Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trading Jrue?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Trading Jrue?

Are y’all for trading Jrue? What would you expect in return?

I say send him to the Pacers.

PELS receive: CENTER Turner, POINT GUARD TJ Mcconnell, and SF McDermott

PACERS receive Jrue, Moore, and a LAKERS first round pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Maybe throw in Kenrich if they want

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Are y’all for trading Jrue? What would you expect in return?

I say send him to the Pacers.

PELS receive: CENTER Turner, POINT GUARD TJ Mcconnell, and SF McDermott

PACERS receive Jrue, Moore, and a LAKERS first round pick.

Why are we so he!! bent on trading those Laker draft picks and players. Let the season run it's course. The future is amazingly bright.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Trade him for further out future pick(s) (2021 or later) and an expiring/bad contract (depending on compensation/length). We can always bundle that/those pick(s) and our other picks for a better player or to move up or a vet.

I’m just tired of the stupid turnovers and terrible shot selection. If jrue can chill with those...I’m all for keeping him.

2 realistic Holiday trades that are tempting...

Nuggets get SG Holiday
    Pels get SG Harris, SF Porter Jr., and Denver 1st round pick

Heat get SG Holiday and SG Moore
    Pels get SG Herro, SF Winslow, PG Dragic, and Miami 1st round pick

Nah
    Basketball.

Why would we trade Jrue for a Center with Zion, Favors, and Hayes all on the team?

The type of move I'd make for Jrue is if I could get a guy like Lillard. Even then, I think Jrue is probably the better playoff player, but Lillard is the better regular season player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nah
    Agreed. I would only want one player in return that plays as well as Jrue when actually using their basketball IQ. They also have to be ok with being third best scorer but an efficient and consistent one. That’s a tall order, so doubt that happens because we would most likely have to move picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    2 realistic Holiday trades that are tempting...

Nuggets get SG Holiday
    Pels get SG Harris, SF Porter Jr., and Denver 1st round pick

Heat get SG Holiday and SG Moore
    Pels get SG Herro, SF Winslow, PG Dragic, and Miami 1st round pick
    I don't think Miami can trade a 1st rounder until 2025.

Lonzo and Jrue compliment each other perfectly, I’m good.

Nah
    What will it take for you to finally contemplate trading Jrue lol.

I don’t think it’s possible.

BUT..... if you can somehow get Porter Jr from the Nuggets..... you take that trade and run!

I honestly don’t care what we do.... as long as Jrue is gone I’m good with it. He’s killed us and frustrated the crap out of me 10 too many times this season.

Read on my phone so don't have the link, but Lowe has a bunch of stuff about trading Jrue in his latest column (why won't these rumors die?). Mentions that Denver won't trade Porter and Miami won't trade Herro but says those are two good fits for Jrue.

''We need to trade Jrue, Jrue sucks, the team plays so much better without Jrue, Jrue holds Lonzo back, yadda yadda yadda''

Reality:

Jrue has not been nearly as great as his past two seasons this year. But the fact remains that even at this, somewhat disappointing, level of production, he's been one of our best players and his impact is obvious and tangible. When he's on the court, we're better than when he's not.

The idea that trading him for Gary Harris (who, by the way, for all of those who get annoyed by Jrue's inconsistency, is also massively inconsistent) would represent an on-court upgrade is a joke. Harris has been worse than Jrue at almost everything for the last several years, and while he is cheaper than Jrue, it's not by a massive amount: he still has 2 more years on basically $20m per after this. It's not like he's some budget friendly option.

Meanwhile, Woj seems fairly consistent on the fact that Denver is not moving MPJ, so that option seems unlikely. If they move him, it's not going to be as a throw-in.

''We need to trade Jrue, Jrue sucks, the team plays so much better without Jrue, Jrue holds Lonzo back, yadda yadda yadda''

Reality:

Jrue has not been nearly as great as his past two seasons this year. But the fact remains that even at this, somewhat disappointing, level of production, he's been one of our best players and his impact is obvious and tangible. When he's on the court, we're better than when he's not.

The idea that trading him for Gary Harris (who, by the way, for all of those who get annoyed by Jrue's inconsistency, is also massively inconsistent) would represent an on-court upgrade is a joke. Harris has been worse than Jrue at almost everything for the last several years, and while he is cheaper than Jrue, it's not by a massive amount: he still has 2 more years on basically $20m per after this. It's not like he's some budget friendly option.

Meanwhile, Woj seems fairly consistent on the fact that Denver is not moving MPJ, so that option seems unlikely. If they move him, it's not going to be as a throw-in.
    Don’t the turnovers kind of negate that though? His terrible passing decisions and execution are infectious. I know he is being asked to play point guard more but a player with his experience should be smarter with the ball regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Don’t the turnovers kind of negate that though? His terrible passing decisions and execution are infectious. I know he is being asked to play point guard more but a player with his experience should be smarter with the ball regardless.

Nope. TOV% is factored in to on-off value. That is: even with the increase in turnovers that comes with Jrue being on the floor, the Pelicans are better than without him. The other things he does provide enough value to offset that.

