the hell out of him

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    Consistency,Consistency,Consistency Then I'll appreciate the hell out of him
    This 100%. Everyone will agree that Jrue had a phenomenal game last night. Usual great defense, great playmaking and he hit his shots when the game was on the line. But we’ve seen great games from “Good Jrue” before. The question is when are we going to see “Bad Jrue“ again. The shot selection was still questionable last night. A step back 3 is not a high percentage shot, regardless of whether he was hitting them last night.

Would absolutely love to see him continue to gain the consistency, especially in playmaking, but that requires avoiding inexcusable turnovers. Outside of the first possession of the game he was able to do that last night. But we need to see it for more than a single game, or even the span of a few games. At this point, great defense is all we can CONSISTENTLY depend on from Jrue.
    Last edited by pr1840; 02-09-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Basketball Guru
    it was a family thing....jrue had to get the bragging rights for this season lol....

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Congrats Jrue, but yeah, I just don't believe he can become consistent.

Jrue can be a very frustrating player when he is taking bad shots and committing bizarre turnovers. But you also know that when he is right, he can take over a game. I am hopeful that they keep him this offseason, because players like him don't grow on trees.

Jrue for the last 2 years: top 20 player in the NBA

Jrue this year: clearly taken a step back, but still a top 50 player

Half the people on this board: ''Jrue is a bad player the majority of the time, we should definitely trade him, probably for some combination of mediocre players and terrible picks.''

I've seen people saying he has more low scoring games than high ones the fact is, he's averaging 20. If you're having far more low scoring games than high ones, you don't average 20.

He's played in 44 games so far this year. He's scored at least 18 points in 28 of them. That's about 64% of his games, well over half. You listen to half the people on this board, you'd think he was averaging 10 points a game on 39% TS% or something.

Jrue is clearly the best defender on our team. Only really Favors comes close. Very arguably our best halfcourt playmaker as well. If not the best, he's unquestionably top 3.

Nobody will deny that Jrue this year is not as good as Jrue last year. But the hate he's received from much of the fanbase is kind of ridiculous.

I just think Jrue lacks that urgency that some players have 24/7. It’s why he tends to be a better postseason player than regular season player. I’m not sure we can afford to have a player that decides to turn it on less than 50% of the time. There are games where he absolutely kills the offensive flow and digs us into a hole. I don’t think that is something that will change after about a decade in the league. If we find good value for him in the offseason, I see no reason why we shouldn’t trade him.

And here we have people abusing generalized season average stats to prove how "good" he has been.

When most of us recognize that in too many big games he seems to be at his worst. And his variance of performance is just too damn wide. He is literally feast or famine.

Thats why in my industry we focus on medians, not averages.

His consistency is the issue. And even when he might have a good game, he will still dribble the ball off his foot, throw it out of bounds, or get the ball stolen when the team needs a good possession late in a game. This has happened far too often than it should.

This is the problem and frankly it is just the player Jrue is. Fans in Philly were all saying the same things.

Yeah, this is what I mean.

Jrue Holiday appreciation thread: not even a page deep and it's become the "here's why Jrue Holiday is actually garbage" thread.

Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Jrue Holiday appreciation thread: not even a page deep and it's become the "here's why Jrue Holiday is actually garbage" thread.

Ridiculous.
    Who called him "garbage"? Nevermind. Par for the course.

Ridiculous.
    I’m just not convinced of his fit on a young team. He would be infinitely more valuable to a veteran side like the Clippers, Sixers, Lakers, Rockets or Jazz. Hell, I think he could make a hell of a combo with CP3 in OKC. Gentry has never helped him to be fair.

Jrue for the last 2 years: top 20 player in the NBA

Jrue this year: clearly taken a step back, but still a top 50 player

Half the people on this board: ''Jrue is a bad player the majority of the time, we should definitely trade him, probably for some combination of mediocre players and terrible picks.''

I've seen people saying he has more low scoring games than high ones the fact is, he's averaging 20. If you're having far more low scoring games than high ones, you don't average 20.

He's played in 44 games so far this year. He's scored at least 18 points in 28 of them. That's about 64% of his games, well over half. You listen to half the people on this board, you'd think he was averaging 10 points a game on 39% TS% or something.

Jrue is clearly the best defender on our team. Only really Favors comes close. Very arguably our best halfcourt playmaker as well. If not the best, he's unquestionably top 3.

