Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: We need a new Coach ASAP

What would you think about Mike D'Antoni, if I'm not mistaken the Rockets didn't give him a contract extension, and if they have their usual flame out in the playoffs, there is a good chance he won't get renewed. While he has a lot of the same negatives in his system as Gentry does, at least he's proven that he can win in the regular season, something that Gentry hasn't shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    What would you think about Mike D'Antoni, if I'm not mistaken the Rockets didn't give him a contract extension, and if they have their usual flame out in the playoffs, there is a good chance he won't get renewed. While he has a lot of the same negatives in his system as Gentry does, at least he's proven that he can win in the regular season, something that Gentry hasn't shown.
    Pass. I think for us to win a chip. We have to start focusing on half court and team defense development. We can't outscore teams. We don't have that scoring talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Pass. I think for us to win a chip. We have to start focusing on half court and team defense development. We can't outscore teams. We don't have that scoring talent.
    Enter Dave Joeger

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean...was Nick Nurse a lock to be considered a great coach before recently? Sometimes you never know what assistant is ready to step up.
    Enter Chris Finch

The problem with Dave is that he butts head with management.. im sure he did it in sac and i think he did it in memphis as well... he is a good coach though.

A name that has connections with Griff. is Tyronn Lue. I believe this is who the Lakers were trying to get last year. Downfall is a large price tag that not even Lakers we’re willing to pay.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    A name that has connections with Griff. is Tyronn Lue. I believe this is who the Lakers were trying to get last year. Downfall is a large price tag that not even Lakers we’re willing to pay.
    Man, I am at the point where I don’t care who they hire. Just get Alvin the F up outta here. Dude is beyond trash at what he does. He never takes blame either. It’s disgusting!

Gentry is trending on Twitter and it's not pretty

Whoever the new coach is has to make sure he keeps Vinson on the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Whoever the new coach is has to make sure he keeps Vinson on the staff.
    That is the problem firing Gentry. Usually, a coach would want to bring in "there" guy. Delayed rebuild is going kill us.
    Actual proof Greivis Vasquez can throw Anthony Davis an Alley-OOP on an (kinda) fastbreak!

How bad is this team's coaching? Can anybody honestly say that they have seen Jaxson or NAW improve from preseason to date? I sure see no improvement. Jaxson is totally lost defensively. You can actually see him thinking the game and not playing the game offensively and he is befuddled every time the whistle blows against him. NAW, on the other hand, is buried so deep on the bench that you have to wonder if he has a future in basketball at all. This was definitely a lost year for both players. It's a good thing they are both so young, but 'come on, man', some improvement should have been evident by now. Good coaching would have brought their positives to the fore.

The thing that bothered me the most about the Lakers and the Timberwolves games are the lack of effort on defense. I’m not talking about the silly mistakes. We literally took plays off and it cost us both games. You have to get into the players heads and demand that effort. At least against Dallas the effort was there, but it was always going to be an uphill battle with our lack of structure towards the end of games.

On the offensive side, we play a rapid pace whilst not actually being that efficient. Our numbers are inflated because we take shots in the beginning of the shot clock. Thank the lord Lonzo was hot because that could have been a blowout. Slow the game down when it is necessary. Run a half court offense that our guys can actually execute. Transition is all well and good if you take care of the ball. Don’t keep throwing reckless passes and running reckless plays and wonder why we aren’t winning games.

If Gentry doesnt go. We need to fire Griifin ����**♂️

With one minute left in the 4th here are our possessions:

1:06: Derrick Favors defensive rebound
    0:59: Ingram misses 26 ft 3 pointer (elapsed time: 7 seconds)
    0:36: Pelicans get ball at midcourt after time out (Curry hits 3 pointer)
    0:29: Ball misses 26 ft 3 pointer (elapsed time: 7 seconds)
    0:27: Favors get offensive rebound
    0:19: Favors misses 22 ft 3 pointer (elapsed time 8 seconds)
    0:10 Pelicans get ball at midcourt after time out (Curry hits one of 2 FT)
    0:09 Pelicans get ball at midcourt after time out (Hardeway Fouls)
    0:07 Melli hits 23 foot 3 to tie game.

So with a minute left in the game and Pels up by one, The Pels proceeded to take four threes in less than one minute.

All I can do is scratch my head.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

So with a minute left in the game and Pels up by one, The Pels proceeded to take four threes in less than one minute.

Not sure what happened in that sequence with Ball and Favors. I am sure Ball was told to try and get a 2 for 1, but what was Favors doing heaving up a 22 footer instead of passing the ball? It was almost as if he thought the clock was about to expire.

They had a bad stretch of heaving 3s before this.

There is no planned structure to execute, so it shows up like this. Like there is nobody on the court nor on the sidelines that says "we need a good shot and let's try to get it inside."

There is no voice of leadership like that anywhere on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    They had a bad stretch of heaving 3s before this.

There is no planned structure to execute, so it shows up like this. Like there is nobody on the court nor on the sidelines that says "we need a good shot and let's try to get it inside."

There is no voice of leadership like that anywhere on this team.
    In my mind, either Williamson needs to post up, or Holiday has to take his man to the goal (perhaps both). A score, any score, could have turned the game in our favor as our defensive strategy (if we have one) would have caused the game to play out differently.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Enter Chris Finch
    Just a side note. Sounds like Cleveland will stick with J.B. Bickerstaff and not go through a coaching search.

https://cavsnation.com/cavs-why-clev...ll-time-coach/

Elevating Finch might not be bad idea.

Yep, Alvin knows talent when he sees it. This from Yahoo Sports.....

"Christian Wood is going to be a free agent this summer, and the man will finally get the longterm contract he's been searching for. Wood has been a beast since Detroit dumped Andre Drummond, and the youngster was back at it on Saturday night. Wood logged a game-high 38 minutes and matched his career-high with 30 points (13-of-24 FGs, 4-of-6 FTs) and added 11 rebounds and two assists for good measure. Over the last month, a 12-game sample-size, Wood is averaging 21.9 points (on 53.1% shooting), 10.2 rebounds, and 1.6 made 3-pointers. He rank's inside the top-40 overall in nine-cats during this stretch. Congrats to those fantasy GMs that scooped him up off the wire. You may win a 'chip because of it."

Yep, Alvin knows talent when he sees it. This from Yahoo Sports.....

"Christian Wood is going to be a free agent this summer, and the man will finally get the longterm contract he's been searching for. Wood has been a beast since Detroit dumped Andre Drummond, and the youngster was back at it on Saturday night. Wood logged a game-high 38 minutes and matched his career-high with 30 points (13-of-24 FGs, 4-of-6 FTs) and added 11 rebounds and two assists for good measure. Over the last month, a 12-game sample-size, Wood is averaging 21.9 points (on 53.1% shooting), 10.2 rebounds, and 1.6 made 3-pointers. He rank's inside the top-40 overall in nine-cats during this stretch. Congrats to those fantasy GMs that scooped him up off the wire. You may win a 'chip because of it."
    Bring in Wood and trade for Jarrett Allen. Dump all the dead weight at guard.

Now we got a solid team that got pieces and simply needs to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Bring in Wood and trade for Jarrett Allen. Dump all the dead weight at guard.

Now we got a solid team that got pieces and simply needs to develop.
    May be tough to get Wood on an MLE now.

Thread Information