Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Mount Zion Thread

Hall of Famer

The Mount Zion Thread

Not going to talk about the next potential great?

ALL THINGS ZION

He's not even in shape yet and looks pretty unstoppable. It doesnt take much for this dude to flood the stat sheet. Pels are very blessed to have him

I hope after All-Star break we actually run plays for him and give him good passes

He should be used like Draymond

Also still too many defensive possessions where he doesn’t know where he needs to be, but I just bring that up because I want the best for my large son

Before he was drafted, I said that Zion had (if he puts everything together properly) top 10 all time potential. I still believe that.

His off ball defense has been a bit of a mess so far this season but that's to be expected: we aren't a good team anyway on that end of the floor in general so it's not like he can slot right into a perfect system, and you have to remember that before debuting for us this year, he had played a total of 4 real basketball games in the prior 10 months. Dude is, with all due respect, rusty as hell.

But in pretty much all other ways, he's shown why he's going to be a star already. He needs to get his FT shooting back together (tonight was a good sign there), incorporate more ball-handling (that's more on coaching than him personally) and get that off-ball D together, but otherwise he's been great already
    Basketball.

Hall of Famer
    On ESPN just saw a stat the Pels are out scoring teams by 51 points with Zion on the court

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Not going to talk about the next potential great?

ALL THINGS ZION

He's not even in shape yet and looks pretty unstoppable. It doesnt take much for this dude to flood the stat sheet. Pels are very blessed to have him
    He's unguardable Speakthetruth in my 50 years of playing/ watching basketball I've never seen anything like him.Shaq in his prime is the closest.But Shaq needed to be close to the basket to dominate, Zion can explode in space 10 to 15 ft from the basket off the dribble.He has the fastest reaction time I've seen since Dennis Rodman.His instinctive second jump off of a missed shot is just amazing.He's a physical marvel the most explosive player ever.Nobody can handle him one on one the best teams can do is clog the lane very similar to trying to stop Giannis.

On ESPN just saw a stat the Pels are out scoring teams by 51 points with Zion on the court

Take a look at that On-Off

Just saw Ross Homan, a draft analyst for The Stepien, post a fun little thing.

Zion has played a grand total of 125 minutes. In that time, he has made 36 2pt field goals. That translates to one 2pt field goal every 3.4 minutes.

Here are some other rookies this year, and their numbers for comparison. The lower the number, the better.

Player Name Total Minutes Played 2PT Field Goals Made Minutes per 2pt FG
    D'Andre Hunter 1492 140 10.65
    RJ Barrett 1281 163 7.86
    Cam Reddish 1189 87 13.66
    Brandon Clarke 912 196 4.65
    Ja Morant 1282 249 5.15
    Jordan Poole 894 46 19.43
    Matisse Thybulle 824 27 30.51
    Darius Garland 1449 136 10.65
    Coby White 1221 117 10.43
    Rui Hachimura 729 136 5.37
    Eric Paschall 1183 200 5.91
    Tyler Herro 1236 118 10.45
    PJ Washington 1294 138 9.37
    Jaxson Hayes 880 142 6.19
    Nickeil Alexander-Walker 494 37 13.35

I used rookies from throughout the draft, and I avoided using guys who have only played like, 40 minutes at the ends of blowouts and stuff. These are all guys who have actually played minutes (Even if in some cases, it's fewer minutes than we might want... NAW!)

You can see that while there's a wide range of 2pt-rates here, going from Brandon Clarke and Ja Morant's fairly quick rates all the way down to Matisse Thybulle and Jordan Poole's glacial paces, no one other than Zion gets below 4 minutes. Clark comes closest, but still takes over a minute longer than Zion per 2pt make.

This is Speed.

Zion is the first player in 40 years to average at least 19 points and 60%FG through their first 5 games. The last to do it was Michael Brooks in 1980. Before that, Dan Issel in 1976: those three are the only three to do this.

Brooks' career was relatively mediocre (played only 6 seasons, averaged 13 points and 6 rebounds) but Issel was an ABA champion, 6x ABA all-star, 5x All-ABA Team Member, averaged 23/9 for his career, and the Nuggets retired his jersey.

So not bad.

Per 36 Zion is averaging 28 - 11 - 3

He’s not even in shape yet and still working out the kinks, he is going to average 30 - 13 - 5 one day

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Zion is the first player in 40 years to average at least 19 points and 60%FG through their first 5 games. The last to do it was Michael Brooks in 1980. Before that, Dan Issel in 1976: those three are the only three to do this.

Brooks' career was relatively mediocre (played only 6 seasons, averaged 13 points and 6 rebounds) but Issel was an ABA champion, 6x ABA all-star, 5x All-ABA Team Member, averaged 23/9 for his career, and the Nuggets retired his jersey.