Nobody will deny that Jrue this year is not as good as Jrue last year. But the hate he's received from much of the fanbase is kind of ridiculous.
    Also, even if this was true, that doesn’t speak very well for us as a side. Again, I blame Gentry more for that than our players, but I disagree mainly because of his inconsistency. We are turbo garbage in the half court in general.

Ridiculous.
    You’re ridiculous. NOBODY here is calling him garbage or saying we should trade him for scraps. They are just pointing out some very valid and repeatedly proven shortcomings of our highest paid, most veteran player and rightfully asking whether he has a future on this team (whether that is a trade in the offseason if the value is there or not re-signing him when his contract is up).

I’m already on record as saying that the weak FA class this summer will likely lead to a good trade offer and I’m all for moving Jrue if that happens.

I see him as the final piece in a title winning side. Notice how in his last season when he was at his best on the offensive side of the floor, he had several players with an inside out game and a reliable when healthy floor general in Elfrid. That doesn’t mean that Jrue is the 4th/5th best offensive player on the team. It means that he thrives when he isn’t relied upon to be a creator or a no. 1/2 option. We’ve discussed this at length before Dae- he expends too much energy mentally on the defensive side of the ball. He isn’t the best leader and until we get that same type of setup we had last year Jrue won’t be nearly as effective. I think he will be highly coveted in the offseason.

The reason Jrue has only been an all star once his career is he is inconsistent. Plain and simple.

This is what sets him from a B player to an A.

Quote Originally Posted by pr1840 View Post
    You’re ridiculous. NOBODY here is calling him garbage or saying we should trade him for scraps.
    Lol, so ''trade Jrue for Gary Harris, Malik Beasley, and Denvers 1st'' isn't mediocre players and a bad pick? Okay then

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    The reason Jrue has only been an all star once his career is he is inconsistent. Plain and simple.

This is what sets him from a B player to an A.
    Sure, but who, might I ask, is expecting him to be an A player? He's our third option on offense. What he's doing is perfectly good for a third option, and most third scoring options don't also happen to be all-league lockdown 1-4 defenders, which Jrue is.

People critique Jrue as if he's supposed to be our star. Maybe they just bought into Griff's MVP talk too much and are using that metric to grade him by, idk, but in reality, Jrue's been fine in the role he's supposed to play. Not as good as he could be, sure, not as consistent as he could be, sure, but the shtick he's taken has been completely out of whack with reality.

Like I said, people acting like Gary Harris and Denver's FRP is a fair return for him in a trade. That alone tells you how much disrespect he's been getting from some people.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I see him as the final piece in a title winning side. Notice how in his last season when he was at his best on the offensive side of the floor, he had several players with an inside out game and a reliable when healthy floor general in Elfrid. That doesn’t mean that Jrue is the 4th/5th best offensive player on the team. It means that he thrives when he isn’t relied upon to be a creator or a no. 1/2 option. We’ve discussed this at length before Dae- he expends too much energy mentally on the defensive side of the ball. He isn’t the best leader and until we get that same type of setup we had last year Jrue won’t be nearly as effective. I think he will be highly coveted in the offseason.
    Sure, but again, that's not the issue. People are criticising him as if he's the first option on offense, which he just isn't. He's the third option now that Zion's back, and was still only 2nd while Zion was injured. If there was no other volume scorer on the team and this was all he could do, then sure, he'd be totally disappointing as your number 1 guy. But there are other volume scorers on this team, and he's the third option and he's absolutely, 100%, demonstrably fine at it.

Lol, so ''trade Jrue for Gary Harris, Malik Beasley, and Denvers 1st'' isn't mediocre players and a bad pick? Okay then
    I certainly never proposed that and agree that it’s not a sufficient return. Presume that’s why the Pelicans declined to trade him at the deadline - the value wasn’t there. We’ll see if that changes in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by pr1840 View Post
    I certainly never proposed that and agree that it’s not a sufficient return. Presume that’s why the Pelicans declined to trade him at the deadline - the value wasn’t there. We’ll see if that changes in the offseason.
    Sure, but that's what I meant when I said half the board was saying we should trade him for mediocre players and low value picks. That was a trade offer that was floating around, and people on this board were in for it. Again, not everyone (some people wanted MPJ as well, despite Denver saying in advance that they were not moving him), but a bunch of people. That's the issue.

If people want to trade Jrue because age, contract, or fit, then that's fine. We can have that discussion; hell, in the Trade Jrue thread, I had that discussion. But a lot of people are acting like he's a scrub and that we should trade him for yesterday's leftovers, and it's absurd.

Thread Information