Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th February - New Orleans Pelicans vs Milwaukee Bucks - 20-30

Well, this is going about as well as i would expect against the best team in the east

Zion gets fouled again by Giannis. No calls, again.

Honestly, Giannis is an incredible defender, but if this was being called foul-for-foul, he'd be fouled out already.
    Basketball.

Here's how the Pelicans use Zion in the halfcourt:

They give the ball to Zion, stand around the arc, and watch.

Between the elite Bucks defense and a few dodgy calls, Zion is 3/12 from the floor. He has never missed 9 shots in a single game before.

Excluding the possibility of a crazy efficient second half, his run of games above 50% shooting is probably coming to an end tonight.

Hall of Famer
    Great test for zion the one thing that could trouble him over time is length

Fun fact: Zion's worst shooting game in college was 44.4%FG.

If he shoots under that tonight, it will be his worst shooting night since before he started at Duke.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    That was a pretty play. Would have been even more insane if Zion got it in.

Have got to stop trying to throw alley oops into heavy traffic. 9 times out of 10 it will not end well.

But our stupid bubble head coach probably encourages it.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Ingram cannot defend Giannis. Noted.
    Not too many can.. Not much to note really.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    What's cool is that you can see Zion is taking this matchup as a test and not backing down.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

And you see how a smart teams runs their offense through their best offensive players.

This team has Etwaun shooting one pass long 2s with Ingram on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    What's cool is that you can see Zion is taking this matchup as a test and not backing down.
    Absolutely. He's gone right into Giannis' chest about 5 times already. He's been doubled nearly every time, and fouled nearly every time, and it has not deterred him even slightly.

Why is Etwuan still out there?

The team constantly falling apart at end of halves

My favourite part of this game is how when Zion was being guarded by Giannis, they didn't stop passing it to him, and now he's being guarded by Pat Connaughton, they absolutely are not interested

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Why is Etwuan still out there?
    He's less of a defensive liability than Redick.

Can't be upset with this performance, so far. Great half against a good team.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

E'Twaun Moore finished the quarter with the starters....not Jrue.

Jeeze. Etwuan out here tryna get ready for the big bad wolf

End of the half. We're up 61-58 despite a lot of ugly basketball. The reason? We hit a bunch o' threes. The well dried up towards the end of the second quarter, which is why the lead shrank, but still: 10 threes in the half isn't bad.

First Half Statlines:

Ingram: 16 points, 4 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 steal, 1 block. 5/8 shooting (62.5%), 2/5 from 3 (40%). 3 turnovers, 2 fouls.
    Lonzo: 9 points, 8 rebounds, 0 assists. 3/5 shooting (60%), all from 3. 2 turnovers, 1 foul.
    Zion: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists. 3/13 shooting (23.1%). 2 turnovers, 2 fouls. Worst shooting game of career so far.
    Jrue: 5 points, 0 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block. 2/6 shooting (33.3%), 1/2 from 3. 2 turnovers, 1 foul.
    Favors: 0 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block. 0/1 shooting. 0 turnovers, 1 foul.

Odds are that Lonzo isn't going to go 60% from 3 all game, and Ingram may well miss some too, so the question is where the rest of the offense is going to come from. Jrue has been great defensively and as a distributor, but he needs to finish better. I get that that's difficult at the rim against the Bucks, but it's still true.

Secondly, Zion has to have a more efficient second half. Part of that is himself calming down a little bit; he's rushed a few of these shots. Part of it is the team needing to play differently around him; it's easy for the Bucks to just collapse on him when the other 4 guys are doing nothing on offense. Gotta have something else going on the draw attention. And for the love of God, maybe try getting Zion the ball in motion? We did it once and it was great. Do it some more.

I don't know if I've ever seen a player go this cold for this long as we're seeing with Jrue. He's such a great dude it's so painful to watch.

Yeah. Defensively he has been stout. And has been pretty much all season.....I still believe in him. Hope he ignites soon.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 02-04-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I don't know if I've ever seen a player go this cold for this long as we're seeing with Jrue. He's such a great dude it's so painful to watch.

Yeah. Defensively he has been stout. And has been pretty much all season.....I still believe in him. Hope he ignites soon.
    I genuinely don't know where this idea that he's been cold forever has come from.

In January he shot 44/39/85. That's not incredible but it's not like he's been averaging 38/32/75 or something. He shot pretty well in January.

Edit: I had seen those figures on Twitter and after posting them I felt like they were wrong, so I checked them. They are wrong, but not by a crazy amount: in January Jrue shot 45/36/78. Still, not horrible. And if you just take his games since he came back off injury, it's been 48/39/74.

So again, the original figures I posted were off not sure why, but the point still stands. It's not like he's been shooting terribly for ages and ages.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 02-04-2020 at 07:49 PM.

What a stupid foul Jrue!

Zion would not have gotten that last foul they gave Giannis.

Hall of Famer
    Sink or swim lets see

Thread Information