Obviously Jrue isn't as valuable as someone like Lebron James, but think about how Lebron's always high in terms of turnovers per game, yet provides monumental value nonetheless. Would Lebron be better if he turned it over fewer times per game? Yes. But the value he provides otherwise is enough to offset that negative.

In regards to the Nuggets, I am only taking a deal including MPJ and a first, otherwise no trade. It’s that simple. How bad do the Nuggets want Jrue?

Harris, MPJ, and a 1st is the only fair deal that makes sense.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 02-03-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Just a reminder that when you talk about trading Jrue, this is what he is on this team:

- 1st among guards in BPM on the team
    - 1st on the team in SPG
    - 1st on the team in deflections (also 1st in NBA)
    - 1st on the team in Wins Added (PIPM measurement)
    - 1st on the team in Wins Added (RPM measurement)
    - 2nd on the team in PPG
    - 2nd on the team in PIPM
    - 2nd on the team in loose ball recoveries
    - 2nd on the team in APG
    - 2nd on the team in VORP
    - 2nd in FG% among guards on the team
    - 2nd in FTAs among guards on the team
    - 3rd on the team in BPG
    - 4th on the team in RPM (after Zion, Favors, and Hart, in that order)
    - 5th on the team in On/Off rating

Along with being one of the only guys on the team who can create their own shot (only 27% of his 2pt shots are assisted, lowest on the team among all players with at least 500 minutes played, as well as the lowest assist 3pt shot rate, at 50%), and having a real argument for best perimeter defender (one on one, I'd argue that this is indisputable, but his team D has taken a step back this year).

Just a reminder that when you talk about trading Jrue, this is what he is on this team:

- 1st among guards in BPM on the team
    - 1st on the team in SPG
    - 1st on the team in deflections (also 1st in NBA)
    - 1st on the team in Wins Added (PIPM measurement)
    - 1st on the team in Wins Added (RPM measurement)
    - 2nd on the team in PPG
    - 2nd on the team in PIPM
    - 2nd on the team in loose ball recoveries
    - 2nd on the team in APG
    - 2nd on the team in VORP
    - 2nd in FG% among guards on the team
    - 2nd in FTAs among guards on the team
    - 3rd on the team in BPG
    - 4th on the team in RPM (after Zion, Favors, and Hart, in that order)
    - 5th on the team in On/Off rating

Along with being one of the only guys on the team who can create their own shot (only 27% of his 2pt shots are assisted, lowest on the team among all players with at least 500 minutes played, as well as the lowest assist 3pt shot rate, at 50%), and having a real argument for best perimeter defender (one on one, I'd argue that this is indisputable, but his team D has taken a step back this year).
    He is also a horrendous offensive player in the fourth quarter, routinely plays below his capabilities in big games/good teams, turnover prone, and only has 1 year left on his contract after this season.

MPJ is a rookie forward with extreme potential to mesh with the young talent we already have and, Gary Harris is a solid defensive SG on a slightly better contract than Jrue. I know he is a downgrade to Jrue. Jrue doesn’t fit the timeline of this team’s future. MPJ 21, and Harris 25 do.

Has Jrue’s great defensive ability ever really translate to great team defense for us or sustainable team success for that matter?

Jrue will fit perfectly with Denver, and a far superior coach in Malone will get the best out of him.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 02-03-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Give me a minute and let me find out how Mike Malone would feel about this trade.

I would not trade Jrue unless we were offered a deal we could not refuse.

He is also a horrendous offensive player in the fourth quarter.
    Am I the only one who remembers like, the last two years? Including the 2017-18 season where he was a top 10 clutch time scorer in the NBA, and had one of the lowest assisted shot %ages in the league during that time? That is, am I the only one who remember the time when Jrue was one of the league's best offensive players in the 4th?

Now, obviously, Jrue isn't playing that well right now in the 4th. I'm not claiming that he's some magic wizard who has never done anything wrong. But rather than assuming it's just Jrue being terrible, maybe we should consider the context? What has changed about this team that Jrue's on, in comparison to that team that Jrue was on, that may be impacting his play? Just a little something to think about.

MPJ is a rookie forward with extreme potential to mesh with the young talent we already have
    Which is precisely why a team like Denver, which is also relatively young, and which is also lacking tons of extremely good forwards, will be reluctant to trade him. It's already been put out there by Woj that Denver are not planning to move MPJ. If you want him, you will be sending out assets. Forget us getting Harris, MPJ, and a 1st, we'd be sending out Jrue + Someone + a first of our own.

Has Jrue’s great defensive ability ever really translate to great team defense for us or sustainable team success for that matter?
    One player cannot be a whole defense. As we are all intimately familiar: those same teams that Jrue was having bad team-defense on, are the same teams that Anthony Davis was having bad team defenses on, and he's been in the top 5 for DPOY twice and will very possibly win it this year. Are we going to pretend that AD's defense wasn't particularly great or impactful or important now too? Come on, you know this.

In regards to the Nuggets, I am only taking a deal including MPJ and a first, otherwise no trade. It’s that simple. How bad do the Nuggets want Jrue?

Harris, MPJ, and a 1st is the only fair deal that makes sense.
    I don’t know what world you’re living in.... but it must not be this one!

There is no way in HELL Denver does that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would not trade Jrue unless we were offered a deal we could not refuse.
    Basically this.

Thread Information