Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jrue Holiday Appreciation Thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    You answered with a question; that's sad.

But here's another one for you just for fun. Drew's career or Brady's?
    And you are using the little red laser pointer to attract the kittens.
    You're question has Zero relevancy.
    You have gone from Maravich being "more often than not" worthless! Until PelicansFan called you out, then it was - He wasn't that good because you go by what his teams and teammates did, to, he definitely deserves a bust in the HOF, to trying to prove something not sure what) by comparing 4 of the top 20 QB's (and it would be top 10 w/out Bradahaw) of all time.
    If anything you've proven my point for me.
    I'd rather Bradahaws- Why? Because he won 4 SB's. How - Had 4 of the top 10 defenses of all time, 2 HOF WR's, HOF RB & 2 HOF OL.
    I'd rather Brady- Why? He has 6 SB ! How- Greatest NFL coach of all time. Plus, Brady is the greatest QB to ever play the game.
    So, I thank you for proving that who surrounds you is of utmost importance.
    If You put Marino on Bradshaws Steelers, they would not only have won 4 SB's they'd probably won more.
    Put Bradshaw on Marino's Dolphins k he may not have mad the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    And you are using the little red laser pointer to attract the kittens.
    You're question has Zero relevancy.
    You have gone from Maravich being "more often than not" worthless! Until PelicansFan called you out, then it was - He wasn't that good because you go by what his teams and teammates did, to, he definitely deserves a bust in the HOF, to trying to prove something not sure what) by comparing 4 of the top 20 QB's (and it would be top 10 w/out Bradahaw) of all time.
    If anything you've proven my point for me.
    I'd rather Bradahaws- Why? Because he won 4 SB's. How - Had 4 of the top 10 defenses of all time, 2 HOF WR's, HOF RB & 2 HOF OL.
    I'd rather Brady- Why? He has 6 SB ! How- Greatest NFL coach of all time. Plus, Brady is the greatest QB to ever play the game.
    So, I thank you for proving that who surrounds you is of utmost importance.
    If You put Marino on Bradshaws Steelers, they would not only have won 4 SB's they'd probably won more.
    Put Bradshaw on Marino's Dolphins k he may not have mad the playoffs.
    Maybe you are right, but we'll never know, will we (unless you really are omniscient)? I subscribe to another philosophy. As Bill Parcells once said, "you are what your record says you are".

Hey, look, if you would rather Bradshaw and Brady's career we are not that far apart. LOL
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-10-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Maybe you are right, but we'll never know, will we (unless you really are omniscient)? I subscribe to another philosophy. As Bill Parcells once said, "you are what your record says you are".

Hey, look, if you would rather Bradshaw and Brady's career we are not that far apart. LOL
    Bradshaw's completion % was 51%. With almost as mAny INT's than TD's.
    So, to expand on your hypothetical question---> If you needed a QB & Bradshaw & Marino were the 2 available, who would you choose?
    Or let me toss this one as dessert ! Marino or Eli Manning ?

Bradshaw's completion % was 51%. With almost as mAny INT's than TD's.
    So, to expand on your hypothetical question---> If you needed a QB & Bradshaw & Marino were the 2 available, who would you choose?
    Or let me toss this one as dessert ! Marino or Eli Manning ?
    Knowing what we know now, HoF'er Bradshaw (4 Lombardi's) /Manning (2 Lombardi's).
    Knowing what we knew when they came out...let's see...

Bradshaw First pick in his draft
    Manning First pick in his draft
    Marino late first rounder in his draft.

Arguably, both Bradshaw and Manning went to inferior teams.

Again, 'you are what your record says you are'.

Tin, I don't have to do the research, I was there. For Truck Robinson, Spencer Heywood, Hall of Famer Walt Belemy, and Nate Williams, too. I was there for Apple Sanders, Fig Newton, Danny Hester and Rich Hickman, too.

