Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: We need a new Coach ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    I never saw him post political content on this site or on The Bird Writes.
    You are in for a big shock on his Twitter page

https://twitter.com/fish_tbw
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-02-2020 at 10:06 PM.

He needs to go, it's a sweet and sour deal at this point. If w make the playoffs and get put out by the Lakers gentry may still keep his job, missing the playoffs would almost ganruntee a firing.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    He needs to go, it's a sweet and sour deal at this point. If w make the playoffs and get put out by the Lakers gentry may still keep his job, missing the playoffs would almost ganruntee a firing.
    The problem is people still feel sorry for Gentry . Ask Philadelphia if they feel sorry for Brett Brown right now.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    I promise nothing that happens this season makes any difference in whether or not Gentry keeps his job. Griff has likely known that answer since he took the job as VP.

I keep beating this drum, but it doesn't make sense to move from Gentry until the find THE GUY. Moving on from Gentry to another middle tier coach will only set this roster back. If and when they make a move, it needs to be to a coach who can make a legitimate difference. If that guy isn't available/located yet this summer, it would not be the worst thing in the world to wait one more season, as much as we as fans don't want to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I promise nothing that happens this season makes any difference in whether or not Gentry keeps his job. Griff has likely known that answer since he took the job as VP.

I keep beating this drum, but it doesn't make sense to move from Gentry until the find THE GUY. Moving on from Gentry to another middle tier coach will only set this roster back. If and when they make a move, it needs to be to a coach who can make a legitimate difference. If that guy isn't available/located yet this summer, it would not be the worst thing in the world to wait one more season, as much as we as fans don't want to hear that.
    This, exactly. I'm for making a move, if the right guy is out there. Gentry is not the long term answer at head coach. However, you stand to lose so much more than you gain if you make a move for the wrong guy right now.

Nick Nurse was the guy in Toronto. It does not have to be a flashy name. If you are looking to develop players this guy does a nice job at it.

https://www.mavs.com/team/coaches/jamahl-mosley/

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Nick Nurse was the guy in Toronto. It does not have to be a flashy name. If you are looking to develop players this guy does a nice job at it.

Bingo. You aren’t getting Pop or Phil, or Doc or Nick. I don’t know what people are describing when they describe “The Guy” but if he is a mediocre retread you can count me out. Budenholzer was legit in Atlanta, got ******** canned and is back doing solid things in Milwaukee, I would be fine with that type of retread.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Bingo. You aren’t getting Pop or Phil, or Doc or Nick. I don’t know what people are describing when they describe “The Guy” but if he is a mediocre retread you can count me out. Budenholzer was legit in Atlanta, got ******** canned and is back doing solid things in Milwaukee, I would be fine with that type of retread.
    Look at what Mike Malone is doing in Denver. Former assistant back when we were the Hornets.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I mean...was Nick Nurse a lock to be considered a great coach before recently? Sometimes you never know what assistant is ready to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean...was Nick Nurse a lock to be considered a great coach before recently? Sometimes you never know what assistant is ready to step up.
    Well we don't really have the benefit of trial and error. As bad as it sounds, the FO is in a position where they have to nail the hire.

Well we don't really have the benefit of trial and error. As bad as it sounds, the FO is in a position where they have to nail the hire.
    Exactly. Precicesly why I wanted Gentry gone before the season. Next guy has to be good from the go. Now they won’t get that extra season (if the FO even removes Gentry which I’m beginning to doubt).

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Exactly. Precicesly why I wanted Gentry gone before the season. Next guy has to be good from the go. Now they won’t get that extra season (if the FO even removes Gentry which I’m beginning to doubt).
    I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that Gentry's going to be the coach next year too.

Then we'll get another season of dreadful lineups, poor minute management, baffling strategy, and misguided defense, and we'll also get another season where the talent (assuming Zion takes a standard rookie-sophomore growth and Ingram maintains his offense from this year) manages to override that and, health willing, we manage to make the playoffs again and therefore any and all criticism of Gentry will be dismissed (again) as mindless hate.
    Basketball.

If you know anything about the Benson's, you must know how incredibly loyal they are to employees who they perceive as doing their job. So unless Griffin is able to convince Ms. Benson that Gentry is not the guy to lead them to a championship, the coach will remain the same. Fortunately for those of us that believe a change of head coach would be a good thing, Griffin can see and appears to be able to communicate. As soon as Griffin decides on a successor, the change will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    If you know anything about the Benson's, you must know how incredibly loyal they are to employees who they perceive as doing their job. So unless Griffin is able to convince Ms. Benson that Gentry is not the guy to lead them to a championship, the coach will remain the same. Fortunately for those of us that believe a change of head coach would be a good thing, Griffin can see and appears to be able to communicate. As soon as Griffin decides on a successor, the change will be made.

She did make the move to get rid of Demps. A very big positive for the organization.

We got the Demps successor right. So I would have confidence in Gayle.

I thought the premise of Griffin being here was that he had FULL authority over the process and team. As in, he would make all the decisions necessary including finding a new coach if necessary. Gayle probably knows zilch about basketball so she handed the reins over to a guy who had turned franchises around a few times. Im more than willing to let Griffin make the decisions including keeping or getting rid of gentry in the offseason.

Does Alvin understand that to win games down the stretch against the better teams you have to at some point be able to execute in the half court? You are not going to be able to routinely impose your will against those types of teams.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Well that sucked.

Anyone have a list of great assistant coaches who are do for a head coaching gig, cuz Gentry needs to get gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    Does Alvin understand.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Well that sucked.

Anyone have a list of great assistant coaches who are do for a head coaching gig, cuz Gentry needs to get gone.
    Impressive resume

Another name,

Tim Duncan Assistant Coach Spurs. Perfect for Zion growth. He could lure good FA’s too.

By the way Tim Duncan Head Coached the Spurs tonight and won.

An assistant from the Miami Heat coaching staff would not be bad either. Anything from Riley is good!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    Getting Ms. Gayle on board with that isn’t a concern to me. Not like they’d cast Gentry aside. He’d still be in the organization. And I have Alberto qualms about it. .

Tim Duncan/Bexky Hammon are big names, but I think the Spur system(Not the 2000s system) is what our team needs. A structured and disciplined offense that prioritize half court offenses while attacking the transition opportunities.

We got talent. We got high IQ players. We got players that understand how to play team defense, but this all transition offense in this garbage positionless system creates sooo many liabilities.

I will say... We do need an elite defensive anchor 4/5 and a floor general point guard to make the wheels go in the Spurs system, tho.

I

Thread Information