So not bad.
    To take this a step further, I saw a similar comparison regarding points, rebounds and %FG in their first 5 games. Players with 19/7/60%, other than Zion? None. Shaq was like 19/7/55%, And there were several at 18/7/60%, with a lot of big names included.

I mean hes just a few games in and already doing unseen before stuff.

Grabbing the ball from behind the backboard and laying it is tough to do even if you are playing bball in the pool!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    To take this a step further, I saw a similar comparison regarding points, rebounds and %FG in their first 5 games. Players with 19/7/60%, other than Zion? None. Shaq was like 19/7/55%, And there were several at 18/7/60%, with a lot of big names included.
    Was it this post, from me? If so, it's 18/7/50%. The 60% is the real kicker, very few really reach that, especially with any sort of volume.

But there's no denying that while he hasn't reached his ceiling yet (far from it), he's still a legit player right now. He's really good. Has yet to exceed 30 minutes in a game, and is averaging 19.2 points and 7.8 rebounds on 62.5% shooting (40/64).

List of rookies to ever average at least 19/7.5 on 60%FG in NBA history: nobody.
    List of rookies to ever average at least 19/7 on 55%FG in NBA history: Shaq
    List of rookies to ever average at least 18/7 on 50%FG in NBA history: Shaq, Walt Bellamy, Kareem, The Admiral, Tim Duncan, Marques Johnson, Magic, Hakeem, Adrian Dantley, Blake Griffin, Bill Cartwright, KAT, Alonzo Mourning, Ralph Sampson, Terry Dischinger, Terry Cummings.

This is good company to be in.

So not bad.
    50% bust chances confirmed!

Small Sample Size Alert

But still, incredible stuff early from him.

Hall of Famer
    Mount zion indeed

31 9 and 5

Mount zion indeed

31 9 and 5
    In 28 mins

Hall of Famer
    It will be interesting to see if zion keeps playing like this and morant keeps playing this, but pels make the playoffs and grizz dont. Does zion win ROY? I still think he wouldn't due to missed games

But pels getting the playoffs would be the only chance for zion to steal the award

It will be interesting to see if zion keeps playing like this and morant keeps playing this, but pels make the playoffs and grizz dont. Does zion win ROY? I still think he wouldn't due to missed games

But pels getting the playoffs would be the only chance for zion to steal the award
    I feel like the playoffs are an absolute requirement for Zion to get real consideration.

No-one in NBA history has ever won ROTY playing as few games as Zion will. Zion is probably going to finish the year having played something like 35 games: the fewest games any ROTY winner has played before this year was Patrick Ewing, and he played 50 games.

It reminds me a little of Embiid's rookie year. Embiid averaged 20/8/2, but he only played 31 games and that was a big part of the reason that Brogdon won ROTY, despite only averaging 10/3/4. The voters care about how much you play, and to be honest I don't blame them; you aren't eligible for DPOY or MVP unless you play in at least 55 games, so surely there has to be some limit for ROTY, right?

That's why playoffs are the big requirement for me. If Zion led the Pelicans to the playoffs after his return, bumping Morant's Grizzlies out of that spot, and had better statistics, that would be enough to overcome the games-played differential. If Morant plays more games and beats Zion's Pelicans out for the playoffs? No way Zion wins.

Zion makes offense so easy for the WHOLE TEAM. It's such a luxury just to run a simple post up and have a 60% chance at 2 points. A luxury most teams don't have. I'm so excited with the way the team is built and the pieces we have. I'm glad Griff didn't trade anyone at the deadline. I think, more than anything, it's a testament to the chemistry this squad has. I think the team does have an impressive win streak in them to finish out the year. Maybe sneaks into the playoffs. Would be so happy if they did.

This team is legit, didn’t even have Ingram last night. The future with Zion Ingram Hayes and Lonzo is amazing, not to mention maybe naw developing, future picks, and owning the Lakers picks for 5 years. The future is insanely bright.

Stephen A Smith looked like he was going to bite his lip this morning.

This is spectacular!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...can-match/amp/

"Williamson, who's averaging 21 points per game, has scored at least 20 points in seven of his first nine career games, which puts him, yet again, in historic company. Per ESPN stats and info, Williamson is the only player over the last 30 seasons to accomplish that feat. The only two players who've come close are Shaquille O'Neal and Grant Hill, who both scored 20 points seven times in their first 10 career games."

"The last rookie to score at least 14 points in each of his first nine games was Dikembe Mutombo in 1991-92. Prior to that, a couple of guys you may have heard of were the most recent to achieve such a mark."

The other two most recent were Jordan and Ewing.

Small Sample Size Alert

But still, incredible stuff early from him.
    Dumb question but what is Rim volume? Thanks

Thread Information