He was to pro basketball as was Dan Marino to pro football. No more....no less.
    Did you REALLY compare Pete with DAN MARINO?? put down the crack pipe and check into Betty Ford Clinic ASAP. Pete changed the way the game was played!! He did things with a basketball in REAL games that NO ONE had ever done before . Marino was just a very good QB

Forget Pistol! I'm just happy to see Truck Robinson in action again. I was in the stands as a little kid for some of those games and Truck could hit that bank shot from 20ft out. I'd forgot he was averaging 16+ rebounds a game! Those Jazz games were a kick. Some kind of hokey give away almost every night. I had my give away Jazz nerf basketball for like 20 years...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Forget Pistol! I'm just happy to see Truck Robinson in action again. I was in the stands as a little kid for some of those games and Truck could hit that bank shot from 20ft out. I'd forgot he was averaging 16+ rebounds a game! Those Jazz games were a kick. Some kind of hokey give away almost every night. I had my give away Jazz nerf basketball for like 20 years...
    It was crazy back then. In 1975, we filled the Dome to set the NBA attendance record of just north of 26,000. The Jazz had started great and were 5-1 going into the game with the Lakers. It was Kareem vs. Pistol Pete, but with the game still tight, people in the stands were chanting "We Want Fries" because Burger King was offering free fries if the Jazz scored 110.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    It was crazy back then. In 1975, we filled the Dome to set the NBA attendance record of just north of 26,000. The Jazz had started great and were 5-1 going into the game with the Lakers. It was Kareem vs. Pistol Pete, but with the game still tight, people in the stands were chanting "We Want Fries" because Burger King was offering free fries if the Jazz scored 110.
    My brother worked for Shoe Town, so I was able to get the Shoe Town $2 tickets. I have a Jazz wooden bat from those time. Wish I still had the Pistol Pete shoes they sold during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    My brother worked for Shoe Town, so I was able to get the Shoe Town $2 tickets. I have a Jazz wooden bat from those time. Wish I still had the Pistol Pete shoes they sold during that time.
    I sat next to Maravich in the theater. The movie was Blazing Saddles. He was actually sitting in the theater by himself. I have his autograph.

I sat next to Maravich in the theater. The movie was Blazing Saddles. He was actually sitting in the theater by himself. I have his autograph.
    Pretty cool. That would have been exciting.

Getting back to the original thread topic, I know I will appreciate Jrue a lot more if he puts the clamps on Lillard tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Dago75 View Post
    Getting back to the original thread topic, I know I will appreciate Jrue a lot more if he puts the clamps on Lillard tonight
    Jrue did exactly that (for the second time this season). Let me be the first give credit where it's due - Jrue had another very good game last night. Shut down defense and very solid playmaking again. Not surprising that the Pelicans thrive when "good Jrue" shows up. Would still like to see him take less 3 point shots. It's not his strength - much better driving to score or facilitate - and there are better shooters around him that he can facilitate for (JJ, BI, Melli, Etwaun, Hart). No reason for him to be taking almost 6 3PA's per game (career high). If he can cut that in half, it would help him in developing the offensive consistency that we all want to see from Jrue to go along with his stellar defense.

Jrue once again putting in an incredibly impactful game. Yet again the best halfcourt playmaker on the team. Yet again the best perimeter defender on the roster.
    Basketball.

Perhaps Grif does wait to offseason to move him. His stock is much higher now.

Quote Originally Posted by pr1840 View Post
    No reason for him to be taking almost 6 3PA's per game (career high). If he can cut that in half, it would help him in developing the offensive consistency that we all want to see from Jrue to go along with his stellar defense.
    Three 3s per game is insanely low for a guard. Rondo is taking 3 3s per game in 21 minutes. The pels need Jrue to continue to shoot those off the dribble 3s if they want teams to respect him in the PnR. No one else on this team other than BI sometimes can hit a 3 off the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Three 3s per game is insanely low for a guard. Rondo is taking 3 3s per game in 21 minutes. The pels need Jrue to continue to shoot those off the dribble 3s if they want teams to respect him in the PnR. No one else on this team other than BI sometimes can hit a 3 off the dribble.
    Jrue shoots off-the-dribble 3s at about 37%, which is perfectly fine.

The issue for him, weirdly, is catch and shoot attempts; he's only shooting something like 32% on those. If anything, I'd like to see Jrue shoot more off the bounce and less off the catch.

The reverse is true for Ingram by the way. Ingram shoots a blistering 42% on catch and shoot opportunities, but is a god-awful dumpsterfire off the dribble, shooting only 29.2% on those attempts. Which is why, as the season has gone on, Ingram has largely stopped taking 3s off the bounce. He sucks at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The reverse is true for Ingram by the way. Ingram shoots a blistering 42% on catch and shoot opportunities, but is a god-awful dumpsterfire off the dribble, shooting only 29.2% on those attempts. Which is why, as the season has gone on, Ingram has largely stopped taking 3s off the bounce. He sucks at them.
    Yea I think this is just an expected side-effect of a reworked shot. Vinson completely changed the way that Ingram stands when taking a 3, but I'd assume they didn't have enough time to change his feet off the dribble. We have to remember that Ingram only started practicing like a month before preseason began.

Getting off topic on a Jrue Holiday thread but if I could add 2 things to Ingram's game offensively, it would be the pull up 3 and euro step. He's flashed that euro a few times, but if he could make it a regular thing, he'd be unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Yea I think this is just an expected side-effect of a reworked shot. Vinson completely changed the way that Ingram stands when taking a 3, but I'd assume they didn't have enough time to change his feet off the dribble. We have to remember that Ingram only started practicing like a month before preseason began.

Getting off topic on a Jrue Holiday thread but if I could add 2 things to Ingram's game offensively, it would be the pull up 3 and euro step. He's flashed that euro a few times, but if he could make it a regular thing, he'd be unstoppable.
    Oh I'm not blaming Ingram for it. His leap this year from 3 has still been very very impressive, and it's totally possible the off-the-dribble threes improve with time as well.

Though it does bring up an interesting discussion:

Let's say you have 2 shooters. Both of them average about 39% from 3, and both take about 6 3PAs per game.

One has Ingram's shot profile; a blistering catch and shoot rate, but a pretty dreadful pull-up/off-dribble rate. 42% C&S, 29% pullup.
    The other has a less impressive C&S profile; only about 39%. But their pull-up game is much better; maybe 37.5%, ish.

Who is the ''better'' shooter, in your eyes, despite both taking identical volume and hitting the same percentage overall?

I'd be inclined to think the second guy, even though he's not as good necessarily at any single thing. His ability to hit threes in both pull up and C&S situations makes him a more versatile shooter, and I put quite a lot of weight on the ability to create the shot for yourself. Would you agree?

You have no credibility to talk about BI

Trading Jrue would be the dumbest move this team could make. Very few teams that are realistic destinations for him this offseason I would even consider taking a package from that would be a possible scenario. He does so many things for this team that people just ignore because he doesn’t go off for 25+ points every night. He had a slow start to the season after basically going through an entire roster overhaul and somewhat different role in our system. With Ingram and Zion as our 2 stars going forward he is the perfect 3a/3b player on a contending team in NOLA. Excited to see Jrue and Lonzo continue to develop alongside each other as well.

I’ll be honest, I expect him to revert back to sluggish Jrue for the first half of next season too.

Having said that, Jrue was phenomenal tonight. This is exactly the form you want him to be in heading into the playoffs.

Jrue since Feb 8th (basically the last month, 12 games):

20.9 points
    9 assists
    5.8 rebounds
    1.7 steals
    0.5 blocks

50.8%FG
    41.4%3PT (5.8 attempts per game)
    68% FT (pretty much the only negative here)

2.7 TOs per game (3.3:1 AST:TO, there)
    +103 cumulative +/- over this stretch

Thread Information